Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how does negative marking work on an MCQ?

Options
  • 19-02-2009 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

I have to do 50 questions on an MCQ.

If I answer 30 and get these correct, do I get marked out of 30 i.e 100% or out of 50 i.e 60%?

If i get 10 wrong I lose 20% right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

pathway33 wrote: »
    I have to do 50 questions on an MCQ.

If I answer 30 and get these correct, do I get marked out of 30 i.e 100% or out of 50 i.e 60%?

If i get 10 wrong I lose 20% right?

Answer to the first part is you get 60%. Otherwise people would answer one question they knew the right answer to and get 100% from 1/1.

Example: If it's +2 for a right answer, -1 for a wrong answer and you attempt 35 questions and leave 15 blanks then you can get a maximum of 70%.

Say you answer 30 right and 5 wrong, you'll get 60% (30 x 2) - 5% (5 x 1) for 55% total. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The exact marking scheme is set by the examiner for the exam - there is no single standard that says what positive or negative marks are. If you are asking about an end-of-semester exam, it might be the same as a previous exam on SIS.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

bnt wrote: »
    The exact marking scheme is set by the examiner for the exam - there is no single standard that says what positive or negative marks are. If you are asking about an end-of-semester exam, it might be the same as a previous exam on SIS.

Same as the previous exam that wont be on SIS because mcqs aren't put up. Ask your lecturer, only he will know how much the negative markign is, if any.

Advertisement