Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And the winner of dreamer of the year is...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Patww79 wrote: »

There is of course the dodgy buyer as well. They can still rob the car off you, though. :p
    So, best seller advise:
    Don't give your name. use a disposable SIM and maybe even a disposable phone. Don't meet at home, don't give any personal details. Maybe wear a disguise.
    And to be absolutely sure, don't bring the car along. ;)

As a buyer, the above to me means the seller is a gangster, hasn't got a car for sale and will meet me with 17 people to rob the money off me.
    In that case how to buy a car now clashes with how to sell a car. The game is that the buyer wants to know as much as possible (because the seller is a gangster selling a write off) and the seller wants to hide as much as possible because the buyer is a gangster and wants to ron the car and the house.
    We live in a very suspicious world.

Best bit of advise for the seller:
    If you don't like giving your number, your address, details about your car or any details about yourself, as well as not having to talk to people on the phone, meet them, talk to them or get hassle afterwards: Sell to the dealer of go to we buy any car.
    If I don't want to be sold a stolen cut'n'shut lemon with dodgy mileage from some shady character, I go to a dealer. Oh no, wait...

That is absolutely true. I'd say most problems stem from the fact that people can't understand that fact.
    And yes, a lot of people on the rob. Might change my username to Rob Anybody :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I think the problem here might a total lack of trust on both sides! Sellers employing dodgy tactics to keep dodgy buyers at bay who won't buy anything from an obviously dodgy seller.. Hmmm.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Yeah buying can be hairy too, a friend asked me to call about a car he was interested in, he bigged me up to the seller saying I was doing a lot of work repairing cars etc.
    Anyway, rang about the car, asked the guy 2, maybe 3 questions about the car before he absolutley flips out on the phone, practically screaming at me.
    Suffice to say I waved my buddy off, but I did get a call a few days later "some guy" wanted me to look at his car as he was having random problem #101 with it.
    I explained that I don't do car repairs but had been talking to a nutter a few days back re a car and what happened.
    That was the end of the convo, for all I know it was a lad looking to square up, or they could have tried hanging me to the revenue.

^^^
    Any idea what the ad looked like? I would imagine it had "L@@K" and "I'm not lonely and looking for a chat" as well as the obligatory "no window lickers" in it that are the traditional calling card of the crank and loon. :D
    And probably used a spellchecker to make sure every single word was spelled incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...How did you ever survive the 70's?...

By avoiding interaction with crude Bakelite communications devices that are attached to buildings unless it was vitally necessary. I rarely need to speak to a building. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Yeah buying can be hairy too, a friend asked me to call about a car he was interested in, he bigged me up to the seller saying I was doing a lot of work repairing cars etc.
    Anyway, rang about the car, asked the guy 2, maybe 3 questions about the car before he absolutley flips out on the phone, practically screaming at me.
    Suffice to say I waved my buddy off, but I did get a call a few days later "some guy" wanted me to look at his car as he was having random problem #101 with it.
    I explained that I don't do car repairs but had been talking to a nutter a few days back re a car and what happened.
    That was the end of the convo, for all I know it was a lad looking to square up, or they could have tried hanging me to the revenue.
    To be fair I've had so called "mechanics" ring me and view my cars aswell, and it's clear as day when it's a chancer trying to look like they know something, even after 10 seconds on the phone :rolleyes:

millington wrote: »
    To be fair I've had so called "mechanics" ring me and view my cars aswell, and it's clear as day when it's a chancer trying to look like they know something, even after 10 seconds on the phone :rolleyes:

Surely that can also work to your advantage?
    Just tell them you had the reciprocal balancing shaft polished the other day and that the ectoplasm injection system you installed delivers at least 20% more upforce on the downstroke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Just tell them you had the reciprocal balancing shaft polished the other day and that the ectoplasm injection system you installed delivers at least 20% more upforce on the downstroke.
    ''Want to take a look at the flux capacitor?''

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Featuring the unique Piss-Up-A-Downpipe(TM) system that injects petrol underneath the piston crowns as well, generating 50% more power and efficiency and that, like a two-stroke only with less shrapnel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

http://www.adverts.ie/car/opel/corsa/1991-opel-corsa-for-sale/7921318

I'm not sure if anyone has posted the above yet but it gave me a good laugh! €800 for a 1991 Type A Corsa with no tax and no NCT.

Put it on Donedeal with a phone number on it for a realistic price maybe?

Sold about 10 cars this year on DoneDeal with no great issues, advertised a few on Carzone and got nothing but spam emails from it, not a single call even though they were all priced well below the Carzone average.

You seem to be causing yourself more of an issue by trying to avoid one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Without a number on the ad majority of serious buyers will just move onto the next car.

The aim was to avoid donedeal, but even though it went up there I definitely would never put a number on it. Having looked into it, a couple of dealers up north might just buy it from me which would really save a massive hassle.

http://www.carsboughtforcash.ie

The price offered may be disappointing... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

http://www.carsboughtforcash.ie

The price offered may be disappointing... :p

I chanced my arm with one of them when I was selling my car they offered me about a 1/4 to 1/3 of the cars value. Want to be seriously desperate to offload a car to them.

I chanced my arm with one of them when I was selling my car they offered me about a 1/4 to 1/3 of the cars value. Want to be seriously desperate to offload a car to them.

Oh yes. And they know that. ;)

• Advertisement

You're creating more hassle for yourself by trying to avoid the hassle. I really don't see your logic in this sale process at all :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You want to figure out in monetary terms how much dealing with a few potential messers is.
    You want/need to sell. There's no easy way to get the figure you want fir it without advertising it on the most popular website.

In years of selling cars on DoneDeal, nothing like that has ever happened me :confused: I'm truly baffled as to your objection towards it.

millington wrote: »
    In years of selling cars on DoneDeal, nothing like that has ever happened me :confused: I'm truly baffled as to your objection towards it.

VictorMeldrew_1604269c.jpg

:D;):P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-2008/10357782

Nice car, cheap tax, low mileage.
    Look at that price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Sold my car on DoneDeal last week in 24 hours. First person to call me and then come see it, drove away in it.

Can't get better than that! :)

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement