Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And the winner of dreamer of the year is...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

^

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-e28-m535i-very-rare-car/19146118

Not so sure that that’s a dreamer. They range from £10k to £30k restored in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

colm_mcm wrote: »
    ^

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-e28-m535i-very-rare-car/19146118

Not so sure that that’s a dreamer. They range from £10k to £30k restored in the uk

Yes your right. An absolutely mint example with tiny mileage i.e below 50k miles could make up to 25k sterling....

It looks like this one needs a lot of money to be spent on it tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I would think something like this is pretty much write off material unless you're very skilled with a welder or have lots of money to pay someone

MmY2ZjRjOWMxYWY0Y2E2NzliNmE3NGU0NTVkYWU2MWW5cVxWoK6Hf9xRO1JLdftIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDQxNjE3NzJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

I would think something like this is pretty much write off material unless you're very skilled with a welder or have lots of money to pay someone

MmY2ZjRjOWMxYWY0Y2E2NzliNmE3NGU0NTVkYWU2MWW5cVxWoK6Hf9xRO1JLdftIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDQxNjE3NzJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Not a massive job to put a scuttle panel into a classic tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rust.

iceberg.jpg

What you can see is the least of it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Thats no big deal at all really. Seen plenty worse fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

millington wrote: »

There will be a nice bit of labour involved to get that fixed properly. It's a screen out job and fabrication will almost certainly be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Reminds me of the MG they did on one of the very first Wheeler Dealer episodes. Definitely a screen-out job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

They are a very rare car (almost as rare as the E28 M5) so they would be worth a small fortune done up.

At least because it's not a bonded windscreen sorting out the rust is a little less difficult than it otherwise might be, it's a windscreen out job for sure and other parts of the scuttle are rusty as well.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Rust.

iceberg.jpg

What you can see is the least of it.
    That's what replacement panels are for. Nothing better than finding out what's beneath the surface!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I'd love to see the battery tray, boot floor, jacking points, wheel arches etc. BMW love to rust in mjch the same places irregardless of model

kermitpwee wrote: »
    That's what replacement panels are for. Nothing better than finding out what's beneath the surface!!

Where are you going to get a pillar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

millington wrote: »

With fillers..... Good ole Isopon, keeping many a genuine Irish car on the road since the 1970's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

jca wrote: »
    With fillers..... Good ole Isopon, keeping many a genuine Irish car on the road since the 1970's.

Plenty of expanding foam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Where are you going to get a pillar?

Noted as still available from BMW themselves...€200 ish

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id=DC72-EUR-03-1985-E28-BMW-M535i&mg=41&sg=20&diagId=41_0220&q=41001820561

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Lots of OE parts available for the pre facelift W126 (1979 to 1985) from Mercedes. BMW were able to get me a brand new master key for my E34 (far newer I know) within 2 days of ordering it for €25

It just goes to show a few on here know about surplus stock and other resources

I don't think that so called "poster" realizes that certain cars will have surplus stock, often for decades after production ceases

Fair enough, didn't know you could buy the pillar new. Everyday is school day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    There will be a nice bit of labour involved to get that fixed properly. It's a screen out job and fabrication will almost certainly be required.

While the rest of the car may well be a teabag, the section in question is not a big deal in the grand schemes of restoring a 30 year old BMW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

BMW are actually very good for spares for older cars, they've only recently enough launched their Classic BMW Parts Shop too.

BMW are actually very good for spares for older cars, they've only recently enough launched their Classic BMW Parts Shop too.

Its very good alright but be careful, 1 item can be twice the price of the dealer price the next can be half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Its very good alright but be careful, 1 item can be twice the price of the dealer price the next can be half the price.

Oh I'd say some of the prices are horrendous, I use CarPartsPros for most of my random parts, insert Part Number, select OE or aftermarket and you get that item, simple :cool:

Oh I'd say some of the prices are horrendous, I use CarPartsPros for most of my random parts, insert Part Number, select OE or aftermarket and you get that item, simple :cool:

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk. You know where I am... :pac::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Year 2000 Honda Civic for sale in Waterford on Donedeal, €2000. The seller describes it as having a few scratches. It's a wreck. Can't post a link,sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

jelutong wrote: »
    Year 2000 Honda Civic for sale in Waterford on Donedeal, €2000. The seller describes it as having a few scratches. It's a wreck. Can't post a link,sorry.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic/19200857

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Jaysis, has to be an extra zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

NCT expired last November, L plate on the windscreen.. 2k? Sure why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Jaysis, has to be an extra zero.

Or two..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Thing about BMWs is they need genuine parts on some things, otherwise the problem either won't be resolved or will come back in a few weeks time.

I wouldn't claim to be that knowledgeable with the other models but in the case of the E46, the handbrake shoes, CCV (oil breathers), thermostat and MAF are among the parts that need to be OEM (sometimes genuine BMW prices aren't that bad either).

Sometimes non OEM is indeed better; Powerflexes are the only way to go for rear trailing arm bushes and subframe bushes (and I'd imagine it's the same for E36s as quite a few of the weaknesses with the E46 were inherited from the E36 - the RTABs being the classic example), while a genuine water pump uses a plastic impeller so an aftermarket one with a metal impeller is better, BMW only sells full VANOS units but it's actually the seals that fail in them so aftermarket is by far the best option here as well. You can also buy DISA valve repair kits for a fraction of the price of a brand new one from BMW (again, BMW doesn't offer a refurb kit at all).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement