Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And the winner of dreamer of the year is...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

knipex wrote: »
    Years back I had a mustang with a 302 engine, a 5ltr V8

120bhp from the factory.

They have low RON rating petrol in the US (Or are least the used to have)
    So they needed big capacity engines to get the power.

Also because the engines are under less stress, they can use cheaper components.
    A lot of older muscle cars are very agricultural in their design because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

grahambo wrote: »

Also because the engines are under less stress, they can use cheaper components.
    A lot of older muscle cars are very agricultural in their design because of this.

Still do. I think its 87 here for the cheap stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Still do. I think its 87 here for the cheap stuff

RON87!!!!???

I thought it was RON91 or something, 87 is v low.

RON87!!!!???

Here ya go :)

https://www.exxon.com/en/unleaded-gasoline

Cheap as chips though.

I got 7.199 gallons for $19 when I was on a business trip in Virginia last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

RON87!!!!???

they dont use RON ratings in the states do though? that is a european thing. A rating of 91 at the pump in the US is the equivalent of 95 RON and 87 in the states is the equivalent of 91 RON here.

http://www.pencilgeek.org/2009/05/octane-rating-conversions.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

As with so many things, the Americans do things differently to the rest of the world.

They use the average of MON (Motor Octane Number) and RON (Research Octane Number - what most of the rest of the world uses, including us) to get AKI (anti-knock index), colloquially known as 'octane'. MON is typically 6 to 12 units lower than the RON equivalent, but they are not the same, as they are measured at different engine speeds.

87 AKI (or '87 octane' in US English) = 91 RON
    91 AKI = 95 RON
    93 AKI ('premium gas') = 98 RON

As with so many things, the Americans do things differently to the rest of the world.

They use the average of MON (Motor Octane Number) and RON (Research Octane Number - what most of the rest of the world uses, including us) to get AKI (anti-knock index), colloquially known as 'octane'. MON is typically 6 to 12 units lower than the RON equivalent, but they are not the same, as they are measured at different engine speeds.

87 AKI (or '87 octane' in US English) = 91 RON
    91 AKI = 95 RON
    93 AKI ('premium gas') = 98 RON

I always buy the cheap stuff to be honest. Its going into a rental car with less than 10k miles on it usually and I never see the effects of the next tank :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

To be fair power dropped hugely int eh 70's as a result of emission controls and only came back to the point where a 302 engine passed 200bhp in the 90's.

Agricultural is a good description, I also like lazy.

Big heavy steel lumps, over sized over weight and (in some ways) over engineered. Big unstressed blocks that physically incapable of revving.. get them anywhere near a red-line and valves will start hopping, springs snapping and holes will appear in blocks..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

swap “property or land with an old house”
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/19270093
    Saw that (or the other 1 in the country) a good few years ago at a garage in donabate.

Young naive me thought to myself, "jaysus, must be worth 20 grand!".

Saw it online for 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

2010, 5 door, white, low-ish spec 110k miles 1200 tax S3

Yours for a snip at only 17,500 euro and yes he is serious :eek:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-s3/19257863

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Note that there are 2 owners in Ireland yet he brought it in from the UK.

Seller also has an FQ300 and a diesel Maestro for sale, which to be fair you have to admire him for having.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I say the number of owners is the ole tax switcheroo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

rex-x wrote: »
    2010, 5 door, white, low-ish spec 110k miles 1200 tax S3

Yours for a snip at only 17,500 euro and yes he is serious :eek:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-s3/19257863

17,500 or nearest offer which would be 6k!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

didn't even wash all the bugs off the front, that's gotta be a 10k discount there

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

17,500 or nearest offer which would be 6k!

You think a 2010 S3 is only worth €6k? :confused:

Can you show me any for sale, even in the UK for that price, because I'll be first to buy it.

Quazzie wrote: »
    You think a 2010 S3 is only worth €6k? :confused:

Can you show me any for sale, even in the UK for that price, because I'll be first to buy it.

Twas just a guess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Twas just a guess :D

I'd be VERY surprised if that went for south of €10k and in budgeting for a 2010 S3 I would've thought €13-14k is more realistic for a good one. If that one is a really good one then his price isn't massively off. A bit optimistic, but only borderline dreamer

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'd be VERY surprised if that went for south of €10k and in budgeting for a 2010 S3 I would've thought €13-14k is more realistic for a good one. If that one is a really good one then his price isn't massively off. A bit optimistic, but only borderline dreamer

Given the tax is 1200 (double the pre 07 models) and its the very unpopular sportback with high enough mileage id say 8ish would be realistic for it. They are worth alot less here due to the tax than in the UK..... I have been keeping an eye out for a new project s3 hence I found it :pac: Even at that price I dont think it would fly out the door

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Given the tax is 1200 (double the pre 07 models) and its the very unpopular sportback with high enough mileage id say 8ish would be realistic for it. They are worth alot less here due to the tax than in the UK..... I have been keeping an eye out for a new project s3 hence I found it :pac: Even at that price I dont think it would fly out the door

I don't think people who buy s3's worry about tax.

I don't think people who buy s3's worry about tax.

Of course they do, it's one of my main criteria in the one I'm importing. 1200 tax is hard to swallow when you can have the same car with half that amount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Of course they do, it's one of my main criteria in the one I'm importing. 1200 tax is hard to swallow when you can have the same car with half that amount

Eaxctly i wouldn't pay 1200 to tax one.

tossy wrote: »
    Eaxctly i wouldn't pay 1200 to tax one.

The 3.0 supercharged S4 has the same tax band, it's madness

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

The 3.0 supercharged S4 has the same tax band, it's madness

I wouldn't pay it to tax an S4 either they are no faster than a mapped S3 (of course if you map the S4...) When you see the tax band Gofl R's and 8V S3's fall into it puts them all to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Lads a 2010 paddy spec diesel a3 wud cost around 6grand another example of people looking at the reg plates and not wot the car actually is no doubt its a bit on the high side i wud be lowering the price and advertising in the uk or north they are sought after and not bought on the cheap

How in Jesus name can you get the same car with half the tax.

CC vs CO2

The 2008 tax cutoff puts the later ones on emissions based tax so unfortunately it doubles the tax on the same car registered a month apart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

The Astra opc went up in tax aswell, my 07 is 710 but 08 are (I think) 1000, a few people said to me when I bought it I should have got a 08 for the cheap tax!

CC vs CO2

It's a 2010

• Advertisement

It's a 2010

The cars are the same from 2006-2012. There was a slight facelift in 2010 but very minor and all engine, interior, performance etc remained identical.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement