Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dubstep

• 19-02-2009 4:28pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm hearing loads about this lately, that its the new thing etc etc - but any I have heard just does not do it for me... Perhaps I'm listening to the wrong stuff so anyone who is into it can you recommend a decent set of good dubstep? I want to at least give it a chance....

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Benga - Diary of an Afrowarrior

Skream - Skream!

Look for sets by Benga, Mala, Skream as well, they're all kinda mainstream dubstep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭KevinH

The Widdler
    The last two tracks are by Nero and Babylon Systems.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I really like some dubstep. Some examples of tracks/albums I've picked up...

2562 - Morvern

2562 - Moog Dub

Both taken from the album 'Aerial'

Headhunter - Prototype (love this track)

Headhunter - Technopolis

Both taken from 'Nomad'

Scuba - Suck

Scuba - The Upside

Taken from the amazing album 'A Mutual Antipathy'

And finally which I also posted in new releases, the new album from Harmonic 313, couple of tracks...

Harmonic 313 - Dirtbox

Harmonic 313 - Quadrant 3

Both from the excellent 'When Machines Exceed Human Intelligence'

Thats a few anyway that I have loved over the last while. Great music for the car! And I'm sure clubs too, if I ever get round to them again...

Oh and some mixes on the Hot Flush website... the man behind Scuba is also behind this label...

http://www.hotflushrecordings.com/download.html

And even more mixes and performances here

Some really good stuff there actually across numerous genres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I feel pretty meh about dubstep. Can see it's charm but I get bored of it quite easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

well as a long time jungle and dnb head it's about the only music at that sort of tempo that doesn't bore the pants off me

it's like all the good bits of house and detroit techno without the mind-numbing tedium, plus the tunes actually have basslines!

win win situation really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

caspa & rusko , most of the Fabriclive.37 album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

jtsuited wrote: »
    I feel pretty meh about dubstep. Can see it's charm but I get bored of it quite easily.

True that. Skream was the most interesting for me, stuff like Bawl Fwd and Midnight Request Line were just stomping tunes, regardless of genre. Now it seems that everyone who produced ambient/downtempo/leftfield is throwing an LFO on their basslines and jumping on the bandwagon.

Also, what's the deal with the obligatory sci-fi vocal sample in dubstep? I was working the Meerka (sp?) bar at the picnic and I swear to god over the course of the saturday I heard most of the dialogue from Fear and Loathing with added wobble :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Four 10 Minute Dubstep mixed from my mate, Dubthc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRYwNBhIl94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FMNnQhkCUs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID42wHK164Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvMpCAZfBAw

The fourth is my own personal favourite.

List of Random people to check out : Benga, Coki, Mala, Loefah, Caspa, Rusko, Skream, Ramadanman, Unitz, Kromestar, Kode9, D1, Cotti, Babylon System, Noah D, Martyn, Intalex

• Advertisement

jimi_t wrote: »
    Also, what's the deal with the obligatory sci-fi vocal sample in dubstep? I was working the Meerka (sp?) bar at the picnic and I swear to god over the course of the saturday I heard most of the dialogue from Fear and Loathing with added wobble :rolleyes:

That goes back. In the early days, as it really started around Bristol and those boys are "England till they die", they started working in various samples from English gangster and social drama films and it all went from there.

Dragan wrote: »
    That goes back. In the early days, as it really started around Bristol and those boys are "England till they die", they started working in various samples from English gangster and social drama films and it all went from there.

It started in Croydon, actually... As for the samples, Dubstep is basically another step in the lineage of Hip Hop, Hardcore, Jungle, DnB, Garage - it's sample based music at it's core - hence the use of samples; it's certainly not as if all of a sudden they started to put samples in because they're "England till they die" (wtf?)

But yeah, there's the boring wobbly student night dubstep and there's the quality gear...

Pangaea,
    Spherix,
    Synkro,
    Martyn, (released some tasty dnb on Dublin's Bassbin label)
    Silkie,
    Mala,
    Quest,
    Loefah,
    Breakage, (another long time dnb head who came up the ranks thanks to Bassbin)
    TRG,
    Joker,
    Starkey,
    Scuba,
    Vaccine,

It started in Croydon, actually... As for the samples, Dubstep is basically another step in the lineage of Hip Hop, Hardcore, Jungle, DnB, Garage - it's sample based music at it's core - hence the use of samples; it's certainly not as if all of a sudden they started to put samples in because they're "England till they die" (wtf?)

*grins* This is why i rarely talk about music on the internet.:D

I meant that they English based Dubstep folk tend to like promoting other parts of English culture in their music. You won't really find samples and dialogue from American films in the work of Caspa and Rusko for example.

That's about it. I wasn't talking about WHY there were using samples in general, just the very specific type of samples mentioned.

*grins* This is why i rarely talk about music on the internet.:D

I meant that they English based Dubstep folk tend to like promoting other parts of English culture in their music. You won't really find samples and dialogue from American films in the work of Caspa and Rusko for example.

That's about it. I wasn't talking about WHY there were using samples in general, just the very specific type of samples mentioned.

That would certainly explain all the Reggae samples then

:pac:

But you have a point to a cetain degree - the whole idea behind sample based music is that you take something from outside a genre that HASN'T been pillaged already and used by someone else and you rework it to fit with what you have...

I can't really comment on Caspa and Rusko mind you because i'm not particularly familiar with their work...

That would certainly explain all the Reggae samples then

:pac:

Actually, this is something that comes up a LOT but Reggae really was accepted by the English as a form of music and it found a great and very comfortable home there!!

Mostly though, people just like Reggae, or think they should, because it's Reggae! Well, i have found.
    But you have a point to a cetain degree - the whole idea behind sample based music is that you take something from outside a genre that HASN'T been pillaged already and used by someone else and you rework it to fit with what you have...

I can't really comment on Caspa and Rusko mind you because i'm not particularly familiar with their work...

Completely agree with you on the drive behind sample based music alright...it's part of the reason why i like it so much.

Caspa and Rusko are decent, but then again i have a very certain type of Dubstep that i really like and they match up to it.

Actually, this is something that comes up a LOT but Reggae really was accepted by the English as a form of music and it found a great and very comfortable home there!!

Mostly though, people just like Reggae, or think they should, because it's Reggae! Well, i have found.

Completely agree with you on the drive behind sample based music alright...it's part of the reason why i like it so much.

Caspa and Rusko are decent, but then again i have a very certain type of Dubstep that i really like and they match up to it.

Well agree 100% on the reggae thing obviously - people forget how crucial the infrastructure of the reggae subculture was to the development of UK dance music...

Put it this way - as soon as acid house blew up in 88 and people started to want to make and release their own uk dance music they would have had to deal with teh only cheap and reliable experts in pressing up limited runs of well mastered vinyl in the UK (by and large these were nearly 100% reggae mastering and cutting houses) and if they wanted to play the on air they were basically beholden to the Reggae pirate station culture!

Hence why UK dance music is essentially always based around sub bass, soundsystems, mc's, limited press vinyl records and pirate radio; from uk digital dancehall to hardcore to jungle to garage to dubstep the essential mechanisms of delivering music have been essentially the same...

liked that last caspa thing on digital soundboy, much of his output is a bit too "skinny jeans neon hoody" for me though...

Well agree 100% on the reggae thing obviously - people forget how crucial the infrastructure of the reggae subculture was to the development of UK dance music...

Put it this way - as soon as acid house blew up in 88 and people started to want to make and release their own uk dance music they would have had to deal with teh only cheap and reliable experts in pressing up limited runs of well mastered vinyl in the UK (by and large these were nearly 100% reggae mastering and cutting houses) and if they wanted to play the on air they were basically beholden to the Reggae pirate station culture!

Hence why UK dance music is essentially always based around sub bass, soundsystems, mc's, limited press vinyl records and pirate radio; from uk digital dancehall to hardcore to jungle to garage to dubstep the essential mechanisms of delivering music have been essentially the same...

liked that last caspa thing on digital soundboy, much of his output is a bit too "skinny jeans neon hoody" for me though...

Yeah, certain underground scenes ( that is to say, most of em! ) are definitely beholden to the Raggae traditions alright, even if it doesn't directly influence the music.

As for Caspa, this is one of my favourite tracks of his.....not his normal tack, and not what most people would see as Dubstep but **** it many, a sunny morning, a nice stroll and a spliff and this is perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mikpJZH8PwA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 christroy

the Twisted Pepper on fridays is usually a pretty good place for Dubstep and DnB. I would recommend it. the likes of Benga, 2562 and RSD have played there. Skream was meant to play there last friday, but he canceled due to his best mate committing suicide or something. Hopefully he will organize to play again.

christroy wrote: »
    the Twisted Pepper on fridays is usually a pretty good place for Dubstep and DnB. I would recommend it. the likes of Benga, 2562 and RSD have played there. Skream was meant to play there last friday, but he canceled due to his best mate committing suicide or something. Hopefully he will organize to play again.

yeah - we (REACH) run a night in there on the fridays once a month (we brought benga and 2562 over) and we share the friday nights with the likes of kaboogie!, wobble, assquake and 174 who all do more or less similar stuff; fridays in the twisted pepper are basically the place to go if you like your beats broken and bass rumbling

also, if you're curious about dubstep you could do worse than check out DISTANCE (chestplate, planet mu, UK) down in kennedy's on the 28th, support from conan and myself...

there's a few decent irish labels and producers as well, and there's a nice forum over at www.irishdubstep.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭zega

Im a DNB head at the core,but im quite a fan of dubstep aswell,people should check out the essential mixes from bbc radio 1 done by skream! and rusko they are great introduction and will give you a feel for what the the whole genre is about.Can be downloaded here:
    http://www.newmixes.com/rusko-essential_mix-sat-12-13-2008.html

http://www.newmixes.com/skream_-_essential_mix-sat-06-17-2007.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimmychin

wrote:

think that should read "hence why UK dance music is essentially always based around underground black music..."

its dem riddims, dem bass, and the urban culture that forces them to underground pirates. please dont berate me for saying this, its only my opinion

but yeah dubstep has a fresh sound, thats the great thing about these evolving genres; when you hear something that doesn't sound like anything before it.

saw benga at sibin last year where i thought he was heavy (even if the spin backs were tedious) - was a little less impressed with him at the twisted pepper but maybe thats the level of my attention span.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Code

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I really like some dubstep. Some examples of tracks/albums I've picked up...

2562 - Morvern

2562 - Moog Dub

Both taken from the album 'Aerial'

Headhunter - Prototype (love this track)

Headhunter - Technopolis

Both taken from 'Nomad'

Scuba - Suck

Scuba - The Upside

Taken from the amazing album 'A Mutual Antipathy'

And finally which I also posted in new releases, the new album from Harmonic 313, couple of tracks...

Harmonic 313 - Dirtbox

Harmonic 313 - Quadrant 3

Both from the excellent 'When Machines Exceed Human Intelligence'

Thats a few anyway that I have loved over the last while. Great music for the car! And I'm sure clubs too, if I ever get round to them again...

this is the kinda dubstep sound I'm digging aswell :)

also, most of the stuff Tyranny listed :

" Pangaea,
    Spherix,
    Synkro,
    Martyn,
    Silkie,
    Mala,
    Quest,
    Loefah,
    Breakage,
    TRG,
    Joker,
    Starkey,
    Scuba,
    Vaccine "

add :

Untold
    Kontext
    Ramadanman
    South3rn
    some of Boxcutter's stuff is dubsteppy too - either way, it's good.
    Distance
    Pinch
    Peverelist
    Appleblim
    Shackleton
    Geiom
    Kode9
    Intex Systems

and there's probably more, but there's plenty to check there anyway !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Grabbed myself some Geoim and Ramadanman last week, great stuff.

Also, check out Milanese, Boxcutter, Vex'd, Toasty and MRK 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

check out Boxcutter, he seems to be flying the flag for Irish dubstep. He's already released two albums but he's a tad different from mainstream dubstep. He's more electronically rooted than the likes of Benga and co.

He's on Planet Mu.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭La0Fruitcake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXba5qqZzyU

ahhh yes.....:)

caspa and rusko ....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

I gravitated from DnB to dubstep recently and I'm hooked.

It's not for everyone, but check out Rusko's remix of the Prodigy's 'Take me to the hospital'.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX06THDf7vQ

A couple of his older tunes:

Woo boost - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-aeLS5Mg80&feature=related
    Cockney thug - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMGkUCdF4uQ&feature=related
    Hammertime - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr21MblV0Bw&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Caspa and Rusko are ****ing ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

A_Fitz wrote: »
    Caspa and Rusko are ****ing ****e

Like Rusko's productions a lot actually. Also seen him at the start of the summer and was one of the best sets of the night IMO

Advertisement