Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sleep Paralysis Disorder

• 19-02-2009 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Right, I have this condition where I'm constantly trying to wake up during my sleep. however, my body is paralysed as it naturally shuts down when one is aslpeep. So what happens is, I'm trying to wake up but my body is limp. Technically I'm still asleep, not dreaming but aware of my surroundings and stuff. It's really odd. I know a few people who get this on a regular basis and everyone ive spoken to ever has had it at least once. How can this be stopped?? is it a physcological issue or what?? Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

Its actually quite a common disorder, I know two people who experience it on a regular basis. (once avery 3-4 months)

however, my friends describe it as actually being fully awake, but unable to move, which is terrifying in itself. However, I have heard of even more terrifying experiences- imagine waking up and not being able to move a muscle, exept your eyelids. Then imaging an old hag witch woman making her way up your body from your toes....

Anyway, the underlying mechanisms are pretty poorly understood- we know that your body paralysis itself, basically to stop you acting out your dreams, when you are woken, you unparalyse yourself. simple.

But i have never experienced this, and you have, whats the difference between me and you? Well, nobody really knows, genes are suspected (i mean you inherit this disorder from your parents). It will only happen if you are woken suddenly from a very deep REM sleep.

But, to answer your question, there is NO evidence that it is a psychological issue, its probably a genetic disorder.

godd luck with it anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 AlRocks

Thanks man for your insight there, but I am 100% sure it is not genetic as there is no history of the disorder in my family. About what your friends are telling you about being awake, that is incorrect. Sleep Paralysis Disorder only happens when you are asleep, dreaming that you are awake is the illusion, as I have noted, whilst in this state, that my room is dark, as if it were night time but when I came out of it, it was in fact morning. So this makes the idea that you are awake while it happens completely redundant. I have also came to the conclusion (based on my own personal notes and diary) that it is in fact a result of being over-tired, run-down and or stressed. Any way thanks again for your response. There just isn't enough research into this fairly common disorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Ms_Nightengale

I experience this too!!..and it is definitely related to stress and being over tired..It is the most terrifying thing..not being able to move and sometimes not being able to open my eyes..I always thought that it was just when I was halfway between dreaming and consciousness...I used to hear weird things like footsteps coming towards my bed or a dog barking (there is no dog in my house).

Now if its happening I just do some deep breathing, relaxing rather than fighting it..and its over in about 5 seconds.

Definitely a very strange experience and not one that people understand...told a couple of friends about it and one nearly had me convinced that my house was haunted:rolleyes:

And don't really think its genetic as nobody in my family has ever experienced it.

It's good to know that at least I am not the only one who experiences this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 EllaF

A few things which you can take or leave ;).. try to get adequate sleep and watch your stress levels being the main things people agree on.

You may find if its recurrent for you that you become more aware of whats really happening (though I find its not always the case). If you do, although it's annoying, if you can relax into your body and just try to go back to sleep -though you will nearly always want to get straight out of the bed- it will more than likely help you either wake up fully or fall deeper into sleep which will knock the awareness on the head. I found over the years that I could sometimes pull my body up into a sitting position which would wake me up (seriously:P), but I can't seem to achieve that anymore. Do you sleep on your back? This is thought to be a factor. I found this to be true myself.. Luckily I dont normally sleep on my back at all, but every now and again over the years I've been in the mood to sleep on my back- and well, bam!:P

Anyway!
    I've been experiencing this for about 12/13 years on/off. I'm personally so used to it now and to dealing with it, I don't give it much tought.
    I do however COMPLETELY empathise with anyone who gets particularly bad episodes of ASP (Awareness during Sleep Paralysis) or anyone who has even had one, as the first experience is one of the most frightening things you could imagine (I along with a lot of people was convinced I was dead).
    It can be particulary bad if it's of the more extreme variety (hallucinations/The old hag/false wakenings :( - see link below-).

Anyway, I do believe it's linked with stress, and lack of adequate sleep and probably chemical imbalance in the brain which can happen for a myriad of difference reasons at any given time. I do also believe that genetics may be involved as at least 3 maybe 4 people in my family have had it.
    Some interesting facts are that some researchers seem to think that the likes of ASP might be involved in reports of alien abduction (makes sense) and that cot death, terribly sad as it is, may be explained by Night terrors... Yes, I would love to eventually be a Neuropsychologist:rolleyes:..

here's some links that might shed a bit of light for you, none of them are particularly great but how and ever :pac: - http://www.trionica.com/asp/defined.htm
    http://www.nightterrors.org/dis.htm
    http://www.robertpeterson.org/asp.htm

Oh and with regards to 'Lucid dreaming' (check the first link) it's only happened to me once as a result of ASP, and it was wonderful (I floated up out of my skylight window and flew across my neighbourhood - Peter pan style).. but you try telling most people who get ASP to orchestrate a lucid dream.... You wouldn't get a very good response I don't think:p
    Anyway, good luck managing it if you must and hopefully you'll stop getting it and even forget all about it for a while;)!

(Yes, I am posting at 4am because I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep, but thankfully no awareness of sleep paralysis!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

That ld hag thing..is theresome myth or something in relation to that.Its a common element .I cant put my finger on it but I know I have heard something before.
    cathy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The myth is called a succubus (female "apparition") or an incubus (male "apparition").

I've had this once, I felt like I was fully awake but couldn't move a muscle. Didn't have any hallucinations and I knew what was happening (I had read about it out of interest sometime) so I wasn't alarmed (much) but I can see how it would completely freak someone out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

no, its something more..a common trend about a old hag....not a beautiful women etc...I will have to look into it, just to cure my curiosity.
    Cathy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The succubus wasn't always a beautiful woman, that's more of a hollywood thing if I remember correctly. I know it's been described as an old hag in a lot of myths that I've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

I get this as well, started about four years ago, wasn't too common, months apart. As years have gone by it's gotten worse (I used to be fully awake and conscious, it's now degenerated to the state of it happening in my sleep, while I am dreaming, which is absolutely terrifying) and happening more and more often, to the level of about 3-4 times a week now. Does anyone know a way to make it stop??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Genevieve

That happened to me twice recently about 3 months ago. It was a horrible experience. I felt like I was being suffocated. For a full two weeks before that my sleep was very irregular and all over the place which may have had something to do with it. I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone, if it were to happen regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mossy'09

What happens me is I have a really horrible nightmare and I know in my head its a nightmare and it's time to wake up from this horrible nightmare and I can't, I'm trying my best to open my eyes but can't and the horrible dream won't go away. :eek: Obviously eventually I do..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mossy'09

What happens me is I have a really horrible nightmare and I know in my head its a nightmare and it's time to wake up from this horrible nightmare and I can't, I'm trying my best to open my eyes but can't and the horrible dream won't go away. :eek: Obviously eventually I do..

Or just b4 I go to sleep I feel like I'm trapped in between two rocks is how I usually describe the feeling. Although this could be more of a panic attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I happend to myself on several occasions,The most recent being a week ago and it was terrifiyng.Howeve it only seems to happen to me when ever I sleep in a dark room with no or very little light((as in it never happened when I had lights on)).I woke up unable to move just looking to the end of the room and I can remember trying to scream help but it wouldnt come out.

The worst happeed to me when I was only 11.I woke up in a room while staying over at my cousins house.All I could see was two small slits of light((The light from the door and its refelction,I felt as if I had to escape but I couldnt tell which one was the door.Once it happened during a blackout as well when I was around that age too...very frightening :(

I dunno if it happens during periods of stress,I have been myself but the other times I wasnt so *shrugs*.Usualy though when it happens and I'm able to move my body again I fall right back too sleep :D

Advertisement