Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great english ales, which ones and where to get them

• 19-02-2009 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

I really like strong english ales of late, Bishop's Finger, Old Peculiar, that kind of thing.

Does anyone have any other recommendations on which are good and where to get them in the South Dublin area?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Redmonds of Ranelagh are one of the best, not bad selection of English a bit more that you normally see in other offie's but they where supposed in massively incress the range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Ah yes Redmonds, they have a great selection alright. Great staff too, have helped me picking some single malt scotch before and their suggestion turned out great (The Balvenie in case anyone is interested, not too peaty and great in a Rusty Nail... perhaps too great, better on it's own).

Any suggestions on ales themselves?

Fullers EBS is always a good choice, Fullers 1845 and their London porter is not to be missed when its around

Black sheep, ale and the Riggwelter is also very good when they have it

Brakspear also do number of good ales.

St peters Cream stout(don't let the mane confuse you) and Old porter are also very good and should not be missed

They also carry a few of the Broughton Ales, such a old jock a nice example of a wee heavy and the oatmeal stout ( ok but I did not really get the presences of the oats)

They also carry the like of Marston’s Old Empire, old speckled hen and Green king IPA but these are in clear bottle and can be light stuck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Any of the good beer off licences will generally have a selection of decent English beer. They're the green pins on this map.

I find Superquinn can be quite good too. That's where I buy my Hobgoblin.

BeerNut wrote: »
    That's where I buy my Hobgoblin.

Forgot about that one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

oblivious wrote: »
    Forgot about that one

anything from http://www.wychwood.co.uk/beers.htm is to be avoided in my opinion - for a while I kept going back and trying there different brews, but they're just bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

mayordenis wrote: »
    anything from http://www.wychwood.co.uk/beers.htm is to be avoided in my opinion - for a while I kept going back and trying there different brews, but they're just bad.

:eek: thats amazing..
    I'm a massive fan of brakkers (triple is remarkably nice imho), hobgob and i tried the bah humbug at christmas... I don't think they're bad..... especially when kept at a little above freezing to let the full flavour out...

FBP.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

They're definitely a mixed bunch. I like Hobgoblin, Pumpking, Oxford Gold and Brakspear Triple. Black Wych and Fiddler's Elbow are OK.

But Goliath, Bah Humbug, BeeWyched and Osprey are all terrible, IMHO.

Advertisement