Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHY WAS "Agencies Faking Jobs...." locked??

Options
  • 19-02-2009 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Why was it locked???? No one was rude? no names (I think) where mentioned?

Tom Dunne was just pointing out that the anon recruiter bashing in other threads by company name and sometimes individual name is a disgrace hence my outburst, you've made some good points its just in general everyone is being tarred same brush......

If you check my posts you'll see my reasonably objective, if sometimes sarcstic, viewpoint.....

The YAWN was because this theme has been done a lot........

As for the personal issues comment, how did you know :D

FH
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'm guessing because that same topic is continuously discussed in various threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭flash harry

well that is true not doubt, but like was curious as to why that particular thread as opposed to ones where people were liabled??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

where people were liabled??

Careful now, none of the legal speak.

Why don't you PM the moderators?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I think that people are just sick of a debate like a broken record. The thread was going nowhere and would only have degenerated into an insult flinging match.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

I would like to see those who are recruitment agents come forward and say whether or not jobs are faked - ever. I dont think we got a conclusive answer to this, so I also dont see why the thread was closed.

• Advertisement

It's a fact that the majority of agencies post fake job adverts. It's an easy way to get CVs. They then add those CVs to their CV database, and forward them (solicited or unsolicited) to companies who are hiring.

It only takes 10 seconds to send your CV to an agency, so you are better off just sending it to them anyway, even if you know the job advert is probably fake. It will increase your chance of getting a job.

If we can all just accept that and move on...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

kazzer wrote: »
    I would like to see those who are recruitment agents come forward and say whether or not jobs are faked - ever. I dont think we got a conclusive answer to this, so I also dont see why the thread was closed.

Ah now, do you really think people are going to openly admit to posting fake jobs? :)

Here's a suggestion - how about somebody (flash harry?) start a thread about fake job adverts. When one is found (shouldn't be too hard :)) both harry and the poster actually follow it through with a complaint to the agency itself, the agency federation body and the advertising standards authority.

No more sniping, bitching, arguing, only action.

I would do it, but I am not currently looking for a job, so I wouldn't have the time to dedicate to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Yes some agencies do post fake jobs to try and build up their database for future positions. However I am not sure why those agencies are doing that now considering there are a huge number of quality candidates available.

The other reason is agencies want to get a CV to spec in to company "A" so that they may be able to deal with that company in the future. It is terrible considering the candidate will miss out on the opportunity with that company because the agency will never tell them that the company shot them down so send in your CV direct.

These agencies are going to go under in this climate. Problem is when the market get's better for every 1 that went under 5 new ones will spring up that will repeat the process.

I work in IT recruitment myself. I hate the bad press agencies get but I think most people can see that it is not every single agenct out there. But majority rules in most cases.

Oh and I don't do anything mentioned above in case people were going to comment on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Moved to Feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

mrpink6789 wrote: »

+1, I could write this post myself.

• Advertisement

However I am not sure why those agencies are doing that now considering there are a huge number of quality candidates available.

Habit?

Don't know any better?

Want to appear as if they're working hard so they don't get laid off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭flash harry

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Ah now, do you really think people are going to openly admit to posting fake jobs? :)

Here's a suggestion - how about somebody (flash harry?) start a thread about fake job adverts. When one is found (shouldn't be too hard :)) both harry and the poster actually follow it through with a complaint to the agency itself, the agency federation body and the advertising standards authority.

No more sniping, bitching, arguing, only action.

I would do it, but I am not currently looking for a job, so I wouldn't have the time to dedicate to it.

jeez moderators wanna take a valium or something...."name and shame" thread actually mentioning names and we're getting locked/moved etc.....

Tom Dunne - while i could not personally do it I would put someone with a genuine complaint in touch with a media friend of mine who would be only to happy to do something with it. I cant do it as I know someone who is high up in a recruitment co who are very active in NRF and dont want them to suffer as result. That said I continually tell people to complain and no one has ever followed through AGAIN easier to post anon on boards.ie.....

