Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And the winner of dreamer of the year is...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Seriously overpriced but half that I'd say he'd get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

They're cool little things and I love the way the exhaust pipes are in the centre of the back bumper but parting with that kind of money is loop the lupo..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

It's cool, it's clean and it's the good kind of rare but would you part with €5500 for it?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-volkswagen-lupo-gti-6-speed-taxed-amp-new-nct/15518305

No and for that money id expect it to be close to flawless. The damaged bumper and the worn mats are offputting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

@Lupo GTI

They commanded pretty decent money in the UK when I was looking for something a little rarer a few years ago, good later models hold their value well. That one is an import and from what I can tell, they've had it for quite some time. Its on one of the other forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

They've had it for sale for quite some time too.
    125bhp and despite being tiny it still weighs a tonne.

Put simply it's neither got the performance nor the following to command such a price.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You would have got that 5 years ago. Be doing well to see half that now tbh.

You would have got that 5 years ago. Be doing well to see half that now tbh.

I think that car is worth something south of a grand. It's not totally original either and has high miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Well at least it's honest with the miles, which that car can take. But yeah, not worth a whole pile.

It's a shame between one thing and another with insurance and the likes. If I was 17 again, I'd love to pick up something like that for €1k to start out in.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

gctest50 wrote: »
    Have to run them in for a few hundred thousand miles first :p

Yanks.... They have to race in straight lines, coz they can't do corners :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A 5 door XR3?

Is it South African? Seller Has a mk2 SA import for less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

colm_mcm wrote: »
    A 5 door XR3?

Is it South African? Seller Has a mk2 SA import for less money.

Its definitely south african

I'm not really certain its an XR3. South Africa has loads of weird and unique models etc. Can't see anything online to say a 5 door exists. Wikipedia says the XR3 came with 1.3 and 1.6 engines, I'd say it has a detuned XR3 1.6 from factory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I am so sick of the classic market in this country.. every Mick, Brendan or Larry with a car over 25 years old wants mad money, regardless of actual demand. Everything is a "rare car" or a "barn find" and fair enough, you are entitled to ask what you want.. Now my problem with this is that it creates an environment where asking silly money is the norm, driving prices sky high.

This might sound like sour grapes, but with 2 classics in the house that cost a lot to rebuild, I couldn't even stomach asking these kinds of prices if I wanted to sell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

As before, everyone moans about rare cars and their prices when they come to buy them and suddenly that 'teenage want' is a little out of price range.

They then land on and moan about prices calling everyone dreamers.

The dreamers thing works both ways by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭wyliecoyote1

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gti-1-6/15941204

4250 for mk1 gti in need of full restoration! bit much no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

TrailerBob wrote: »
    I am so sick of the classic market in this country.. every Mick, Brendan or Larry with a car over 25 years old wants mad money, regardless of actual demand.

You can't prevent them from wanting money. Just don't pay it if you think the car is overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

As before, everyone moans about rare cars and their prices when they come to buy them and suddenly that 'teenage want' is a little out of price range.

They then land on and moan about prices calling everyone dreamers.

The dreamers thing works both ways by the way.

I agree with your sentiment to an extent, you can't expect to pick up a good condition classic car for 500 quid.
    My problem is not with a genuinely rare car in good condition commanding a high price, but with the latest trend of anything over 20 years old being peddled as a classic that's suddenly worth a pile of money. Supply and demand causes some of the prices, eg, our 75 vw bay camper is worth around 20 grand in the open market, but the 72 beetle beside it is probably only worth about 4, despite both being in near factory condition.

It's more complicated than just supply and demand, but with the idea that advertised prices then create the 'value' in the market that is driving a huge import trend and creating dreamers - see the Mazda 323 from a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

• Advertisement

Gravelly wrote: »

It's a good investment tbh. They are only going up in value so by using the flux capacitor to go into the future you can make a profit very quickly :)

Quazzie wrote: »
    Try find a similar spec car for less money?

I suppose if that's your thing. To me it's a car that was never very good in the first place, made worse. For the same money you could get, from the same era, an exquisite Porsche 911 (and have enough left over for an MGB for the missus), or 2 or 3 pristine Audi Quattros.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It's a good investment tbh. They are only going up in value so by using the flux capacitor to go into the future you can make a profit very quickly :)

Original ones will go up in value (though I think there's a ceiling for them, as they were never any good, have no race or sports pedigree, and have limited appeal), but hacked ones will never be worth as much. See all the DB5's having absolute fortunes spent on them to restore them to spec, after all being sprayed silver and having ejector buttons installed in the 70's and 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I think comparing that DeLorean to any driver's car is missing the point. So yes, you could buy a 911 and keep the change, where as the DeLorean is a PR machine, not for driving. Whether it's worth the asking price is debatable though.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I think comparing that DeLorean to any driver's car is missing the point. So yes, you could buy a 911 and keep the change, where as the DeLorean is a PR machine, not for driving. Whether it's worth the asking price is debatable though.

I'd agree with you there to some extent, but it is being sold as a car, and deserves comparison to other cars of it's era, or other cars that became famous through movies (DB5, Lotus Esprit, Trans Am, Mustang, even the humble Beetle or Ford Falcon). In that respect, it falls down badly. I cannot see how this example is worth that kind of money, and if he manages to get anyone to buy it at or near that price, I think they'll end up losing a lot of money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'd agree with you there to some extent, but it is being sold as a car, and deserves comparison to other cars of it's era, or other cars that became famous through movies (DB5, Lotus Esprit, Trans Am, Mustang, even the humble Beetle or Ford Falcon). In that respect, it falls down badly. I cannot see how this example is worth that kind of money, and if he manages to get anyone to buy it at or near that price, I think they'll end up losing a lot of money on it.
    Do you think it's really being sold as a car. Is the seller really expecting you to use this for a quick trip to the shops, or a blast over Sally Gap? I highly doubt it.

Original ones will go up in value (though I think there's a ceiling for them, as they were never any good, have no race or sports pedigree, and have limited appeal), but hacked ones will never be worth as much. See all the DB5's having absolute fortunes spent on them to restore them to spec, after all being sprayed silver and having ejector buttons installed in the 70's and 80's.

I was joking but that car isn't hacked. It's been modified to be a replica of the one in the back to the future movies and it seems to be a good replica at that. This car doesn't need sports pedegree because it will always have a following from those movies.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Do you think it's really being sold as a car. Is the seller really expecting you to use this for a quick trip to the shops, or a blast over Sally Gap? I highly doubt it.

Of course. But that doesn't change the fact that it should be valued as what it is, and it's a car. A running car. It's no different to a Beetle that's been done in Herbie livery, or a DB5 that's had revolving numberplates and an ejector button fitted. It's value doesn't magically increase because it looks like the one in the movies.
    JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I was joking but that car isn't hacked. It's been modified to be a replica of the one in the back to the future movies and it seems to be a good replica at that. This car doesn't need sports pedegree because it will always have a following from those movies.

Again, I'd agree it will always have a following because of the movies, but again, that doesn't necessarily mean it is somehow valuable because it looks like the one from the movie. In 20 years time, it's likely that unmolested DeLoreans will be worth far more than one's that have been modified - as owners of BD5's have found out. It will be a hell of a lot easier to modify one than return one to spec, that is ALWAYS the case with old cars. Unless they have been modified to period racing spec, originals will always end up being more valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

I'd love to see what the guys down at the NCT centre would do with that, when you took it in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'd love to see what the guys down at the NCT centre would do with that, when you took it in...

Having recently looked at their criteria for failing cars, it would probably pass on everything but fail on the Irish translation of the county the car was first registered in on the numberplates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement