Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem renaming SQL server

Options
  • 19-02-2009 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Im an SQL noob so apologies if I am missing the obvious.

I have been asked to install Microsoft Dynamcis CRM onto our W2K3 member server. I get as far as the verification results where it tells me that 'The Instance name must be the same as the computer name'

I am aware that this is due to the fact that the server has been renamed since SQL was installed. I am trying to run the below commands but they are returning invalid syntax errors.

@SERVERNAME AS 'Server Name'

The above command tells me that SQL views the sername as UNIFLOW-PRINT-S. The actual servername is UNIFLOW. So I need to change it to Uniflow. I then run the below command.

sp_dropserver <UNIFLOW-PRINT-S>
    GO
    sp_addserver <UNIFLOW>, local
    GO

Executing this command gives me the below error.
    Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 1
    Incorrect syntax near '<'.
    Msg 128, Level 15, State 1, Line 1
    The name "S" is not permitted in this context. Valid expressions are constants, constant expressions, and (in some contexts) variables. Column names are not permitted.
    Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 1
    Incorrect syntax near '<'.

I am conscious of the fact the it is highlighting the PRINT part of the servername in blue. Is it recognising this as a command or is it that it does not like the dashes in the name?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

Roy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

sp_dropserver 'UNIFLOW-PRINT-S'
    GO
    sp_addserver 'UNIFLOW', local
    GO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

Many many thanks. Worked a charm.

Thought I tried it but must have used double quotes.

Thanks again...

Advertisement