Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And the winner of dreamer of the year is...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Happened to me too. From the east coast to Galway, the gentleman then didn't bother answering his phone. I gave the benefit of the doubt, then gave up when daylight gave in.

He was very much verbally abused periodically after that and was ousted as a twat on here too . All those years ago...

People will keep driving half the country to look at cars... Insanity...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

grogi wrote: »

If I find a car with the right spec I want that's in the backarse of nowhere about 300 miles away, that's reasonably priced and have only been burned once or twice over the years what's the problem?

It's certainly not affecting anyone else except me...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

It's a psychological thing. People like to travel to get their car as the neighbours wont know their business.

''Tis like anecdote a person in the trade for decades told me about selling cars to old farmers. Tell him to take it home for the weekend knowing that they will load the wife and kids into the new car to mass to show off. Come Monday morning they feel they can't return it as all the neighbours have seen them driving the new car and will have to buy it. Genius sales technique!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

It's a psychological thing. People like to travel to get their car as the neighbours wont know their business.

''Tis like anecdote a person in the trade for decades told me about selling cars to old farmers. Tell him to take it home for the weekend knowing that they will load the wife and kids into the new car to mass to show off. Come Monday morning they feel they can't return it as all the neighbours have seen them driving the new car and will have to buy it. Genius sales technique!

If you are looking for a well-specced car outside of the VW/Ford/Toyota range, buying privately, and you don't live in Dublin, you pretty much have to travel in Ireland to find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Gravelly wrote: »
    If you are looking for a well-specced car outside of the VW/Ford/Toyota range, buying privately, and you don't live in Dublin, you pretty much have to travel in Ireland to find one.

^^^this right here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Wonder what kind of collector would be interested in a basic spec 2001 Alfa with over 100k miles on the clock? A scrap collector perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Gravelly wrote: »
    Wonder what kind of collector would be interested in a basic spec 2001 Alfa with over 100k miles on the clock? A scrap collector perhaps.

Last one I sent to the scrapyard I got about €20 quid for. Was a V6 and all :)
    A rare car in this condition, when did you last see one like this?

With rubber mats, the fake carbon trim, cloth seats and not even the 2nd generation 156 introduced in late 2001? I see one everyday, I have a sportwagon outside my house with the original mats (woot!) and an engine that resembles golf balls in a biscuit tin

"Nice simple spec with no air-con to worry about"

lol

• Advertisement

"Nice simple spec with no air-con to worry about"

lol

Talk about accentuating the positives - he should have added "over 100k miles, so it's well run in at this stage" and "It's a 16 year old Alfa, so even if it's stolen, they probably won't get far"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Let's not forget the inflatable tyres and illuminating headlights.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-147-1-9-jtdm-130ps-left-hand-drive-6-speed/16041988

Clean and a nice spec but it's not worth that, particularly being wrong hand drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Good luck registering an italian reg car here.
    The amount of crap you need to do in Italy to actually de register it for export is horrible.

bear1 wrote: »
    Good luck registering an italian reg car here.
    The amount of crap you need to do in Italy to actually de register it for export is horrible.

Registering here is easy - have proof of ownership, book VRT and voila. It is just Italian bureaucracy that needs to be fought to unregistered it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-147-1-9-jtdm-130ps-left-hand-drive-6-speed/16041988

Clean and a nice spec but it's not worth that, particularly being wrong hand drive.

The seller picked that up for no more than €600 - probably less. I know this because I was offered (perhaps somewhat unsurprisingly :D) that very car for that amount.

I wouldn't begrudge someone trying to make a few bob at all though tbh, just thought I'd mention that in the unlikely event someone was considering it. :)

Registering here is easy - have proof of ownership, book VRT and voila. It is just Italian bureaucracy that needs to be fought to unregistered it there.

That was my point.
    And strictly speaking you'd have to first do a transfer of ownership in Italy which isn't free, then advise that the car is being exported so the plates are then removed from the car for destruction which means it can't be driven.
    I mean you could say screw that and register it in ireland but the seller would be in a spot of bother with the Italians.

bear1 wrote: »
    I mean you could say screw that and register it in ireland but the seller would be in a spot of bother with the Italians.

You're a nice person - but why should you care?

You're a nice person - but why should you care?

It happened once to me.
    Bought a car off an italian without fully knowing the rules.
    I then resold it after a few months.
    A while later the seller contacted me in a panic as he received reminders of the annual tax payment which he had been ignoring until the department increased the fine for lack of payment.
    I tried to help him but couldn't as it was simply a case of look this is the new reg number and that's all I can do.
    Felt very bad though as i was partly at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Same lad selling that Alfa that had the 17k mazda up a few weeks ago.

And the beautiful red 159 wagon - which was also in dreamland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Same lad selling that Alfa that had the 17k mazda up a few weeks ago.

And the beautiful red 159 wagon - which was also in dreamland.

Same guy bought a 535d e60 from somebody on briskoda a few months back and had it listed +2k a day later..

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-vw-passat-1-9-tdi-van-1000/16054733

I already though it was expensive before I read the bottom line of the ad and found out the engine didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You thought €1000 was expensive?

Forr a ten year old Passat "van conversion" in rag order with no tax or test and a quarter of a million miles on the clock, do you not :pac:

Edit: I suppose I didn't think it was expensive as such, but I thought it was a hard sell.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-vw-passat-1-9-tdi-van-1000/16054733

I already though it was expensive before I read the bottom line of the ad and found out the engine didn't work.

It's basically a €1000 henhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Ah lads. A clean car for sure but seriously...

€8000
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-anniversary-16v/15541316
    Y2FlMTc3OWRiM2U3NDEwMDcwYTI2NTliMGQzNTMzN2XcWU5rc5RbUISxO8BZtXzpaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183NDAyMDI5NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Forr a ten year old Passat "van conversion" in rag order with no tax or test and a quarter of a million miles on the clock, do you not :pac:

Edit: I suppose I didn't think it was expensive as such, but I thought it was a hard sell.
    Maybe my eyes aren't what they used to be, but doesn't it have valid DOE till the 1st of August, and another 4 months tax too? Not that they're much use on a non-runner, but they're valid none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Ah lads. A clean car for sure but seriously...

€8000
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-anniversary-16v/15541316
    1 of only 150? Seriously? Can someone familiar with VW's confirm or contradict this claim please?

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote: »
    1 of only 150? Seriously? Can someone familiar with VW's confirm or contradict this claim please?

According to a friend, who is a VW mechanic and an expert in the brand, there were 1,000 of them made for the European market, though everyone that has one claims there was anything from 21 to 300 made!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement