Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Mortgage - Ripped Off

Options
  • 19-02-2009 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

Heh,

Six months ago I switched my mortgage to IIB now known as KBC homeloans. I am signed up to a 3 year fixed deal which I never knew until two months ago. Now with interest rates coming down im losing a fortune. I am currently paying interest only my problem is I should just be paying the interest, this is a joke it being fixed.

My repayment interest only is 890euro per month for 208000
    I got a quote from another company yesterday for 600euro per month for 208000

I rang my mortgage company today and they told me to break out of my contract would cost me 12,000euro ONLY.

This is a joke im paying 300euro a month dead money. The 890euro would cover a repayment mortgage. I want to break this deal but im not paying 12,000euro :eek:

Does anyone have any information to help me? I didnt even know I was signing up for fixed!! Its stupid paying interest only and being on a fixed rate

:mad:

Any help much apprciated,
    brendaN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

no advice really.

when your signing up to such a big commitment make sure you understand 100% what you're signing up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Evertonia

You took out a mortgage for 208,000 and didn't know what type of mortgage you had taken out?? Find it hard to believe!! There is always a penalty for breaking a fixed rate mortgage and only way of getting out is to pay the 12,000.
    If interests went up instead of down then you would not be complaining. In 2 years interest rates may be above the current fixed rate you are on and you will be paying less than the going rate. You should have taken out a tracker mortgage if you wanted your mortgage to move with cuts and hikes in interset rates by the ECB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You signed up to a rate without checking it first so....that's it really. Fixed rate is always higher much higher than a variable so if you miss that, you just haven't done your homework.
    There's no way out of it without paying up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Have to agree. It really pays (especially in your case) to know what you're signing up to, and potential costs.

Of course, if interest rates had gone the other way, you would be saving plenty. It's the nature of the market. You took a risk in getting a fixed repayment.

I know I took out a 1yr fixed term for my first year, and it worked out well, as interest rates increased. At the end of that I changed to a tracker, and I got lucky with the timing, as interest rates came down.

Changing mortgages can be very costly, depending on the circumstances. I doubt you've any easy way out of your situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Iri$hKeLt

To be honest I think it was my father that put me on the fixed!!! Im only young, And hes awful when chosing stuff... I advise him of a mortgage company at the time that would save me over 100euro a month but no he wanted me to join IIB cause hes a member :rolleyes:

Im smart enough when it comes to mortgages and stuff I always do my research I just cant understand why im on fixed.

Reason I listened to him is because he was guarantor. And I have another one in england and only way to get my english mortgage was with IIB no other company would so I guess that was a reason too.

Im very happy with england my repayment was 570stg / month now its only 210stg/ month cause im aon varible.

Im really not happy with my irish mortgage, I heard something on the afternoon show about a woman wanting to break her fixed mortgage and it was possible to get out for a smaller fee but I missed most of it.

• Advertisement

I was advised interest rates were coming down Ireally dont know how this happened. I blame the solicitor she should have outlined this to me.

My papers were wrong 3 times and had to be sent back cause of mistakes!!

Im wondering was this another.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Evertonia wrote: »
    You took out a mortgage for 208,000 and didn't know what type of mortgage you had taken out?? Find it hard to believe!! There is always a penalty for breaking a fixed rate mortgage and only way of getting out is to pay the 12,000.
    If interests went up instead of down then you would not be complaining. In 2 years interest rates may be above the current fixed rate you are on and you will be paying less than the going rate. You should have taken out a tracker mortgage if you wanted your mortgage to move with cuts and hikes in interset rates by the ECB.

I'm with PTSB and they didn't charge us a cent to go from fixed to variable. that was six months ago.
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

If sombody was on a 3 year fixed and they decided to move morgtage providers at the end of that 3 year term would the penalites be any less severe then what they would impose if you moved midway through the 3 years?

mathie wrote: »
    I'm with PTSB and they didn't charge us a cent to go from fixed to variable. that was six months ago.
    M

you got very lucky mate, never heard of that...

im paying interest only its stupid that its fixed!!!! Im paying a repayment mortgage atm but really only interest its a joke!

I got my solicitor fees payed it was a promotion, I was then told if I leave the mortgage companywithin the 3 years I would have to pay them back??? They never said anything about this 12,000euro??

• Advertisement

I think I would pay up to 3,000euro to break this if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

So you describe yourself as "young" yet you pay over €1000 a month in mortgages and own two properties. Also you let your dad decide what mortgage you should choose despite already owning a property in the UK.

Only in Ireland.....or maybe africa or south america.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Sorry, but your solicitor isn't employed to advise you on what type of rate to take. Its down to yourself or your Da in this case.

With my first and my current house I kept looking at the rates and only made my decision at the last moment. It really is a big part of getting a mortgage, so to be ignorant of it is kinda silly tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Iri$hKeLt wrote: »
    I blame the solicitor she should have outlined this to me.

I'd be surprised if the solicitor was giving you financial advice on what mortgage to take out. They tend to stick to giving legal advice.

You should be able to talk to your bank about switching between fixed and tracker.

But, from the sounds of things, you let others make the financial decisions for you in this case, so only yourself to blame, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

We're on fixed.

When you choose fixed, you are in effect saying I'm taking a gamble: I'm hedging peace of mind against the possibility that rates could fall.

No use in moaning when you lose.

There's always a penalty for breaking a fixed term mortgage. It's not up to them to tell you, it's up to you to ask these things.

Sure if there was no penalty for leaving, everyone would be on one when rates are going up and everyone would get on a variable when the rates are dropping!

As I said, I wanted to take my mortgage out with a different lender but as I was getting my mortgage in england at the same time IIB was the only one to offer me the english mortgage and as my father was guarantor I had no choice but to go along with him.

If it was up to me I wouldhave picked bank of scotland at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

Im smart enough when it comes to mortgages and stuff I always do my research I just cant understand why im on fixed.

this is obviously not the case, the choice of rate is the main choice you take when getting a mortgage. You would have been offered a number of rates and the fixed rate would have been among the more expensive yet you chose that. Also if you had actually done research you it would have been obvious 6 months ago that rates were on a downward path. You may have got bad advice but don't claim you were ripped off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

And if you wangled out of the fixed rate, went to tracker or variable and the rates went up again in 3 years time, you'd probably sign right up for fixed again.

You can't expect the bank to care about the fact that you didn't investigate the implications of fixed rate and somehow facilitate you purely on the baiss that it didn't work out financially for you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As I said, I wanted to take my mortgage out with a different lender but as I was getting my mortgage in england at the same time IIB was the only one to offer me the english mortgage and as my father was guarantor I had no choice but to go along with him.

If it was up to me I wouldhave picked bank of scotland at the time.

It has nothing to do with which bank you went with. They all have fixed and variable rates, so choosing IIB really is a side issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Heh,

Six months ago I switched my mortgage to IIB now known as KBC homeloans. I am signed up to a 3 year fixed deal which I never knew until two months ago. Now with interest rates coming down im losing a fortune. I am currently paying interest only my problem is I should just be paying the interest, this is a joke it being fixed.

My repayment interest only is 890euro per month for 208000
    I got a quote from another company yesterday for 600euro per month for 208000

I rang my mortgage company today and they told me to break out of my contract would cost me 12,000euro ONLY.

This is a joke im paying 300euro a month dead money. The 890euro would cover a repayment mortgage. I want to break this deal but im not paying 12,000euro :eek:

Does anyone have any information to help me? I didnt even know I was signing up for fixed!! Its stupid paying interest only and being on a fixed rate

:mad:

Any help much apprciated,
    brendaN

So you got a 200K mortgage without reading the terms and conditions? lol

This is what you get for being greedy!! Two properties!!

You guys keep talking, I keep saying IT WASNT MY CHOICE can you read

Thanks for your help no more help needed if you arent going to listen.

MY FATHER WAS GUARANTOR I DIDNT HAVE A CHOICE!!!! REGISTER IT PLEASE!! I DIDNT HAVE A CHOICE OR HE WASNT SIGNING

Im looking for a way out now not stupid comments

And tell me what a solicitor is paid for???

There ament to read out everything to you when signing and let you know exactly what your signing up for. There ament to go through all terms and conditions with you there and then. Dont tell me otherwise

Oh god, another IrishKelt classic.

Is it actually possible for you at all to post in a thread and it not ending up like this? Probably too busy having sex with a beautiful girl last night :P

It wasn't your choice of bank, or to go with a fixed rate?

Going with IIB has NOTHING to do with the fixed rate option, so stop trying to blame your Da, your solicitor or your bank.

Right, you didn't have a choice. Point is you didn't know that you were on a fixed rate because you didn't find out.

So what are you complaining about? Do you think you can go in to your bank and say "let me out of this for free because my dad had to go guarantor so I had no choice but to go with you"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Thanks for your help no more help needed if you arent going to listen.

MY FATHER WAS GUARANTOR I DIDNT HAVE A CHOICE!!!! REGISTER IT PLEASE!! I DIDNT HAVE A CHOICE OR HE WASNT SIGNING

Im looking for a way out now not stupid comments

Perhaps you should ask your father to pay. Did he actually insist on a fixed rate or just that it should be with iib.

Options:

1) sell property
    2) acknowledge the fact that your mortgage has not gone up since you took it out, the repayments are the same.
    3) Thank you dad for you being able to buy the property in the first place, instead of blaming everything on him!

• Advertisement

delly wrote: »
    It wasn't your choice of bank, or to go with a fixed rate?

Going with IIB has NOTHING to do with the fixed rate option, so stop trying to blame your Da, your solicitor or your bank.

Ok it was all my fault I lied

Advertisement