Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electoral Register - EU Elections - What a Joke

Options
  • 19-02-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering, did anyone else who is a EU citizin (not Irish) "miss" out on registering themselfs for the EU elections in june because of the ridiculour tight deadline Louth CoCo put on the applications?

Just trying to find some other people that have the same problem as me, because i DO want to vote for the EU elections, but I can't. I can vote on the local one on june the 5th and at the same vote for the EU in my native country... :confused: Shall I just split myself in 2???

Here why I can't register myself:

Received the letter with the application on Tue 17/02. Read it and realised application had to be BACK at Louthcoco on MON 16/02. Gave them a call on wed, they said, you can still bring in today before 4PM as we had other people calling in over this problem and the lady would have a manager to call me back. She called me back around 4PM and said, sure, you bring still bring it in, we need to have before THURS Noon.(FYI: date on the letter says 11/02).

That would have been ok if I hadn't other commitments wich make it imossible for me to just get time of to go from Drogheda to Dundalk and bring in the application!

So, since I didn't register, not allowed to vote.

I don't agree with the way this happenend though and am wondering if any one else has experienced the same? How can they expect to have the forms back if they send out the letters on the 11th -and therefore taking into consideration that An Post sometimes isn't the fasted postservice in the world- and have it filled in, Stamped by the Gardia and send back before the 16th!!! T is just ridiculous...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

A friend had the same problem, she got her letter on the 13th and it had to be in by the 16th, so she isn't voting either.
    Sounds like a bit of a scam to me in all honesty. I'd be p!$$ed if it were me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

annex wrote: »
    A friend had the same problem, she got her letter on the 13th and it had to be in by the 16th, so she isn't voting either.
    Sounds like a bit of a scam to me in all honesty. I'd be p!$$ed if it were me.

Would your friend still like to vote? I am talking to some councillers of the Drogheda Borough Council & Louth County Council to sort this out.

If she wants I can put her details forward as well, since it would make a stronger case if there's more people that aren't able to vote due to the amateurism of LouthCoCo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

I will send her this link and let her contact you if she would like to. But she is in Dundalk.

annex wrote: »
    I will send her this link and let her contact you if she would like to. But she is in Dundalk.

That's no problem, Drogheda & Dundalk both go via the Louth CoCo.

I would just like to find some other people with the same problem who are willing to "fight" the system and try to get this solved.

Allright, thanks for some of the suggestions, the problem is solved.

I was talking to someone in Louth County Council today and she told me they need to receive all applications before the 18th of May.

The only reason they put up a deadline on the registration is too make sure "people don't forgot to send them in".

So, if anyone (EU citizins) hasn't send in the form just yet (EP1) form, you can still bring it in or request it from your local county council.

I still think though they might be losing out on some eligible voters since people (myself included) might think they have missed the deadline and therefore don't bother sending out the application.

But anyways, I can vote, so I'm happy redface.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement