Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And the winner of dreamer of the year is...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Slightly expensive but a common car among youngsters and with the few nice bits done to it he should rope some young lad into it. To tell you the truth I think its a nice looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,081 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I came across this today and thought of you guys :)

http://www.adverts.ie/10362197

Maybe it's a bargain though??

I think I should have put this is the other thread for Bargains :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Clean, somewhat tastefully modified, k20... but €17k?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-crx-del-sol-sir-k20-n-a/12086787

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Probably trying to get what he spent on it back, but you could easily build one with more goodies & a supercharger for that kinda money..

Bloody fine car though, I'd say it only munches road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I just can't understand the logic in putting that much money into a del sol? Surely the man knew his Hondas when he set out to build it and I'm all for unusual builds but he should have known that it's practically the most undesirable platform of all the performance orientated Hondas from the 90's. If it was a gen1 crx he'd sell it no bother likewise an ef hatch or saloon, eg hatch etc. etc.
    of all the platforms to choose from he settled on the divisively/inpractically styled, body flex & understeer prone del sol it just begs belief really.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superwofy

I just can't understand the logic in putting that much money into a del sol? Surely the man knew his Hondas when he set out to build it and I'm all for unusual builds but he should have known that it's practically the most undesirable platform of all the performance orientated Hondas from the 90's. If it was a gen1 crx he'd sell it no bother likewise an ef hatch or saloon, eg hatch etc. etc.
    of all the platforms to choose from he settled on the divisively/inpractically styled, body flex & understeer prone del sol it just begs belief really.

It's quite unique tho. There are many, many, many hatches and saloons; dime a dozen really. I haven't seen many del sols like this.

I see it has a full set of braces, poly bushes and coil-over suspension. These should help reduce the body flex and tendency to understeer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Superwofy wrote: »
    I see it has a full set of braces, poly bushes and coil-over suspension. These should help reduce the body flex and tendency to understeer.
    Or make it undrivable above going to the shops pace. The chap says "Full bushing kit (including trailing bush)" The in brackets bit would concern me. Whatever about the rest of the bushings the trailing arm bush was part of a very nice little passive geometry change under braking/cornering system that Honda came up with and patented in the early 90's. Lotus have used the idea and paid Honda for the privilege, so you know it's a good idea. Slapping a polybush in there would change the character of the suspension and not in a good way for the average driver.

To be fair I can't see where he says they're polyurethane bushings, they may be original Honda. That he describes the ride as smooth suggests that as polys are crashy and harsher than standard. He also notes Tein coil overs. Depending on spring rates(and aftermarket modders almost inevitably go for too heavy a rating) coil overs tend to be harsh too. So he could be just used to driving around in on overly stiff rattle box. The "drives like a go kart" is up there with drives like a "race car". Again almost inevitably means a twitchy harsh ride that's "interesting" on the limit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

He should really break it. Not much is of interest bar the engine and some of the suspension bits but still it's really not worth a 1/3 of what hes asking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think it's a nice personal project car and seems to have been really bloody well done and the effort and money was obviously spent, but it is a personal project and far too many confuse the costs involved in such a project with the value of the finished item. Unless you find a buyer with the exact same personal taste and wants in such a car, you're losing money and lots of it. An unmolested as close to standard classic will nearly always be more valuable and keep its value compared to a modded, customised one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    I think it's a nice personal project car and seems to have been really bloody well done and the effort and money was obviously spent, but it is a personal project and far too many confuse the costs involved in such a project with the value of the finished item. Unless you find a buyer with the exact same personal taste and wants in such a car, you're losing money and lots of it. An unmolested as close to standard classic will nearly always be more valuable and keep its value compared to a modded, customised one.

The problem is not many people want Del Sols in general. It hasn't got madly great spec either. A mate of mine bought a similar spec EG coupe with a K swap for 4 grand a few weeks ago and it's a far more desirable car than a Del Sol.

That car is literally worth the price of the K swap and the scrap value of a Del Sol shell, which isn't much :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

An unmolested as close to standard classic will nearly always be more valuable and keep its value compared to a modded, customised one.
    Perhaps not more valuable in certain cases but they will most certainly leave more profit come resale. I was very close to buying a silver eg2 sir del sol with trans top on done deal there about a month or two ago it had a few dents but was tested till 2017 and had one Irish owner supposedly it was just used as a summer car. Car took a whole to sell at around the €1000 mark I'd hazard a guess it sold for less. Now the exact same car is for sale in Waterford for around the same price only someone has harvested the b16 and replaced it with a soch 1.6 dseries. It just goes to show how poor the market for del sols is in Ireland, many feel they are only worth the price of their engine.

millington wrote: »
    That car is literally worth the price of the K swap and the scrap value of a Del Sol shell, which isn't much :o
    Get a few quid for the seats too I'd reckon. S2000 ones by the looks of it? The shocks would get a few quid too and a couple of the non Del Sol specific kit. But yeah, he's dreaming at the price quoted.
    Perhaps not more valuable in certain cases but they will most certainly leave more profit come resale.
    I'm seeing the differences start to show in the US market with DC2 R's(they're ahead of the curve in many ways as they never had an import market so all domestic and in small enough numbers). Stock examples get a hefty premium and the more "riced" and modded they are the more they drop. Saw one 55,000 miler in stock condition recently go for 34K American. And even that had JDM wheels and Recaros. As a particular model of car survives the youngfella with a Halford's loyalty card phase and starts into the "classic" market originality is the biggie.
    It just goes to show how poor the market for del sols is in Ireland, many feel they are only worth the price of their engine.
    Pity as I always had a soft spot for them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Del Sol impressive? Oh god yes.

Del Sol in that spec would be something I would love to mess around with and melt some faces? Oh god yes.

Del Sol for that price? Oh god no. It might be worth that much, but at that price I would just go Skyline and still have money left over for tax and insurance.

Get a few quid for the seats too I'd reckon. S2000 ones by the looks of it? The shocks would get a few quid too and a couple of the non Del Sol specific kit. But yeah, he's dreaming at the price quoted.
    S2000 seats aren't very rare or desirable, do well to get €250 for a pair :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

millington wrote: »
    S2000 seats aren't very rare or desirable, do well to get €250 for a pair :eek:

if you're very lucky! I sold mine for 150 and that was really pushing it!

Really? That honestly surprises me. I thought they'd get decent money for some reason? I suppose they're not Recaros so that takes the price right down. They're leather are they not? I have been tempted in the past to get a pair of cheap seats so that I can preserve/rebuild at leisure my DC2 Recaros, but if the S2000 ones are so reasonable they sound like a good plan. Black with the holey headrests. 150quid? jesus I'd be sold at that. They're a lot more expensive than that on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The del sol price is dream land. Not so long ago I sold my own del sol SIR which was as clean if not cleaner than the one we're talking about for peanuts. K20, meh... Trust me there's PLENTY in the b16a vtec. I'll whack up a photo of my own one when I find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Really? That honestly surprises me. I thought they'd get decent money for some reason? I suppose they're not Recaros so that takes the price right down. They're leather are they not? I have been tempted in the past to get a pair of cheap seats so that I can preserve/rebuild at leisure my DC2 Recaros, but if the S2000 ones are so reasonable they sound like a good plan. Black with the holey headrests. 150quid? jesus I'd be sold at that. They're a lot more expensive than that on eBay.

yep leather, red leather in my case. The often wear really badly too though, particularly the drivers seat bolster as you have to slide in and out of the car as its quite low.

You're making me miss my S2k now!

Does anybody genuinely think this will ever make it back onto the road?

https://www.donedeal.ie/damagedcars-for-sale/12-insignia-2-0-diesel-sri/12109826

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Superwofy wrote: »
    Does anybody genuinely think this will ever make it back onto the road?

https://www.donedeal.ie/damagedcars-for-sale/12-insignia-2-0-diesel-sri/12109826

12 with no bags off , absolutely. Second hand quarter panel and labour, I've seen a lot worse . That's why you lift carpets when you find overspray inspecting a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Probably trying to get what he spent on it back, but you could easily build one with more goodies & a supercharger for that kinda money..

Bloody fine car though, I'd say it only munches road.

looks clean but insane priced
    but he is probably trying to get back the money he overpaid icetronix :o

Bigus wrote: »
    12 with no bags off , absolutely. Second hand quarter panel and labour, I've seen a lot worse . That's why you lift carpets when you find overspray inspecting a car.

I'm not saying it's over-valued. However, it looks like the unibody structure behind the quarter panel skin in crumpled to the point where the rear subframe might be bent. Would it not be horribly difficult to get a correct toe alignment?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

No test and off the road 4 years, €1750.
    That's quite a find TFB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

YbFocus wrote: »
    No test and off the road 4 years, €1750.
    That's quite a find TFB :)
    Retired mechanics car, well maintained hahaha my favorite line

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

well maintained
    Really? I guess a "platinum service" doesn't extend to checking for correct tyre pressures. I'd expect a well maintained car to be one that can be, you know, driven.
    needs tidy up, other than that, excellent condition
    So, it's in excellent condition, apart from all the non-excellent bits.

No mention of mileage either.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

The fact that he listed that corolla in the vintage section(€3) rather than the normal car section(€5) tells me all I need to know about how that car was maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/vauxhall-corsa-04/12264731

What ever made this guy think that showing his car in a small lake would help sell it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

NIMAN wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/vauxhall-corsa-04/12264731

What ever made this guy think that showing his car in a small lake would help sell it?

Maybe he was hoping the lake would just swallow that ugly pile of ****e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement