Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And the winner of dreamer of the year is...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Because they're reliable, they're cheap, have low tax, are relatively easy to insure, and are easily tuned.
    Young people struggle to get classic insurance in this country, even if they could they'd need to have another car insured under their own name first.

Also, how the hell are they going to insure an Sti or an Evo?

You didn't really think that post through did you?

Again, someone who didn't read my post properly :o
    Do Civic fans have literacy issues as well as bad taste :D

I didn't suggest they insure an Sti or Evo, I said I can understand the appeal of those cars.

Man, Honda fanboys are touchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

Gravelly wrote: »
    Again, someone who didn't read my post properly :o
    Do Civic fans have literacy issues as well as bad taste :D

I didn't suggest they insure an Sti or Evo, I said I can understand the appeal of those cars.

Man, Honda fanboys are touchy.

So anyone who defends young people driving civics for whatever reason is a Honda fanboy?
    75745703.jpg

morritty wrote: »
    So anyone who defends young people driving civics for whatever reason is a Honda fanboy?
    75745703.jpg

No, Quazzie did, but his was a logical and non-emotional response. I'd consider a slightly hysterical, emotional response to be that of a fanboy!

Right, ill rephrase it.

So, because someone gave a reason to defend young drivers buying a civic for various reasons.....and also states they drove a civic one and hated it....they're a Honda Fanboy?

I drove a Micra once, i hated it because it was miserable. I'd recommend it to a young driver because its a decent cheap way to start motoring....am I a Nissan fanboy?

Spoiler alert: I've never owned a Nissan

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Loud-Noises.jpg

• Advertisement

Right, ill rephrase it.

So, because someone gave a reason to defend young drivers buying a civic for various reasons.....and also states they drove a civic one and hated it....they're a Honda Fanboy?

I didn't call that poster a fanboy.
    I drove a Micra once, i hated it because it was miserable. I'd recommend it to a young driver because its a decent cheap way to start motoring....am I a Nissan fanboy?

Spoiler alert: I've never owned a Nissan

If loads of young people were tarting up micras and pretending they were sportscars, and I expressed an opinion that I don't understand why they do that, would you get offended? If so you may be a fanboy, if not, then you're probably not.

I seem to have hit a sore spot with a lot of people - who knew expressing a dislike for a certain model of car could be so contentious?

I've owned more than 40 different models of car in my time, everything from a Nissan to a Porsche, and from a 1950's sports car to a modern estate. I wouldn't get on a high horse if anyone criticised any of those cars, but would instead explain calmly why I bought it at the time. Maybe I'm unusual in that!

Ah you see, this is a motors forum. try not to sh1t on other peoples cars, why they have them or what they do to them, and you'll be just fine

Ah you see, this is a motors forum. try not to sh1t on other peoples cars, why they have them or what they do to them, and you'll be just fine

So a motors forum means that no criticism of any make or model of car is allowed? Right so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

So a motors forum means that no criticism of any make or model of car is allowed? Right so.

That's not the case here though. Criticism is fair and welcome but calling people illiterate and touchy just because they disagree with your opinion isn't very nice.

That's not the case here though. Criticism is fair and welcome but calling people illiterate and touchy just because they disagree with your opinion isn't very nice.

I didn't call anyone illiterate, I asked if someone had a literacy problem as, for the second time, they had quoted something I hadn't said as if I had said it.

Given the responses, calling people touchy is probably an understatement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Was really looking forward to 3 pages of updates with a raft of new dreamer of the year cars... Sadly mistaken :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Back to dreamers I think lads.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/ae91-toyota-corolla-mint/15587579

I love these old Jap Corollas but €4500 makes me think this guy has eaten too many magic mushrooms. The interiors are lovely in those and the cars have a certain charm but it's dangerously overpriced.

Here's a similar car, potentially even more "desirable" being a diesel and 4wd for a third of the asking and even this one is a shade pricey.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/corolla-2-0-diesel-4wd/15423400

As these ads go to show, if you are ever looking for a dreamer, look no further than the "vintage" section on donedeal.

