Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electoral Register - EU Elections - What a Joke

Options
  • 19-02-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭

Electoral Register - EU Elections - What a Joke
    Hi

Just some advice needed here on what would be the best way to solve this problem???

---Original message posted in the Louth Forum
    Just trying to find some other people that have the same problem as me, because i DO want to vote for the EU elections, but I can't. I can vote on the local elections here in Drogehda on june the 5th and at the same date vote for the EU in my native country... confused.gif Shall I just split myself in 2???

Heres why I can't register myself:

Received the letter with the application on Tue 17/02. Read it and realised application had to be BACK at Louthcoco on MON 16/02. Gave them a call on wed, they said, you can still bring in today before 4PM as we had other people calling in over this problem and the lady would have a manager to call me back. She called me back around 4PM and said, sure, you can bring it still in, we need to have before THURS Noon.(FYI: date on the letter says 11/02).

That would have been ok if I hadn't other commitments wich make it imossible for me to just get time of to go from Drogheda to Dundalk and bring in the application!

So, since I didn't register, not allowed to vote.

I don't agree with the way this happenend though and am wondering if any one else has experienced the same? How can they expect to have the forms back if they send out the letters on the 11th -and therefore taking into consideration that An Post sometimes isn't the fasted postservice in the world- and have it filled in, Stamped by the Gardia and send back before the 16th!!! The deadline was way too tight in the first place, I'd almost think it was done on purposs! T is just ridiculous...

Plus, parties could be missing out on a fair bit of votes as well... And I really want to vote, as I think it is an immportant thing to do...Should I talk to my embassy? Write a complaint letter to Louthcoco? Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

contact your MEP's and MEP candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Yup, that's what I'm doing, contacted a cllr and TD here in Drogheda, they will address the issue and try to find a solution.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This is not a very hard problem to solve.

You can register to vote any time up until 15 days before the ballot. Details on http://www.registertovote.ie/ You will go on the 'supplemental register'.

This is not a very hard problem to solve.

You can register to vote any time up until 15 days before the ballot. Details on http://www.registertovote.ie/ You will go on the 'supplemental register'.

Thanks for that, but unfortunalty that doesn't work.

I am registered to vote in Ireland for a long time now, but for the EU elections you need to put another application in so Ireland & the native country can make sure there s no double votes. And that's the one I not able to register for.

Where is this application form for checking for double-registration?

This procedure is news to me and I don't see anything about it on the usual places where you find out about these things.

• Advertisement

Where is this application form for checking for double-registration?

This procedure is news to me and I don't see anything about it on the usual places where you find out about these things.

Well, normally the county where you are registered to vote should have send out the form to EU citizins living in Ireland.

Here's what the letter says:
    In accordance with articles 4, 9 and 13 of council directive 93/109/EC of 6th Dec 1993 to be able to vote in Ireland in the EU elections you will need to complete the attached form and return it to Louth County Council...

On the form itself it says:
    1. This form must be completed by EU citizins living in Ireland who wish to register to vote at EU elections
    3. The information contained in this form will be forwarded to you home member state to guard against double voting at the election.

So that's why. There's not much info about online, have done a bit of research myself. I have been contacted in the meanstwhile by some other people in the Louth area with the same issue and we will try to fix the problem.

So if you fill in the form and send it in, what's the problem? They forward it on to your home state before June and that's the end of it.

Have you furnished this information and they are refusing to register you?

The problem is that I received the form AFTER the requested deadline for returning it, and that, therefore, my application is not valid since I didn't meet the deadline for bringing it in.

Have you sent in the late registration form? Or just the regular one?

Allright, thanks for some of the suggestions, the problem is solved.

I was talking to someone in Louth County Council today and she told me they need to receive all applications before the 18th of May.

The only reason they put up a deadline on the registration is too make sure "people don't forgot to send them in".

So, if anyone (EU citizins) hasn't send in the form just yet (EP1) form, you can still bring it in or request it from your local county council.

I still think though they might be losing out on some eligible voters since people (myself included) might think they have missed the deadline and therefore don't bother sending out the application.

But anyways, I can vote, so I'm happy :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement