Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair launches in-flight mobile calls service at a cost to everyone.!!

• 19-02-2009 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Ryanair passengers on most flights from Dublin can text and make calls on their mobile phones from today.

The airline launched what it claimed was Europe’s first fleet-wide inflight mobile phone service on 22 Ryanair planes this morning, and says it plans to extend the service to all of its 170-plus aircraft over the next 18 months

Using your mobile phone inboard will cost significantly more than European roaming rates, at €2 to €3 per minute for a call. Sending text messages will cost about 50 cent but receiving texts will be free. The cost of sending an email on a Blackberry or other smart phone will be €1 to €2 while web browsing will cost about €10 to €15 per megabyte of data transferred.

Is this a good thing? Its bad enough trying to have peace and quite without their advertisement announcements and then have some idiot on the phone beside you. Will they cash in on this again by offering a "quite area" at an cost to those of us that want to travel in peace?

I think the pricing is acceptable, it is high enough to put the average person off using their mobile continuously yet it is enough to allow someone to make a quick call to notify someone in the arrivals if there was is a delay.

Internet browsing is a bit exorbitant, €10 to €15 per megabyte. :eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0219/breaking36.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Sitting next to Sharon and Kevin from Essex on their way to Dublin whilst they phone all their friends to tell them "I'm on a plane...No, it's ****e".

can't ****ing wait:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The reality is that most people won't use the phone service, it's expensive. I can imagine the text service being used more frequently, and it's not that awkward to listen to someone getting a text.

More awkward was my flight home from Poland at Christmas where I was woken at 5.30 to tell me all about Bullseye Baggies premium spirits (How can something claiming to be a premium spirit be sold in a bag), and again at 6.30 to sell me a scratch card. I've no issue with them doing it in the mid morning/afternoon/evening time, but the whole plane was asleep, and it woke up all the kids which resulted in crying kids for a half an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭yhwh

Don't use Ryanair if you have a problem with this, it's pretty simple guys :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

yhwh wrote: »
    Don't use Ryanair if you have a problem with this, it's pretty simple guys :rolleyes:
    No doubt Aer Lingus & BA will copy them. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Alot of us dont have a choice. Its just when is enough enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's not simple at all I'm afraid, I don't have a choice when I fly to Poland to choose anything else but Ryanair because of the city I visit. For a lot of people, they're in the same boat (If you'll excuse the idiom) for that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I think it's quite expensive. I won't be using it apart from in exceptional circumstances (ie - if there was a long delay and I was supposed to be meeting someone at the airport).

If they made it cheaper, a lot more people would probably use it and they could make a bigger profit in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Apparently the system can only accept 6 calls at one given time so it can't be that bad.

Advertisement