Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can Ireland come out of this ,with respect?

Options
  • 19-02-2009 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

It keeps entering my mind ,how can we come out of this mess and still be respected by the rest of the world.
    Do things like the fianna fail's policies ,actually make any difference to even the EU's opinion of us ,in the long run?

It's becoming more obvious that if we want any respect after this ,it's going to take a lot of listening both from government and the people here.

Is something like that possible in Irish politics ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    It keeps entering my mind ,how can we come out of this mess and still be respected by the rest of the world.
    Do things like the fianna fail's policies ,actually make any difference to even the EU's opinion of us ,in the long run?

Of course, its already been covered in a different topic.
    The Irish government have been giving a warning by the EU to shape up or ship out.
    It's becoming more obvious that if we want any respect after this ,it's going to take a lot of listening both from government and the people here.
    The government under FF will not be doing any listening.
    They will now start dictating their terms.

Nobody WANTS to take a pay increase, least of all union bosses.
    And nobody is willing to forgive the likes of Willie O'Dea for the colossal government waste and complete lack of effort.

The LAST thing that will happen in the current climate is listening, especially when Fianna Fail are so good to look after their own and won't even call in the fraud squad to investigate Anglo Irish and Sean FitzPatrick.
    Is something like that possible in Irish politics ?

With the present system, in a word: No.

We need reform across whole public sector and urgent political and economic reform.

Just 1 example:
    The Irish Revenue are one of the most widely respected and technologically together in the world.
    If you've heard of REACH services, this has effectively been abandoned, when it was 98% paid for and complete.
    This was quite forward looking stuff.

Why you ask was it abandoned?

Because the various govt departments didn't want to participate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

We will not get respect until we as a nation grow up.
    We have had independence for nearly one hundred years, yet we still think the system is some mythical entity, or some foriegn entity such as the EU in Brussels.

We reward chancers, who fleece the system, by not sanctioning them and driving them out of public life.
    They may be charismatic, but so are all the great con men who are robbing you blind, while they engage you in friendly banter.

It has reached the level where we deride people who don't have this charismatic give of the gab as boring and not up for the craic.

Ever since this economy took off we really did become a nation with a lot of greedy little showoffs, trying to outdo each other and trying to grab as much as possible.
    We forgot about communities and about the less fortunate, otherwise how can people explain why Harney is still a minister and Drumm has a job.
    Look at the crime levels in this country. People who do lines of coke in posh pub's toilet don't seem to think the gangland wars has anything to do with them. Look at the drink problems, lawlessness and sexual antics of our kids.

As a nation we act like children, we gladly take grants, FDI and EU subsidies.
    Then we complain like a spoilt child when it is our turn to contribute.

We tolerate a cosy top echelon in business and political life where there is a you scratch my back and I'll scratch your back mentality.
    We appear to think becuase someone wears a suit, went to a good school and went to university they are not really a liar and a thief.

We need to clean out the chancers, get rid of the failures, the criminals and the inept.
    It is a cliche but we need to start respecting ourselves and our nation.
    Maybe then other countires will start repsecting us.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Good point YT, we've never in living memory gone from being rich to being poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Unfortunately, the Irish government is so far up itself, it won't take advice from anyone outside the "Iron-pyrites circle".

"Those idiots in Brussels - what do they know?" Is probably the only comment that the government has with regard to EU criticism.

Until they get rid of this mis-placed pride, the reputation of Ireland will continue down the tubes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    If you've heard of REACH services, this has effectively been abandoned, when it was 98% paid for and complete.
    This was quite forward looking stuff.
    Not the whole story.

This was a pet project of Finanace, not Revenue. Code-named 'wretch' by those outside of its golden circle & it was so forward-looking it was over budget, late and didn't work very well. The private-sector consultants who designed it, made it hugely expensive for other departments to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

jmayo wrote: »
    We need to clean out the chancers, get rid of the failures, the criminals and the inept.
    It is a cliche but we need to start respecting ourselves and our nation.
    Maybe then other countires will start repsecting us.

- couldnt have put it better myself BIG cleanout needed then & only then will our respecability be restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The private-sector consultants who designed it, made it hugely expensive for other departments to use it.

Yes this is yet another simmering-pot ready to have the heat notched up in the next few weeks I suspect.

What happened,why was it allowed to reach such an advanced stage even after serious doubts had been raised about it`s suitability and viability.

Who was its mentor and what relationship existed between the "Consultants" and the Senior Civils......"The white-flag is raised......and they`re off" :mad:

As jmayo sez....
    We will not get respect until we as a nation grow up.
    We have had independence for nearly one hundred years, yet we still think the system is some mythical entity, or some foriegn entity such as the EU in Brussels.

The essential advantage which other European countries possess is that they still have SYSTEMS which remain functional.
    Ireland,in its rush to enrich mediocrity and laziness set about dismantling a good deal of its old "British Rule" administrative stuff and left us with a "Self Regulating" banking sector and much mre besides.
    The disbursement of Social Payments without even a basic level of cross referencing or verification has led to the existance of a huge proportion of people who in effect are a ticking time-bomb as if their funding stops they may well Storm the Bastille of Kildare Street in search of something or somebody to blame.

Even some of our official responses to the early stage collapse such as the Crazy Notion of lending money to those who had been turned down by the Banks serves to illustrate how deep our crisis of intelligence really is.........

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Appreciate the replies ,I've nothing to add myself to whats being posted ,I'll hold off on signing myself into a mental asylum just yet:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

As a nation we act like children

Very true, we had no value on money. As soon as we got some we were throwing it around like there was no tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

I agree completely about there being a mentality issue, but how is this supposed to be resolved? We can't just jump op an a national platform and say Irish people need to grow up. We need real reform across our political landscape and unfortunately none of the major or viable political parties are offering that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement