Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD math/applied math/theoretical physics

Options
  • 19-02-2009 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Is pure mathematics the only science subject which does not have a practical component at PhD level?
    I.e. would applied maths/theoretical physics have a practical component at PhD level (would there be labs associated with doing a PhD in a.m./t.p.)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

shmux wrote: »
    Is pure mathematics the only science subject which does not have a practical component at PhD level?
    I.e. would applied maths/theoretical physics have a practical component at PhD level (would there be labs associated with doing a PhD in a.m./t.p.)?

I would say it depends entirely on the subject matter you and your supervisor wish to focus on. I have seen engineering PhD's and others without practical components.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

For TP/applied maths, it'd be more of a computational component than a lab component, though that would really depend on what the area of your research was.

Advertisement