AARRRGH wrote: »

Want to appear as if they're working hard so they don't get laid off?

Posting 50 jobs a day won't help you keep their job? Not sure if that's what you are getting at though so apologies if you were not.

These agents will be found out sooner rather then later considering the way thing's are going so they will eventually disappear.

I have a brochure here form the NRF because our agency is a member. It is written that only real jobs can be posted. It does not say though that you can't put up an advert of a company you are not dealing with so these agencies who are putting up posts to try and get a good CV to deal with the client aren't actually breaking the rules.

It also points out that the worse thing the NRF can do is expel an agency from the NRF. I have worked for 3 different agencies, 2 of them were members of the NRF and believe me it did not make one bit of difference if you were in it or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Guys, I used to work for a fairly prominent recruitment agency in Cork and I can tell you that 'Yes' it is common for these agencies to post fake jobs.

In answer to a previous poster.. whats the benefit to doing this now, when there are plenty of suitable and willing candidates available? Well the structure in a lot of agencies is Target based. For example a recruitment officer may be set a target of 50 new C.V.'s a month... if they meet this target they get a bonus. The same applies for jobs .... however as the jobs are now few and far between the guys are making up even more jobs to get the cv's in to meet their targets, this ensures they get a bonus and also looks good on their profile if job losses are an issue in the agency.

jobucks wrote: »

In answer to a previous poster.. whats the benefit to doing this now, when there are plenty of suitable and willing candidates available? Well the structure in a lot of agencies is Target based. For example a recruitment officer may be set a target of 50 new C.V.'s a month... if they meet this target they get a bonus. The same applies for jobs .... however as the jobs are now few and far between the guys are making up even more jobs to get the cv's in to meet their targets, this ensures they get a bonus and also looks good on their profile if job losses are an issue in the agency.

Wait am I reading this right. So a recruitment officer makes up the "fake" jobs to get the CV's in, even though they are fake jobs he/she still kepps their job just based on the number of CV's they got in?

As I said I'm in IT Recruitment and if I was to put up 50 jobs today and get a few hundred CV's on Monday by boss wouldn't be impressed at all, I'd be looking for work myself by Tuesday.

Just to remind everyone that your are now posting in the FEEDBACK forum, hence the bulk of replies so far are completely off-topic.

Just to remind everyone that your are now posting in the FEEDBACK forum, hence the bulk of replies so far are completely off-topic.

Seems like we are making progress though on the original topic and since that has been closed........

Seems like we are making progress though on the original topic and since that has been closed........

Really - wow well then keep us abreast of your findings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Wait am I reading this right. So a recruitment officer makes up the "fake" jobs to get the CV's in, even though they are fake jobs he/she still kepps their job just based on the number of CV's they got in?

As I said I'm in IT Recruitment and if I was to put up 50 jobs today and get a few hundred CV's on Monday by boss wouldn't be impressed at all, I'd be looking for work myself by Tuesday.

I got out of there within 8 months... not my cup of tea and a real cut-throat industry. I was also working for an IT recruitment company :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Prawo Jazdy

Fake jobs got fake workers. IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

jobucks wrote: »
    I got out of there within 8 months... not my cup of tea and a real cut-throat industry. I was also working for an IT recruitment company :)

It really depends on the company not on the sector. My targets are not structured like that - yes I tally candidates presented (I won't say CVs sent b/c it's more than that, the candidate is interviewed and fully briefed about the role) to document my activity but if I was spending my time posting fake jobs (which costs huge money BTW) & sending out irrelevant CVs to make up the numbers I'd be looking for work very soon. What matters is a successful placement, what's more a placement that lasts and both the candidate and the company are very happy with it and therefore with our services.

It irks me that the industry has such a bad name but I can't really be surprised if some muppets choose to do their business this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I know for fact they don't take down filled jobs very quickly either.

Advertisement