Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fitting chrome towel rail - danger?

Options
  • 19-02-2009 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I do not know much about DIY, please be patient. Thanks

I want to screw a chrome towel rail to bathroom wall.
    The detector says there is a live wire and also to turn off power when doing it.
    How near can i go to wire as I want the rail to start as near as poss to the tile over the hand basin?
    And if i turn off power and screw touch the wire what happens when power comes on, is the rail live then?
    Can I stand on something when drilling to prevent shock?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 PEC

IF THE POWER IS OFF WHEN YOU ARE DRILLING YOU CAN STAND ON ANYTHING BUT A WOODEN STOOL OR CHAIR IS BEST.IF THE SCREW IN THE RAIL TOUCHES A WIRE THEN YES THE RAIL WILL BE LIVE AND VERY DANGEROUS.YOU COULD DRILL THE HOLE FOR THE PLUG AND SCREW AND THEN TURN THE POWER ON. THEN INSERT A PHASE TESTER INTO THE HOLE. IF IT DOESNT LIGHT UP YOU HAVENT HIT A WIRE.

GOOD LUCK WITH IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 marcodemarco

PEC wrote: »
    .YOU COULD DRILL THE HOLE FOR THE PLUG AND SCREW AND THEN TURN THE POWER ON. THEN INSERT A PHASE TESTER INTO THE HOLE. IF IT DOESNT LIGHT UP YOU HAVENT HIT A WIRE.
    Thanks. i am using one of those plugs that will go into plasterboard without a drill. Can I turn off power, screw in plug, turn on power and then put phase tester in to touch plug? If OK then screw in screw?

IF THE PLUG IS METAL THIS WILL WORK IF IT IS PLASTIC SCREW THE SCREW INTO THE PLUG THEN SWITCH THE POWER ON AND TRY THE PHASE TESTER. IF YOU ARE GOING INTO PLASTERBOARD THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE THAT YOU WILL MOVE THE CABLE RATHER THAN PIERCE IT.

IF THE PLUG IS METAL THIS WILL WORK
    OK
    IF YOU ARE GOING INTO PLASTERBOARD THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE THAT YOU WILL MOVE THE CABLE RATHER THAN PIERCE IT.
    I did not think of that thanks.
    I am not sure how to turn off the power. I looked in the fusebox and the various rooms are written under each fuse. If I pull the trip will it kill all the power to the house? Or do i move all the switches down to off?

JUST HIT THE TRIP SWITCH HOPE YOU HAVE A TORCH

• Advertisement

HOPE YOU HAVE A TORCH
    I have actually, but will leave till light of day, thanks for your help. And thanks for not:D at my being unable to turn off power:o

SENSIBLE CHOICE HOPE ALL GOES WELL TOMORROW

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Thanks. i am using one of those plugs that will go into plasterboard without a drill. Can I turn off power, screw in plug, turn on power and then put phase tester in to touch plug? If OK then screw in screw?

If you can find a "stud" for one side of the towel rail, use some nice wood screws to go into it.. then use the plaster board fixing on the other side....

Your unlikely to hit a cable with the type of fixings your using.... you could always make a small pilot hole, where you plan on putting the fixing and push something in, to see if you hit anything... i doubt you would in a partition wall...

(PS It sounds like you have a cable/stud detector, so see if you can locate a stud, even for a few of the fixings, will be a better job, will never fall down... Also see if you can see any of the plasterboard nails raised, ever so slightly, these will be on a stud too... )

(PPS Just a guess, but is your detector picking up a stud in the wall, rather than a live wire?? you could make a small pilot hole and see!

You might be lucky, what you think is a cable, could be a stud, then you could just screw the towel rail in! )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

:confused:
    For a minute there I thought I was in humor boards :rolleyes:

PPS Just a guess, but is your detector picking up a stud in the wall, rather than a live wire??
    I don't think so because the detector has a seperate led for a wire and this is lighting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement