Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And the winner of dreamer of the year is...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

1994 Toyota Corolla with tax and nct

48236133.jpeg

Nice and clean.. But did they add an extra 0 to the price? :confused:
    7K. Seven thousand

Fooking hell

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

48236133.jpeg

Calling it Vintage is what adds the 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Calling it Vintage is what adds the 0.
    I messaged them and asked for the price to be clarified.....it's €7000 :eek:

For ****s and giggles I've asked this
    Other than give the car a good polish and clean up can I ask why it's nearly 8 times more expensive than any comparable Corolla that's for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

48236133.jpeg

They must have got the currency wrong.
    Call seller - Victoria Sokolowska

Maybe that's 7000 Polish Zloty's? (approx €1600)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

7k. What a bunch of absolute muppets. I'm going to buy one now for €300 and polish it and get 7k for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

WOW! €7.000

There is no way its worth that no matter how clean it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

They added "2 keys available. Brand new tyres. Clean inside and out. Spare wheel. 7K. Seven thousand."

Also wtf does 2 keys available mean? If you ask nicely they'll give you the second one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

They added "2 keys available. Brand new tyres. Clean inside and out. Spare wheel. 7K. Seven thousand."

Also wtf does 2 keys available mean? If you ask nicely they'll give you the second one?
    There should actually be 3 keys with it. 2 main keys (in black) and 1 valet key (grey colour)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Second key costs extra:D

Ridiculous price.

They won't get any phone calls. Some people think that an old car is a classic.

This car is not, and I really doubt it will be anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Damn it, I knew I should have hung onto grand dads corolla.
    In fairness it looks very clean, but jesus ****ing christ its a 1.3 corolla.
    Were they that new?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Damn it, I knew I should have hung onto grand dads corolla.
    In fairness it looks very clean, but jesus ****ing christ its a 1.3 corolla.
    Were they that new?

Some have an inexplicable horn for Toyotas and there's people out there that think they'll pay anything!

Clean enough looking car but Jaysus that's literally got another zero on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

166man wrote: »
    Some have an inexplicable horn for Toyotas and there's people out there that think they'll pay anything!

Clean enough looking car but Jaysus that's literally got another zero on it!

Many people's love for Toyota's and other Japanese stems from their reliability, availability and the performance of their base models when compared with other brands. Toyota's little 4efe is a prime example of this when compared with similar offerings from Germany and France. Toyota's and Honda's have gained a cult following from so called boy racers due to there almost indestructibility and the way in which their engines take "abuse". not many 1.6 engines outside of japan could hold up to the abuse 4age's get in ae86 corolla's up and down the country hence Japanese engines and in particular their petrol engines have a big following. Also many Toyota's handle better than some so called enthusiast's give them credit for, the credit that is blindly given to some other brands certainly isn't warranted sure some of the french/Italian cars handle very well but there are many offerings from these places that don't handle well at all and the same can be said of the German brands. Some of these motoring stereotypes are thrown about without anything to back them up, bar hearsay.

No one is going to pay 7k for an e10 1.3 corolla hence why it's a perfect offering for the dreamers thread however you worded your post as if to say well some fool will buy it because it's a Toyota however I can guarantee no one will because the attraction of Toyota's has and always will be reliability coupled with affordability. About a week ago there was a discussion as to whether a 20v 4age e10 hatchback was worth around 4k and I felt given rarity and the condition of the car in question that yes it probably was worth that sort of money however I seriously doubt any Toyota enthusiast would pay over 1.5k for a base model e10 regardless of condition.
    I would go so far as to say that you have an inexplicable hatred of Toyota given the tone of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

ba_barabus wrote: »
    There should actually be 3 keys with it. 2 main keys (in black) and 1 valet key (grey colour)

Was there a grey key in 1994? There was no immobilizer on this model.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Many people's love for Toyota's and other Japanese stems from their reliability, availability and the performance of their base models when compared with other brands. Toyota's little 4efe is a prime example of this when compared with similar offerings from Germany and France. Toyota's and Honda's have gained a cult following from so called boy racers due to there almost indestructibility and the way in which their engines take "abuse". not many 1.6 engines outside of japan could hold up to the abuse 4age's get in ae86 corolla's up and down the country hence Japanese engines and in particular their petrol engines have a big following. Also many Toyota's handle better than some so called enthusiast's give them credit for, the credit that is blindly given to some other brands certainly isn't warranted sure some of the french/Italian cars handle very well but there are many offerings from these places that don't handle well at all and the same can be said of the German brands. Some of these motoring stereotypes are thrown about without anything to back them up, bar hearsay.

No one is going to pay 7k for an e10 1.3 corolla hence why it's a perfect offering for the dreamers thread however you worded your post as if to say well some fool will buy it because it's a Toyota however I can guarantee no one will because the attraction of Toyota's has and always will be reliability coupled with affordability. About a week ago there was a discussion as to whether a 20v 4age e10 hatchback was worth around 4k and I felt given rarity and the condition of the car in question that yes it probably was worth that sort of money however I seriously doubt any Toyota enthusiast would pay over 1.5k for a base model e10 regardless of condition.
    I would go so far as to say that you have an inexplicable hatred of Toyota given the tone of your post.

Thanks very much for that essay, much appreciated.

I agree that Japanese cars can and do take abuse, and in recent years found myself much more educated with regards to what they can do. I actually like some Toyotas, early starlets, Celicas etc.

The issue lies for me with the fact that so much of their cars these days are just dire. The Avensis upto 2014 was a poor car, the Corolla and Auris likewise.

The Toyotas they make now aren't a patch on older models and I don't believe the quality and reliability is still there. The cars are so completely average and offer nothing to the customer that you can't get from their Korean competitors. They still only offer a three year warranty!!

The driving experience with the models mentioned above is so average, the interiors are poor quality with low rent plastics very visible and their engines in some cases are way off the mark, all imo of course.

3 year warranty is the norm among the top brands! BMW, vw, Honda all offer 3 year warranties, fiat only really offer a two year one from what I can remember so why is it that Toyota should be the first to jump to 7 like the Korean brands? Warranties don't effect reliability and the stats are there to be seen and despite what you say Honda, Toyota and Mazda are at the top regardless if their "short" warranties.
    All cars have plastic ridden interiors and over the last 15 years I've never seen buttons and trim wear in a Toyota any quicker than any other brand. In fact the German brands leave a lot to be desired particularly audi and their radio buttons. If you compare a 2014 2.0d4d avensis with a 2014 2.0tdi audi a4 both in 120bhp variants it's hard understand why the audi is dearer and the avensis is the better handling of the two (I've driven both as there both owned by family members) this trend is evident down through models and years corolla vs golf in the noughties, Toyota iq is a super little city car which is well received by many too. For me the sterotype that Toyota died in the 90's just doesn't ring true. When like for like models are compared Toyota generally come out on top or are equally as good as their revivals obviously a 190bhp 320d is a better drive than an avensis but that's comparing two massively different cars with two different price tags. What this new avensis is like with a more powerful BMW engine remains to be seen but hopefully Toyota will have been able to sort bmws inability to produce quality timing chains. Also toyota's use of the psa 1.4 Diesel engine from peugeot and Citroen is another example of Toyota taking a very good engine and just slightly improving it's reliability, as when compared like for like the corolla is well on top when compared against a 307 in reliability stakes. We could go on but it's pointless you have your own views and I have mine, it's just I fear many peoples negative views of Toyota are down to stereotypes. It's a shame the 3.5v6 camry isn't viable for the Irish market as that's a car that would really change many people perceptions/misconceptions about Toyota.

Corolla doesn't use the psa 1.4 hdi. The corolla is powered by Toyota's own 1.4d4d unit.

Some people deriding Toyota's driving characteristics and interior quality clearly have no experience of their current line up. Interior quality is very good on their latest cars.
    2013-toyota-auris-stitched-leather.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Corolla doesn't use the psa 1.4 hdi. The corolla is powered by Toyota's own 1.4d4d unit.

Some people deriding Toyota's driving characteristics and interior quality clearly have no experience of their current line up. Interior quality is very good on their latest cars.
    2013-toyota-auris-stitched-leather.jpg

"Mr.Mishioku, can you take a picture of that half a metre of leather we put in the car so people won't see the Fischer Price interior they're actually buying?"

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Was there a grey key in 1994? There was no immobilizer on this model.

There was in my dad's 94 Corolla. It had nothing to do with the immobiliser. You'd drop the car off for a valet and hand over the grey key. You were then meant to lock the boot with the black one. The grey key couldn't open it. Kind of a security feature. The grey key would only open the drivers door. The driver never had to leave they main key which would be attached to their house keys normally and also access to the boot was cut off for security.

We also had it in our 95 Carina. (The most unreliable car ever but Toyota bent over backwards to ensure my dad was one very happy customer)

Kind of a faff to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

At the risk of getting caught up in this, I am just curious as to the people who say toyota offer "fisher price interiors" and "low rent plastic" interiors, what are the dashboards in your cars made from? I though solid wood dashboards died out around the 70's?

For me, part of the charm of all of my 90's toyotas is the dashboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superwofy

At the risk of getting caught up in this, I am just curious as to the people who say toyota offer "fisher price interiors" and "low rent plastic" interiors, what are the dashboards in your cars made from? I though solid wood dashboards died out around the 70's?

For the most part, even with the higher end marques the dash is made out of hard plastic (rigidity). However, the areas that you touch (knees, elbows) are often made out of 'premium' materials such as soft-touch plastics or leather.

That's my take on it anyway. Sit in an FTO and you'll be greeted by acres of hard, black 90's plastic :cool:.

I actually like the user friendliness of those Corolla interiors.

10,000 views on that Corolla now, if only every user gave €1!

works out at around one view every 8 seconds since the ad was posted. getting a nice bit of exposure for an exceptional vehicle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

It's what goes over the injection moulded plastic that counts, all Japanese manufacturers have been guilty of faux texturing their interiors cheaply instead of upholstering properly.

But that cheapness allows them to spend mechanically I suppose, well in earlier years anyway.

It's what goes over the injection moulded plastic that counts, all Japanese manufacturers have been guilty of faux texturing their interiors cheaply instead of upholstering properly.

But that cheapness allows them to spend mechanically I suppose, well in earlier years anyway.

on the same tangent, what mainstream manufacturers upholster dashboards "properly"? and what with?

i think i've yet to be in a car, ever, where the dash wasn't primarily moulded plastic. admittedly some of the more exciting models have plastic wood, plastic aluminium and plastic carbon fiber, but ultimately in mainstream, day to day models, dashboards are plastic.

Good to know about the 1.4d4d unit I was sure it was a psa derived unit, learn something new everyday. I really do feel the stereotype of interiors isn't really applicable nowadays from what I've seen toyota's interiors are as good as the German equivalents, I feel what's distorts peoples perceptions is the trim level for example many people who buy a golf won't go for the base line spec they'll fork out the extra cash for something higher but a lot of corolla buyers will just buy the lowest spec it's just the general trend you see in Ireland, but from first hand experience the interior in a corolla is better than what you'd find in a base line golf (vw's poverty spec steering wheel is horrendous). I'm not out to argue with people or put down other brands but I feel some if the jap brands and in particular Toyota get unfair criticism when compared with the competition after all you don't get leather as standard with any brand so again I just fail to see what people expect from Toyota, all modern cars have plenty of plastic it's just how it is.

Getting back to the dreamer part I'd say the corolla's owner is getting some amount of calls and texts informing her of the extortionate price, I wonder how long she'll leave it up until she gets the message. I've seen middlen ae86 corollas sell for less!

you'd actually love to see a snapshot into her mind and see how she came up with that figure.

(first number of number plate + second number in number plate) x (number of seats x amount of headlights) x (quantity of wheel nuts) x (forward gears) - (CC's of engine - cost of a years tax) - (amount of letters in the word "Corolla"^2) - (the amount of door handles).

yeah, that was probably it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Nah they're shiote. They'll never break that's for sure but they're just awful to look at. Big swathes of un textured plastics in horrible colours and in places where you'd never find it on a nice car. Dependability and reliability is second to none. Desirability is up there with a time share holiday apartment in Syria.

• Advertisement

Nah they're shiote. They'll never break that's for sure but they're just awful to look at. Big swathes of un textured plastics in horrible colours and in places where you'd never find it on a nice car. Dependability and reliability is second to none. Desirability is up there with a time share holiday apartment in Syria.

What current Toyota has these "un textured plastics"? and what are the "horrible colours"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement