Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What birds visit your garden?

• 19-02-2009 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

This has probably been done before but what the hell! I live in the middle of a town and get the following on a near daily basis...

Great Tit
    Blue Tit
    Coal Tit
    Robin (never leaves!)
    Chaffinch
    House Sparrow
    Pair of Blackbirds
    Dunnock

I think that's it. Nothing rare or exciting!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

I'm lucky enough to live in a very rural area, I love birdwatching, have done for years. Apart from all the usual plethera of garden birds I get loads of Jackdaws, a few Hoodied Crows and Rooks and 2 or 3 pied wagtails on a daily basis.

Occasionally I get Snipe, Meadow Pipits, Reed Bunting, Linnets, Grey wagtails and Raven (once one was in the chicken pen). In the summer there are Grasshopper warblers in the marshy area over the road but I never saw one in the garden sadly.

No sign of starlings this year and no collared doves, I don't think they've got as far as me yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

on a daily basis I have goldfinches,greenfinches, siskins, house sparrows, chaffinches, a couple of blue tits, an occasional great tit, a robin (when I scatter some mealy worms around), 3 or four wagtails, a couple of blackbirds, occasional starlings and very occasional meadow pipet, mistle thrush and songthrush. Oh and a pair of jackdaws that have taken over the suet feeder thing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Golfinch, chaffinch, blue tits, great tits, robins, magpies, siskens, trush, sparrows, ravens, a beautiful blackbird

and i had a beautiful pair of wood doves until that stupid blood cat got one of them and i havent seen the other one around

i am so mad:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Resident in the garden:
    Robin (very territorial especially at dawn and dusk)
    Blackbird pair (quite a difference between sexes)
    Possibly a Wren nesting in a rock pile, only spotted once

House Martins should be back in a month or two

Goldfinches (10 this morning)
    Greenfinches
    The odd Chaffinch
    Song Thrush
    Blue Tits
    Great Tits
    Long-tailed Tits
    Starlings
    Magpies
    Dunnock

All sorts of seagulls hang out on the roof - don't bother looking at them anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Add wrens to that mix; here all year and very friendly. And chaffinches.

Still very new here so learning who is here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

and i had a beautiful pair of wood doves until that stupid blood cat got one of them and i havent seen the other one around

The last Wood Doves I saw were in Malawi, Africa. :) Do you mean Collared Doves, or was the cat a Leopard? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Blue Tit
    Bullfinch(not too often)
    Chaffinch
    Chiffchaff
    Coal Tit
    Robin
    Siskin
    Dunnock
    Goldfinch
    Great Tit
    Blackbird
    Blackcap(not too often)
    Greenfinch
    Grey Wagtail(not too often)
    House Sparrow
    House Martin(every year)
    Magpie
    Pied Wagtail
    Song Thrush
    Mistle Thrush
    Starling
    Swallow(every year)
    Treecreeper
    Wren
    Wood Pigeon

I think that's them all(not all technically garden birds) although we do get Grey Heron,Buzzards,Kestrel and Sparrowhawk in the immediate area but not usually in the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

With a varied mix like that; you'd be surprised how often mr Sparrowhawk comes calling. It's always very fast. Flys with the walls and hedges as cover then swoops to make a kill and is gone.

I'll not list them all but the all time Garden Count at the moment stands at 56 species. The weekly counts average 17.

I hope you all take part in the Birdwatch Ireland Garden Bird Survey (Winter months) or the BTO ongoing survey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I'll not list them all but the all time Garden Count at the moment stands at 56 species. The weekly counts average 17.

I hope you all take part in the Birdwatch Ireland Garden Bird Survey (Winter months) or the BTO ongoing survey.

Tell me more...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

gerky wrote: »
    Blue Tit
    Bullfinch(not too often)
    Chaffinch
    Chiffchaff
    Coal Tit
    Robin
    Siskin
    Dunnock
    Goldfinch
    Great Tit
    Blackbird
    Blackcap(not too often)
    Greenfinch
    Grey Wagtail(not too often)
    House Sparrow
    House Martin(every year)
    Magpie
    Pied Wagtail
    Song Thrush
    Mistle Thrush
    Starling
    Swallow(every year)
    Treecreeper
    Wren
    Wood Pigeon

I think that's them all(not all technically garden birds) although we do get Grey Heron,Buzzards,Kestrel and Sparrowhawk in the immediate area but not usually in the garden.

Good jaysis Gerky tis like a Bill Oddie wet dream...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Beef wrote: »
    Tell me more...?

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/

Click on online surveys, register and you can record the vistors to your garden on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

Despite living in Dublin 8 which is pretty urban I am lucky enough to have a park with a river outside my apartment window so i have been observing lots of species. I actually have a little list i keep (anal i know) but i don't care i enjoy it. Over the last 12 months I've had the following

Blue, Great, Long tailed and Coal tits
    Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch,Siskin Linnet and Redpoll
    Chiffchaff (only seen Once), BlackCaps, Goldcrest
    Blackbird, Song and Mistle Thrush, Redwing and Fieldfare
    Pied and Grey Wagtail
    Wren, Robin, Dunnock
    Grey Heron, Mallard
    Black Headed, LBB, Herring and Common Gull,
    Hooded Crow, Jackdaw, Rook and Magpie
    House Sparrows and Starlings
    Sparrowhawk
    Waxwings
    And in the Summer flying over
    Swallow, Sand Martin and Swifts.
    Oh and last Summer there was an escaped parrot ...very exotic for the area

It's amazing what you can see when you give a little time to observe what's about the place even in the city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Siskin (multiple, fight over Niger seed feeder)
    Robin (x2, very territorial)
    Bullfinch (two pairs, male and female, very lively)
    Blue, Great, Long tailed and Coal tits
    Blackcap (very aggressive towards the tits, will squat a feeder and screech at any trying to feed)
    Magpie
    Wood Pigeon (4x loiter at end of garden trees now, 10x plus depending on food)
    Dunnock
    Wren
    Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch
    Blackbird, Song and Mistle Thrush
    Starlings
    House Sparrows
    Collared Dove

---

Never had a wagtail, ever, which I miss.
    This is the first year seeing a Jackdaw feeding from suspended feeders.
    Long tailed tits arrive in a 'mob', record was 9 hanging from one suet ball, you couldn't see the food because of the birds.
    Starlings feeding from suspended feeders. Rare for us.

Does the Siskin feed in pairs, would the female be less coloured than the male? We seem to have pairs feeding at the Niger seed.

I'm partial to the Dunnock, quite tame. Our tits are bold as brass, they won't budge when you go out to replenish food.

I put a mesh to prevent larger Wood Pigeons from getting at the food, leaving just enough room for smaller birds. I came back that afternoon to find a Collared Dove wedged in like a maggot, gulping down everything in sight, it could get in flat, sideways, funny bird, it could get out fine, very very persistant.

Yes, that's the link to the Birdwatch Ireland one which ends soon. The BTO do one all year round

http://www.bto.org/gbw/index.htm

I was lucky enough to start it many years ago and do so for free. I think there may be a start up subscription now but the web site should explain all.

The contirbution from thousands of people watching birds in their gardens adds up to very important scientific data. Well worth doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

With a varied mix like that; you'd be surprised how often mr Sparrowhawk comes calling. It's always very fast. Flys with the walls and hedges as cover then swoops to make a kill and is gone.

Yea, they do be around, I actually had a very close encounter with a male last year, he was after being attacked by a large group of starling and swallow so he took cover under a bush about 3-4 feet away from me, he stayed for several minutes.
    But I don't envy any raptors trying to eat in this area as the other birds don't take kindly to it:)
    Beef wrote:
    Good jaysis Gerky tis like a Bill Oddie wet dream...
    That would explain the small bearded fella in the corner alright:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

The last Wood Doves I saw were in Malawi, Africa. :) Do you mean Collared Doves, or was the cat a Leopard? :)

LOL - sorry wood pigeons :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RuthyB

Hey, I've never posted here before, but my Mum has a wonderful garden that attratcs all sorts. We have

• Blackbirds (I think 2 pairs, or else one pair and a lone male)
    • Robins (pair)
    • Wren(pair)
    • Bluetits
    • Great Tits
    • Linnets
    • Goldfinches
    • Chaffinches
    • House Sparrows
    • Tree Sparrows
    • Coal Tits
    • Starlings
    • Collared Doves
    • Wood Pigeons
    • Magpies
    • Grey Heron (Seen once standing in our pond a few months back)
    • Bullfinches (rarely)
    • Siskins
    • Song Thrush
    • Green Finches
    Its great to see them all hovering around the feeder and hopping in and out of Mums flowerbeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Magpies. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

loads of little chaps but always a big fat wood pigeon I call Alan, he's very tame!!!:D

• Advertisement

Linguo wrote: »
    loads of little chaps but always a big fat wood pigeon I call Alan, he's very tame!!!:D

I haven't been very creative, our tame one is called.. 'Woodsy'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Live in an apartment but we recently got a visit from a robin on our balcony. Was the day with all the snow so looked like something from a Xmas card. Put some food out for him and he was coming back a couple of times a day. Haven't seen him in a while but then again I've barely been at home during the day since. Little bugger doesn't hang around long enough to take a photo though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 murphysgirl

during the winter we had mostly three magpies and a couple of crows.

late spring and our two robins came back, fighting as ever.

plus we've now three tits jumping and sparring around.

my garden is enclosed, not very big, I've put out some bird feed in a feeder and a nest from B&B in the hedge near the wall and away from the neighbours cat. all in the faint hope some passing dot will actually find my garden good enough to bring up his young in.

living i hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I also have got quite a few birds to visit my 4th floor balcony in Dublin City to feed. Here are some of my regulars :) Whilst i can see blackbirds from the balcony none have actually landed :( the biggest coup I had was getting a pair of collared doves to nest successfully last summer on my window box. They reared 2 chicks during that miserable few weeks of non-stop rain!
    1. Bluetit
    2. Greattits
    3. Coaltit
    4. Robin
    5. Starlings
    6. A pair of Collared Doves
    7. Sparrow Hawk
    8. Seagulls
    9. chaffinch
    10. Greenfinch
    11. Sparrow
    12. Siskin
    Here is a link to a thread on my collared doves last year. I'm hoping that they will nest again this year. :)
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1654.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Here in 'sunny' DG I have the misfortune to live in a town centre apartment and the variety of birds is very, very limited.

1. Feral Pigeons.
    2. Starlings.
    3. Blue Tits.
    4. Great Tits.
    5. Feral Pigeons.
    6. Jackdaws.
    7. Feral Pigeons.
    8. Grey Wagtails.
    9. Pied Wagtails.
    10. Wood Pigeon.
    11. Did I mention Feral Pigeons!

Anyway I recently bought a cap gun for the pigeons (used from my kitchen window) but after initial success they now treat me with contempt and clearly my arsenal needs a re-think. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 murphysgirl

its wonderful, you can tell spring is coming, the birds are singing loudly in the mornings again :) or maybe it just that sunrise is starting to come when I'm at home and not when I'm at work that i notice them more, hmmmm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Here in D15 I'm very lucky to have a large amount of wildlife visiting, or living in my garden including the following birds:

Blackbird
    Crows/Jackdaws/Ravens (whatever you want to call 'em!)
    Woodpigeon
    Collared dove
    House Martin (fascinating watching them zip across the garden and between the trees in hunting parties)
    Swift (overhead, dont know where they nest, in the fields nearby I think)
    Starling (a very new arrival - hope they dont drive out the smaller birds)
    Coal Tit
    Blue tit
    Great Tit
    Long-tailed Tit
    Goldfinch
    Greenfinch
    Goldcrest
    House Sparrow
    Dunnock
    Thrush
    Robin
    Wren
    Barn Owl (nests nearby, and often sits on the tall trees at the end of our garden in the evening)
    Magpie
    Chaffinch
    Kestrel - has appeared regularly, once even crashing into the kitchen window in its attempts to catch birds at a feeder)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

The birds are very active at the moment and eating me out of house and home, constantly re-filling the feeders, non stop visitors from dawn to dusk are:-
    Goldfinch
    Greehfinch
    Chaffinch
    Sparrow
    Dunnock
    Blue Tit
    Great Tit
    Coal Tit
    Long Tailed Tit
    Siskins
    Robin
    Collared Dove
    Wood Pidgeon
    Jackdaw
    Robin
    Wren
    Wagtail
    Rook
    Black Birds
    Thrush
    Buzzard (not on the feeder :eek:)
    The odd Swan, Heron, Duck, Kestrel, Owl have been known to fly over also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BogBean

Lads
    The Siskins make most peoples lists. I am not too familiar with this bird, we dont get them really where I am from. Are they widespread in Dublin, in the city parks etc? From these posts they would appear to be something along the lines of garden birds. What about the rest of the country, are they everywhere or are am I doing something wrong?

• Advertisement

BogBean, have you tried putting out Niger Seed for them, that will get them in.

Bogbean....they are of the finch family a little smaller than a goldfinch and skinny little things, yellow in colour the male has a black head, I had never noticed them before until this year and now they are there all the time I have about five of them, agressive in nature will fight off a larger greenfinch to get to the feeder, seem to only go for the peanuts. Maybe their numbers are growing or maybe when they find food they will stay there. I got really excited when I first saw them great to see something different, now they are there all the time - not so exciting ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hannahbanana

Hi I am feeding house sparrows at the moment. Also one robin and numerous crows, magpies, seagulls etc

oh how could I forget our Snowy Owl.......... not in my garden but close by. Also last year we had a corncrake in field opposite my house :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Hannah,
    I'd be a little concerned that your Snowy Owl might be the one that was found injured and died in Foxford at the start of the year.
    See here http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web?task=Display&sighting_id=7692

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭sparklepants

South Co. Cork:
    • Pied wagtails
    • Robins
    • Jackdaws - wonderful to watch gangs of them try to figure out ways of dislodging the bird feeder
    • Rooks- who appear to observe the antics of the jackdaws
    • Magpies
    • Sparrows- far fewer than in previous years
    • Wrens
    • Robins
    • Blackbirds
    • Song thrushes
    • Starlings
    • Blue tits
    • Great tits
    • Housemartins - they build a nest under the apex of the roof every year and are due to return next month
    • Common gulls - they retreat from nearby harbour and circle overhead whenever it's about to rain

• Advertisement

I hope not Connaght but our Snowy has not been spotted lately:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Any one place that is reasonable for buying feed here in Dublin. Seen pleanty of deals on ebay but due to shipping its not worth it in the long run. Local pet store is doing a 25Kg of mixed seed at the moment for €19. Used it before and would have alot of husk type seeds. They also do a 25Kg bag of peanuts for €40. Birds never seemed to bother much when I put them in a feeder but seem to like them when I run them through the blender.
    Whats the best anyones got on buying niger/sunflower seeds in bulk

I find B & Q very competitive on their prices especially if you are buying the bigger bags. Even the likes of Aldi or Lidl when they have them would be very keenly priced I bought a 25kg bag of mixed seeds in Aldi for 16 euro and a bucket of peanuts 10kg for 10euro. Though they dont have them all the time I would buy a couple of each when they do have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

IF those prices are right you wont beat Aldi, especially for peanuts. I think the lad made a mistake but I managed to pick up a 25kg bag of nyjer for €35 in one of the bigger pet stores in Santry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Have a pair of collared doves nesting on my balcony at the moment.
    They started building Saturday morning in my flower basket just as I was heading West!
    Came back last night and spotted one egg in the nest this morning.
    This is their second year to nest on the balcony. They successfully reared 2 chicks during the dreadful Summer last year.
    They have been smart this year and have managed to use one of my flowers boxes as roofing. Will post a photo shortly.
    Heres a link to a thread on last years successful nest :D

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1654.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

We have robins, blackbirds, blue tits, great tits, coal tits, collared doves, wood pigeons, a dunnock/wren (couldn't tell!), starlings, occasional great tailed tits, magpies, jackdaws, hooded crows, occasional black headed gull, and occasional goldfinch. Nothing out of the ordinary unfortunately!

What is this one? It's a juvenile I think so I'm getting confused.

f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

Hi there,

That is a lovely picture of a Greenfinch!

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I live in central Illinois so we get plenty of cardinals. :) When it gets a little warmer I hope to make the yard a bit more appealing to the wee fellahs.

multi_cardinal.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

Thanks Stevensi, I knew he was a finch of some sort, guess it should have been pretty obvious but I thought he'd be more green, probably because he's young (I think).
    He's never been back since anyway, I give every bird that enters the garden a visual third degree with a binoculars!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lookjohn

Hi There, Swallows come to our garden every year to nest in our garden shed. This year I set up a webcam and am currently capturing the activities. So far 4 eggs have been laid and I expect the eggs to hatch this week. to view the live webcam day or night visit this link Swallows Nest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Thanks for that. Very interesting - I thought the Swallow was dead there for a while then it moved slightly. I suppose incubating eggs doesn't call for a lot of flapping about. Should get more lively when the eggs hatch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

[IMG][/img]2604114172_54e1f6ecb2_o.jpg

Advertisement