Here's a similar car, potentially even more "desirable" being a diesel and 4wd for a third of the asking and even this one is a shade pricey.

As these ads go to show, if you are ever looking for a dreamer, look no further than the "vintage" section on donedeal.

That must be a rare beast - wonder how many are in the country? Wouldn't fancy it much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/ae91-toyota-corolla-mint/15587579

I love these old Jap Corollas but €4500 makes me think this guy has eaten too many magic mushrooms. The interiors are lovely in those and the cars have a certain charm but it's dangerously overpriced.

Its that red interior tho - absolutely class!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would rather burn the near 13k.

Never understood anyone that would drive one they are miserable.

I would rather burn the near 13k.

Never understood anyone that would drive one they are miserable.

A Micra in drag. (no offense to Micra drivers, Figaro drivers, or drag queens intended).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've owned many a Micra but would not be driving that if was given for free and I have driven them but not for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Close the thread, we're done here. Holy Moly.

They are starting to hold good value and they are infinitely cool IMO, but if it was up for €5k I'd still think they were dreaming.

I've owned many a Micra but would not be driving that if was given for free and I have driven them but not for long.

Admittedly I'm looking in from an outside perspective, but I see the appeal. Soft top, nice bright interior and a peppy (I presume) engine. I'd be more than happy with one on s day like today. But if it was my money I'd be buying the 1500 Pao in the bangernomics thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Honda's are known for great handling. During the 90's they were using double wishbone suspension. I do not know if they still are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Admittedly I'm looking in from an outside perspective, but I see the appeal.
    Same here TBH. Bags of character, though not at that money. :eek::eek:
    Honda's are known for great handling. During the 90's they were using double wishbone suspension. I do not know if they still are.
    Not as far as I know. McPherson struts and torsion bars IIRC.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Wibbs wrote: »
    Same here TBH. Bags of character, though not at that money. :eek::eek:

Not as far as I know. McPherson struts and torsion bars IIRC.

Not anymore, tbe new civic has fully independent rear suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mitsubishi-lancer-evo-3-rep-/14917165

What the F**king jaysis!!!???

€2,200 for a 20 year old Replica with wheels that don't fit!

This is the best bit:
    4 super Rare genuine mitsubishi wind deflectors
    Genuine evo 3 front mount intercooler including all piping ( to get that genuine look ;)

I wouldn't even give Tree Fiddy for that.
    It's scrap...

grahambo wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mitsubishi-lancer-evo-3-rep-/14917165

This is the best bit:

It's scrap...

Who knows what horrors lurk under the vinyl wrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

grahambo wrote: »

This is the best bit:

It's scrap...

Yes its on the expensive side and its only valuable to someone who wants the parts. for eg

Evo 3 full kit can go for upwards of £400 sterling

Evo 3 original OZ rims again £400 plus

Doors, bonnet, boot and interior, who knows. I know i could do with some parts off it....if someone buys it let me know :D
    Who knows what horrors lurk under the vinyl wrap.

Rusty roof where the support bars are for one. All the early Evo's rust here. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭wyliecoyote1

At the risk of riling up all the Honda fans again, I wouldn't block a feckin gap with it, not to mention pay 10 grand for it!

*Edit* For €300 less you could get this! http://www.adverts.ie/vehicles/nissan-350z-gt-pack/12958469

Yet another "optimistically" priced BJ42, this time an Aussie import that looks like it's already succumbing to the Irish weather, and only €22,500:

http://www.adverts.ie/vehicles/toyota-landcruiser-bj42-lx/12631073

It makes this €16,000 Series 3 look like it's almost good value:

http://www.adverts.ie/vehicles/landrover-1982-series-3-marine-blue-classic/12848962

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

At the risk of riling up all the Honda fans again, I wouldn't block a feckin gap with it, not to mention pay 10 grand for it!

*Edit* For €300 less you could get this! http://www.adverts.ie/vehicles/nissan-350z-gt-pack/12958469

That accord is nearly winning this thread, but the 350z is asking twice the price they dont sell for...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement