Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And the winner of dreamer of the year is...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

3 year warranty is the norm among the top brands! BMW, vw, Honda all offer 3 year warranties, fiat only really offer a two year one from what I can remember so why is it that Toyota should be the first to jump to 7 like the Korean brands? Warranties don't effect reliability and the stats are there to be seen and despite what you say Honda, Toyota and Mazda are at the top regardless if their "short" warranties.
    All cars have plastic ridden interiors and over the last 15 years I've never seen buttons and trim wear in a Toyota any quicker than any other brand. In fact the German brands leave a lot to be desired particularly audi and their radio buttons. If you compare a 2014 2.0d4d avensis with a 2014 2.0tdi audi a4 both in 120bhp variants it's hard understand why the audi is dearer and the avensis is the better handling of the two (I've driven both as there both owned by family members) this trend is evident down through models and years corolla vs golf in the noughties, Toyota iq is a super little city car which is well received by many too. For me the sterotype that Toyota died in the 90's just doesn't ring true. When like for like models are compared Toyota generally come out on top or are equally as good as their revivals obviously a 190bhp 320d is a better drive than an avensis but that's comparing two massively different cars with two different price tags. What this new avensis is like with a more powerful BMW engine remains to be seen but hopefully Toyota will have been able to sort bmws inability to produce quality timing chains. Also toyota's use of the psa 1.4 Diesel engine from peugeot and Citroen is another example of Toyota taking a very good engine and just slightly improving it's reliability, as when compared like for like the corolla is well on top when compared against a 307 in reliability stakes. We could go on but it's pointless you have your own views and I have mine, it's just I fear many peoples negative views of Toyota are down to stereotypes. It's a shame the 3.5v6 camry isn't viable for the Irish market as that's a car that would really change many people perceptions/misconceptions about Toyota.

I look at this post and the word "paragraph" comes to mind. If you're going to argue a point at least lay it out in a concise manner.

You expect me to take you seriously when in one section of the essay above you compare an Avensis to an Audi and then go onto say that an Avensis compared to a diesel 3-Series is massively different? A bit of consistency would go a long way here.

The Toyota Iq was a cool little car I agree but wasn't it massively overpriced?

Fiat are offering a 5 year warranty now by the way yet Toyota still only offer three, what does that say about the confidence they have?

I had an Avensis last year for a week or so and it was very poor. The interior was a complete letdown, cheap nasty plastics and the steering wheel and gearknob all faded and worn away etc. The engine was gutless too, 120bhp vs 140+ in the competition. I could go on and on!

Toyota have made and do still make some cool cars but most of their stuff is boring uninteresting and offers nothing new as the competitors have blown them away. Simple really, unfortunately some are just so blinded that they still think Toyotas are still made to a high quality, it's hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

^^^^
    Amen brother

I'm all for people recommending this that and the other but usually they have their head so far up their arse that when it comes out again they spew nothing but utter sh*t. Then throw a strop when people challenge them using "quotation marks" and IMO after every sentence to "play it safe and cover all angles"

Or go quiet because they know they're wrong, again, and are too thick to admit it.

Unfortunately, there are far too many of those type of dickhead about in our everyday lives. Obe boot does not fit all. What kind of sick twisted world are they living in eh...

My 2 cents. IMO EMO and all that usual crap ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I compared a 120bhp tdi a4 to a 120bhp d4d avensis so yes my comparison made perfect sense. A 190+bhp top spec rwd 320d with a much higher price tag isn't a fair comparison so I don't see why you can't understand what I've said.

Edit: apologies about getting the fiat warranties wrong I confused their 2 year pan European unlimited milage warranty with their actual 5 year/100,000km warranty however my point still stands about the other major manufactures offering 3 year warranties.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'm not saying you take pretty much any oppertunity to shoot Toyota down as a brand 166man, but, it's clear you do. Even though you often mask it at the end with an I kinda like their old **** type response. You should see some of your responses when people berate Fiat/ Alfa... You wish so dearly for people to enjoy and appreciate your marque of choice but simply can't seem to let people be to enjoy another even if it is for a reason as foolish as the reason you like yours.

I think a lot of Selectamatics responses were actually quite logical and grounded if you read them with a broad mind and hadn't got a response in mind before you even started reading.

Dreamers?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10733357

Fine car and all it is but €6k is never going to happen, no test, no (private) tax, needs paintwork and suspension work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Dreamers?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10733357

Fine car and all it is but €6k is never going to happen, no test, no (private) tax, needs paintwork and suspension work.

They're nice cars. That one isn't the best example though.

I'm not saying you take pretty much any oppertunity to shoot Toyota down as a brand 166man, but, it's clear you do. Even though you often mask it at the end with an I kinda like their old **** type response. You should see some of your responses when people berate Fiat/ Alfa... You wish so dearly for people to enjoy and appreciate your marque of choice but simply can't seem to let people be to enjoy another even if it is for a reason as foolish as the reason you like yours.

I think a lot of Selectamatics responses were actually quite logical and grounded if you read them with a broad mind and hadn't got a response in mind before you even started reading.

Just to clarify here TFB, I have driven enough newer Toyotas to know that I think they are absolutely below par. That's not a dig at you or anything so don't take it personally btw. An Avensis/Yaris/Corolla/Auris offer absolutely nothing over their competitors and if they do I'd like you to point them out to me.

That's actually not a "****" response. Dad used to have a 2.0 Carina absolutely brilliant car, his Avensis after that was a bag of dung.

You're mad for Toyota and that's not going to change. I think a quick look at my posts in recent times show I don't try and force Alfa on anyone. But I'm damn well entitled to offer an opinion on a brand that I think isn't what it used to be.

That's great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I think its sweet you 2 love a brand so much. Maybe the forum could chip together and get you an alfa and toyota bed linen for xmas :o

That's great :)

Classic.

Anyhow in the interests of dreamers thread came across this, this evening

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/10742300
    nissan

€14k for a Zx?? Clean low mileage car no doubt but it couldn't be worth that much....:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

That's at least 10k over priced.

A fine car the ZX :) twin turbo and manual too! But holy magumbos hes put a 1 at the start of the price... 20 years stored, the hicas would need deleted, rubber seals for the detachable roof would probably leak too... I can't fault them very much though, syncros can go weak but other than that what a machine :D:D

Oopsies, got carried away ;)

Anyone see that loolaa on dondella looking seven thousand for a red 94 corolla?

that's how the whole argument started like 4 pages ago :pac: if i had time on my hands i'd love to follow up on it, take it for a test drive all serious, just to see if the owner is for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

166man wrote: »
    Classic.

Anyhow in the interests of dreamers thread came across this, this evening

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/10742300
    nissan

€14k for a Zx?? Clean low mileage car no doubt but it couldn't be worth that much....:o

i messaged the seller asking if he meant 4 k not 14k
    also asked him was it a turbo version or not seeing as there was no mention of it in the add ;) didnt hear back from him yet

Tis a Turbo, you can see the different manifold and pipework. Just ;)

A fine car the ZX :) twin turbo and manual too! But holy magumbos hes put a 1 at the start of the price... 20 years stored, the hicas would need deleted, rubber seals for the detachable roof would probably leak too... I can't fault them very much though, syncros can go weak but other than that what a machine :D:D

Oopsies, got carried away ;)

Fair cars alright and a great sound outta them. The nissan zx and the Mitsubishi 3000gt are two very under appreciated cars. Still there's no way either of them are worth much more than 5k realistically.

Fair cars alright and a great sound outta them. The nissan zx and the Mitsubishi 3000gt are two very under appreciated cars. Still there's no way either of them are worth much more than 5k realistically.

I'm glad that's the way :cool:

There is a possibility as the first of the Z32's are nearing vintage tax may go up a bit but most are too new to consider that an option. Problem with both are spare parts can be tricky to locate at times

Have you noticed Supras have skyrocketed pricewise?

Have you noticed Supras have skyrocketed pricewise?

yeah, actually.

like two years ago you'd have picked up a rough and ready TT for sub 5k, they are going for multiples of that now!

in my eyes the 3000gt is a bit obscure or something, although the Supra is very pretty the ZX must be the best value for money at the moment.

yeah, actually.

like two years ago you'd have picked up a rough and ready TT for sub 5k, they are going for multiples of that now!

in my eyes the 3000gt is a bit obscure or something, although the Supra is very pretty the ZX must be the best value for money at the moment.

Ya their obscure alright and a touch unreliable the electrics in them are funny enough but they're some bit of engineering all the same they'd be alot more sophisticated than a zx but at the age they're at now that can be a negative :P
    Supra's have gone mental the last year out of no where 10k was the price of very good TT models in 2013/14 now people are asking up on 20 or above! A white TT model with big spec sold for less than 10k about 2 years ago I'd say whoever bought it is smiling now.
    Some bargains to be had in the case of mr2 turbo's and TT legacy's aswell.

have to agree there, a REV3 MR2 overtook me on the motorway the other day and it really was a beautiful car, that combined with the mid engine, rear wheel drive set-up makes them a really good performance bargain at the minute. that said, i'd say most models are fairly insurance proof at the minute. definitely next on my hitlist of jap scrap that i'm parking in the father in laws shed.

• Advertisement

speaking of Jap exotica! doesn't look too abused, if it wasn't for the gammy skirts killing it's lines it'd be tasty. is €6k asking a bit saucy?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-rx7-twin-turbo/10746646

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's not overpriced, an unmolested eg civic is a rare thing. That one has a nice bit of test and is a good colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

brembo26 wrote: »

And by no means would i call it a dreamer. That car will be gone by the end of the week. Id take it myself if i had the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

I used to have one, unmollested in red. Still cant see the value in it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

They are easily making that money especially for a standard one. Getting harder and harder to come by

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

perhaps, interesting then that the seller had to drop the price though...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wonder what he was asking before

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

perhaps, interesting then that the seller had to drop the price though...

I think it's still overpriced tbh. About €1500 would be enough for it imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Are the Mitsubishi 300gt under appreciated? I've never driven one but always loved the look of them.

But recently saw one in a mechanics laying up and asked about it he reckoned it would leave you very disappointed after a spin in it. I was suprised to hear that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement