Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And the winner of dreamer of the year is...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

millington wrote: »
    Not far off the money these days. Very few for sale sub 5k recently.

I hope their big brother will appreciate in value if that's the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Truckermal wrote: »
    I hope their big brother will appreciate in value if that's the case!

(Un)fortunately big brother's no good for diffing..

King of the cone/Donegal rally is on soon - lads will scramble to get into a 'cool' manual, diffable rwd in time for it.

I see a 99 altezza on facebook for €7.5k this morning... madness but that's the market!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Wheels look like they could do with a refurb.

And its on UK plates so vrt to be paid too?

Think it'll be spending another few years in the shed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Top Dog wrote: »
    Wheels look like they could do with a refurb.

And its on UK plates so vrt to be paid too?

Think it'll be spending another few years in the shed!

New front wing - so it's been crashed? Has a sniff of Category D off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Not a massive dreamer but a civic that has no nct with the last two years and isn't a great example(imo) isn't worth near a grand. I bought a much cleaner example than this for the same money two years ago.

It also doesn't seem to have a full service history as has been made out, it just looks to be written into the book by someone with only one stamp visable in the photo, im not saying what's written in the book is false but it's not really a full service history that can be verified and is more akin to a tippex service history.

Also the pic of the underneath where the seller says there is no rust is a pic of the floorpan which almost never rusts on these civics anyway. It's the rear underbody that rusts the most on these and up at the front.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-ej9-irish-car-rust-free/15500296
    MjkyOGI5YWRkZGFjOWI0NWJhNjVlMDNjNTY1ZTk3NjMry8SLnV7j3i-HHAEkbqItaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183Mzc2ODQ1NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

"No test pilots" - because nothing would bring out your inner Schumacher like a 17 year old 1.4 litre granny car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would imagine you'd get a lot of young lads who haven't even priced insurance yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I know my english is not great, but it makes even me cringe reading it.
    As for dreamer... I dont know, is he? Its rare and high spec. I just dont know if there is market for such car anymore. No more third party piss take insurance anymore and no one who is pass 20 would ever drive something like that.
    I am pretty sure its uninsurable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

As for dreamer... I dont know, is he? Its rare and high spec. I just dont know if there is market for such car anymore. No more third party piss take insurance anymore and no one who is pass 20 would ever drive something like that.

I still think it is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

He must have been drunk when writing that ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Goes on about the interior, and not one picture of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

And it has a 1.8 engine, taxed as 1.6, probably insured as 1.6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

I'm over 20 and I would. I know plenty more that would too.

It's a pity it's not an EG9 shell. It's expensive for an EG8 conversion though.

Can't understand the Irish boy racer obsession with the bloody Honda Civic. In most other countries they are seen as the kind of car your grandparents would drive. Their performance, handling, and looks are distinctly ordinary, so why are they held up in this same regard? At least something like an Impreza or Evo has performance credentials and a rallying heritage. I'd understand if it was Type Rs they were driving, but most of them are driving your basic 1.4 shopping box.
    They'd be better off buying an 80's MR2 or 200nx for the same money, getting classic tax and insurance, and having something that looks good and at least gives the impression of going fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Gravelly wrote: »
    Can't understand the Irish boy racer obsession with the bloody Honda Civic. In most other countries they are seen as the kind of car your grandparents would drive. Their performance, handling, and looks are distinctly ordinary, so why are they held up in this same regard? At least something like an Impreza or Evo has performance credentials and a rallying heritage. I'd understand if it was Type Rs they were driving, but most of them are driving your basic 1.4 shopping box.
    They'd be better off buying an 80's MR2 or 200nx for the same money, getting classic tax and insurance, and having something that looks good and at least gives the impression of going fast.
    A B18 civic can be made into an incredibly fast car, that has pretty good handling. I'm far from a Honda fan, but I can certainly appreciate a B18 engine, and the fact that most of what you said is very wrong.

Quazzie wrote: »
    A B18 civic can be made into an incredibly fast car, that has pretty good handling. I'm far from a Honda fan, but I can certainly appreciate a B18 engine, and the fact that most of what you said is very wrong.

Not sure what you feel I said that was so wrong - pretty much anything can be made into a fast car, the question I'm asking is why would you bother, when there are cars out there that are already fast and with good handling.

Whats a 200nx and what's so great about it?

Go for a spin in a b18c powered civic and come back and tell us it's slow.

Also, civics are hugely popular worldwide, you might wanna fact check your crusade...

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Whats a 200nx and what's so great about it?

Go for a spin in a b18c powered civic and come back and tell us it's slow.

Also, civics are hugely popular worldwide, you might wanna fact check your crusade...

:rolleyes: Crusade? Expressing an opinion that a car isn't particularly fast is a crusade now?

:rolleyes: Crusade? Expressing an opinion that a car isn't particularly fast is a crusade now?

Well i'm sorry then, you are entitled to have an opinion that they're not fast but doesn't change the fact that its wrong i guess.

Couldnt reply to any other part of my post no? :)

Go on, whats a 200nx?

Well i'm sorry then, you are entitled to have an opinion that they're not fast but doesn't change the fact that its wrong i guess.

Opinions are like @rseholes, everyone has one - don't get to thinking that just because you have one it's correct!
    Couldnt reply to any other part of my post no? :)

Go on, whats a 200nx?

A typo for a 200sx, as I'm sure you know :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Bit of hostility around this morning.

bear1 wrote: »
    Bit of hostility around this morning.

Who knew Civic drivers were so sensitive ;)

Opinions are like @rseholes, everyone has one - don't get to thinking that just because you have one it's correct!

A typo for a 200sx, as I'm sure you know :rolleyes:

Opinions are, completely agree with you, but regardless of opinions - fast civics are fast (unless youre comparing to supercars or something), its not at all hard to understand their popularity, they're extremely reliable & simple, any dohc vtec engine is pretty damn powerful for their size & there's also the huge availability of aftermarket & interchangeable upgrades.

A 200sx that can go on classic insurance is going to be a s12 or an early s13?, probably powered by a ca18det? hardly the pinnacle of performance or reliability but sure.. you could argue something like a jap import ps13 that would be an 89 at the earliest, harder again to insure cos jap import and still no classic tax - and good luck finding one as clean as that civic above for < €10k..

Funny thing is i dont have a particular like for them, i havent owned a honda nor do i plan on in the near future, but i dont let that cloud the fact that they are hugely popular for a reason.

I"m actually a toyota fanboi, dont really like civics - just dont like watching people shít on cars they know nothing about :)

Only ever drove a civic once in my life, and I hated every single second of it. To call a B18 engined Civic slow tho is laughable.

Opinions are, completely agree with you, but regardless of opinions - fast civics are fast (unless youre comparing to supercars or something), its not at all hard to understand their popularity, they're extremely reliable & simple, any dohc vtec engine is pretty damn powerful for their size & there's also the huge availability of aftermarket & interchangeable upgrades.

A 200sx that can go on classic insurance is going to be a s12 or an early s13?, probably powered by a ca18det? hardly the pinnacle of performance or reliability but sure.. you could argue something like a jap import ps13 that would be an 89 at the earliest, harder again to insure cos jap import and still no classic tax - and good luck finding one as clean as that civic above for < €10k..

Funny thing is i dont have a particular like for them, i havent owned a honda nor do i plan on in the near future, but i dont let that cloud the fact that they are hugely popular for a reason.

And I agreed with you - if you read my post, you'd see I qualified my derision with "I'd understand if it was Type Rs they were driving" - my opinion was based on lads driving basic spec Civics - anyone who claims a basic spec 1.4 Civic is some kind of sports car is dreaming (in my opinion!) - I've nothing against Civics, just can't understand the obsession with them in Ireland. I rarely see young lads in the UK driving 1.4 Civics with huge spoilers and oversized alloys (though you do see pimped up 207s and Clios, so they aren't any better). They just seemed to get this reputation by default.

I"m actually a toyota fanboi, dont really like civics - just dont like watching people shít on cars they know nothing about :)

I've owned a few fast Toyotas in my day, and I'd love to know what it is I don't know about Civics that makes them so great?

And I agreed with you - if you read my post, you'd see I qualified my derision with "I'd understand if it was Type Rs they were driving" - my opinion was based on lads driving basic spec Civics - anyone who claims a basic spec 1.4 Civic is some kind of sports car is dreaming (in my opinion!) - I've nothing against Civics, just can't understand the obsession with them in Ireland. I rarely see young lads in the UK driving 1.4 Civics with huge spoilers and oversized alloys (though you do see pimped up 207s and Clios, so they aren't any better). They just seemed to get this reputation by default.
    If I'm a young lad and I can only afford to tax and insure a 1.4 car. My options are very limited. Golf, Leon, Civic, 307, Clio etc. Out of them, none of them are quick. Not even the civic. The advantage of the civic is that it is extremely customizable, and can be upgraded relatively cheaply to handle fantastically. If you're driving a 1.4 car, you might aswell drive one that handles like it's on rails.

Quazzie wrote: »
    If I'm a young lad and I can only afford to tax and insure a 1.4 car. My options are very limited. Golf, Leon, Civic, 307, Clio etc. Out of them, none of them are quick. Not even the civic. The advantage of the civic is that it is extremely customizable, and can be upgraded relatively cheaply to handle fantastically. If you're driving a 1.4 car, you might aswell drive one that handles like it's on rails.

That's a true enough point, and goes some way in explaining it I suppose. Another may be that used Golfs seem to make crazy money here, and Peugeots/Renaults have more of a stigma than they do in the UK, so that might also explain it a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Because they're reliable, they're cheap, have low tax, are relatively easy to insure, and are easily tuned.
    Young people struggle to get classic insurance in this country, even if they could they'd need to have another car insured under their own name first.

Also, how the hell are they going to insure an Sti or an Evo?

You didn't really think that post through did you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement