Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And the winner of dreamer of the year is...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Haven’t seen any diesel Type S GTs for small money. I wouldn’t mind one if the seats are better than the standard ones.

The seats are better and nicer but the ride is more firm because of the bigger wheels.

DPolo wrote: »
    Wouldn't be mad for it at all, there's a midnight blue/purple they come in or grey one for me :D

Bronze for me but maybe im biased there :D the blue on the facelift looks very well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DPolo

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Bronze for me but maybe im biased there :D the blue on the facelift looks very well too.

Would love one in red, but seen more than a couple around with clearcoat peeling clean off them :(

DPolo wrote: »
    Would love one in red, but seen more than a couple around with clearcoat peeling clean off them :(

Wouldn't be a fan of the red with the panoramic roof as it looks like the roof has just been sprayed black.

It looks well on the facelift with no panoramic roof when it's polished and waxed. The colour coded arch trim and sideskirts really make a big difference with the red too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

To be fair the 1 euro ads are very annoying.

I think I had the ad up for a swap or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Yeah in fairness whenever I looked at anything on dd I used to set the min filter to 1000 for price and mileage to exclude that rubbish.
    If someone cannot be bothered to fill out an ad correctly in order to sell a vehicle I couldn't be bothered to look at it.
    Its a buyers market, and there is usually plenty of choice out there.

Same. I never entertain people with prices of 1 euro or TESTING THE WATERS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

JC01 wrote: »
    Don't think there's any debate - he's delusional, 20k will buy a LOT of performance car in this country. Realistically id value it at probably 13k due to the really really low miles but then again a lot of s2ks are bizarrely priced.

There's nothing that really appeals to me for under 20k to be honest.
    In my eyes, a performance car is a car that can:
    Do 0-60mph in less than 5 secs
    Do 0-100mph is less that 13/15 secs.
    Needs to be at least 190 bhp per ton.
    Needs to be good in the corners/bends
    Cannot be Diesel.

Anything less than that is a "quick"/"fast" car

There is not a lot of decent cars out there for sub €20k (there are a hell of a lot of bangers though)
    I was interested in one about a year ago that was asking stupid money, the owner held firm and last I looked it was still for sale 4 months ago.

Problem is with all Jap Sports cars that are pre mid-2008 is that they all avail of the low tax, as they have high CO2 emissions.
    Hence they are desirable.
    That coupled with the fact that sports cars are going for stupid money in the UK at the moment is driving up the price.

Those car's are worth less in Ireland than what they are worth in the UK due to fact running costs are astronomical for those kinds of cars here.
    Expect to pay above €1000 per year for insurance, and god knows what for maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

S2k's better off being exported, decent VRT rebate on the newer ones and they are highly desirable in the UK, just look at the prices on Pistonheads. You can't get a decent one in of any age for less than approx 12k.

I bought an 04 3 years ago for 8 grand and my friend bought an 01 last year for 8 too, no real pattern to the prices here. Low mileage ones of any age are guaranteed future classics. The 09 on Donedeal however has tax at €2350, so that will take some shifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If it was an S2000 GT 20k wouldn't be far off but for a regular stock s2000 that was previously a show car he would struggle to get 10k in Ireland.

He might get 12-14k in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

grahambo wrote: »
    Cannot be Diesel.

There is not a lot of decent cars out there for sub €20k (there are a hell of a lot of bangers though)

Problem is with all Jap Sports cars that are pre mid-2008 is that they all avail of the low tax, as they have high CO2 emissions.
    Hence they are desirable.
    That coupled with the fact that sports cars are going for stupid money in the UK at the moment is driving up the price.

Those car's are worth less in Ireland than what they are worth in the UK due to fact running costs are astronomical for those kinds of cars here.
    Expect to pay above €1000 per year for insurance, and god knows what for maintenance.

Agree with your list but there's a lot of cars that match that criteria for a lot cheaper than the s2k. If your looking at one of those refinement isn't huge on your list so any 90s jap turbo will do and 20k will easily buy you 500brake. Not to mention m3/m5s

• Advertisement

Agree with your list but there's a lot of cars that match that criteria for a lot cheaper than the s2k. If your looking at one of those refinement isn't huge on your list so any 90s jap turbo will do and 20k will easily buy you 500brake. Not to mention m3/m5s

I get ya, but I've been looking
    You could get an old Evo 3,5,6 for example for way under 20k

Problem is they all have about over 90,000 miles (or more) on them.
    They are worth about 3/4k at that age/mileage, but people are looking for €10k

Any of the Jap Turbo cars have super highly stressed engines.
    90,000 miles is just to high, car is at or very close to E.O.L (in my opinion)

On the flip side, those VTEC units are good for as long as you wish. I'm at 185,000 miles now. Not bad for something that sees 9k rpm daily.

On the flip side, those VTEC units are good for as long as you wish. I'm at 185,000 miles now. Not bad for something that sees 9k rpm daily.

What car have you got?
    What capacity engine? What year?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

He’s got a lovely looking S2000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Unless its a turbo starlet. Mine is driven on a lot and there's about 300,000km on it now, never gives any trouble. With plenty of engine mods

What car have you got?
    What capacity engine? What year?

2004 facelift S2000, so 2.0 VTEC. Best car I've ever had and will probably ever have, insurance becoming the problem with them though. If you are lucky, Autoline will cover 99/00 ones. Otherwise you are at the mercy of the handful of insurers that will touch you. A pity as a relatively affordable car to run otherwise with the old tax and about 28 mpg if you keep her out of VTEC on a run.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    He’s got a lovely looking S2000

Aw shucks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd have to agree. The biggest problem with 90's Jap performance petrols is that they don't really know when to roll over and die. 90k miles is hardly broken in for most of them.

2004 facelift S2000, so 2.0 VTEC. Best car I've ever had and will probably ever have, insurance becoming the problem with them though. If you are lucky, Autoline will cover 99/00 ones. Otherwise you are at the mercy of the handful of insurers that will touch you. A pity as a relatively affordable car to run otherwise with the old tax and about 28 mpg if you keep her out of VTEC on a run.

Clearly you're a person that's looked after it.
    I've seen sports cars/bikes with +100,000 miles on them

But the only reason they get that high are because the car/bike has been looked after so well.
    Serviced regularly, best expendables used, anything it's needed it's got , etc.

Problem is, Irish people aren't great at maintaining cars.
    My ex has a 2002 Lotus Elise that she just does not look after at all.

Thing needs so much work, Roof, Engine, Exhaust, etc.
    But he line is always "It's going, It's fine"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Cannot be Diesel.

E90 M3, Evo 8/9/10, Impreza STi, R33 GTR??

:pac: You find me an Evo 3-6 with ANY mileage on it in roadworthy condition for 3/4k and I'll buy it today.

People are looking for €10k because thats what they sell for. You could get a Lancer GSR for 3k with 90,000 miles I suppose:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Clearly you're a person that's looked after it.
    I've seen sports cars/bikes with +100,000 miles on them

But the only reason they get that high are because the car/bike has been looked after so well.
    Serviced regularly, best expendables used, anything it's needed it's got , etc.

Problem is, Irish people aren't great at maintaining cars.
    My ex has a 2002 Lotus Elise that she just doesn't not look after at all.

Thing needs so much work, Roof, Engine, Exhaust, etc.
    But he line is always "It's going, It's fine"

So she DOES look after it is what you're saying? :pac:

millington wrote: »
    E90 M3, Evo 8/9/10, Impreza STi, R33 GTR??

Exactly, not a lot out there in that range for sub 20k, maybe the beamers
    millington wrote: »
    :pac: You find me an Evo 3-6 with ANY mileage on it in roadworthy condition for 3/4k and I'll buy it today.

People are looking for €10k because thats what they sell for. You could get a Lancer GSR for 3k with 90,000 miles I suppose:o

People are looking for that price because that's what the cost is to import from Japan or the UK. (Not what they are actually worth)
    They aren't selling for that price here. Same cars are up on Donedeal for months and months.
    I sold my Evo V about 8 years ago for €8,950. with 80,000 Km's on it.
    My car was in good condition when I sold it.

There's a 6 now for sale here:
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-evo-vi-nctd-and-taxed/18353626
    Which is one year younger than mine with but has 100,000 miles on it
    He's looking for €12,000

The bumper is held on with black cable ties and there's plumes of smoke coming out the back...
    €12k? Seriously?
    I wouldn't pay anymore than €7k for a car like that.
    And anyone that has an ounce of cop on knows that at the moment, Sports/Performance cars are WAAAAAY overpriced.

Exactly, not a lot out there in that range for sub 20k, maybe the beamers

People are looking for that price because that's what the cost is to import from Japan or the UK. (Not what they are actually worth)
    They aren't selling for that price here. Same cars are up on Donedeal for months and months.
    I sold my Evo V about 8 years ago for €8,950. with 80,000 Km's on it.
    My car was in good condition when I sold it.

There's a 6 now for sale here:
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-evo-vi-nctd-and-taxed/18353626
    Which is one year younger than mine with but has 100,000 miles on it
    He's looking for €12,000

The bumper is held on with black cable ties and there's plumes of smoke coming out the back...
    €12k? Seriously?
    I wouldn't pay anymore than €7k for a car like that.
    And anyone that has an ounce of cop on knows that at the moment, Sports/Performance cars are WAAAAAY overpriced.
    Do you just look at Donedeal or do you actually know people who buy and sell these cars?

Countless 5s and 6s have made close to 10k in the last 12 months. Most of the good ones don't even make Donedeal before they get sold. The value 8 years ago is irrelevant. Used to be able to pick up E36 M3s for 3k but they're a 10k car now.

While I do agree that white 6 is not worth 12k, you won't get any Evo for 3/4k now which is what you said in your first post. Not even a 4, regardless of what you think they're worth.

Tommi Makinen Edition 6s are making 15k+, with red cars pushing well more than that. It was inevitable that the standard 6 would go up aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Ive an Evo 1RS in the Garage in bits getting restored. €4k wouldnt even open the Garage door for you to look at the shell, you may double that when its all together before it goes for paint!

Id say your judging the market on poor quality cars.

miller_63 wrote: »
    Ive an Evo 1RS in the Garage in bits getting restored. €4k wouldnt even open the Garage door for you to look at the shell, you may double that when its all together before it goes for paint!

Id say your judging the market on poor quality cars.

Completely different kettle of fish.

You're talking about a full restore, of course that's gonna be more.

12k for the Evo above though is a dreamers price.
    If it were a TME that would be different, they will hold their value forever as will the likes of the MR-FQ360 HKS, the RS models and the GT. Rare models difficult to get regardless of condition.

A look on the web in the UK reveals many many Evo's, GTR's, M3's etc for sale.
    They are not worth that money.
    My Evo was a V. A V will never be a sought after classic nor will a VI unless it's a TME.

People buying them at that price either haven't brain or have to much money, probably the latter.

Mileage should have little bearing. Condition is far more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

Eighteen year old left hand drive mercedes ML - €7k!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-ml-lhd-stunning-example/18680972

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Mental money alright but the seller knows who he is appealing to; people looking for a car to leave in Spain or France at a holiday home.

The equivalent car in Spain or France will be €€€ more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

My Evo was a V. A V will never be a sought after classic nor will a VI unless it's a TME.

Agreed, Unless its a Red V or a Dandelion Yellow V :cool: They will have their own market seperate from black and white V's

• Advertisement

Completely different kettle of fish.

You're talking about a full restore, of course that's gonna be more.

12k for the Evo above though is a dreamers price.
    If it were a TME that would be different, they will hold their value forever as will the likes of the MR-FQ360 HKS, the RS models and the GT. Rare models difficult to get regardless of condition.

A look on the web in the UK reveals many many Evo's, GTR's, M3's etc for sale.
    They are not worth that money.

People buying them at that price either haven't brain or have to much money, probably the latter.

Show us an Evo 5/6 in the UK cheaper than here and bear in mind that VRT alone on most Evos is €4000 now on top of that. The cheapest 5 on Pistonheads is £9500 sterling.

5s & 6s are already sought after. Your argument only stands to reason if the cars aren't selling at these prices, but they are. I personally know of a black V that went for €9000, a faded yellow V for €8000, a clean yellow V for €10,000 and a blue 6 for €9000.

Again, the white car is irrelevant because it is over market value but still worth more than the 3/4k you said that they should be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement