Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The most underated player in the Premierleague...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Dante

elshambo wrote: »
    Big Bad Titmouse Bramble!

He is in the top 1% (actually, its probably more like 0.0001%) with regard to football ability on a planet of about 6 billion and yet he is called sh*t and stupid on a daily basis by fat blokes in uncomfortable shirts that cost 50p to make and £50 to buy WHO have never kicked a ball in their collective lives:eek:

Because he has given himself an awful reputation with his numerous fúck-ups through the years and his dire positioning that goes unnoticed most of the time. Although there's no denying hes having a good season for his standards....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mr Alan wrote: »
    didnt Laursen get into the PL team of the season last year? how is that possibly under-rated?

No he didn't but yes, he's highly rated by most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Because he has given himself an awful reputation with his numerous fúck-ups through the years and his dire positioning that goes unnoticed most of the time. Although there's no denying hes having a good season for his standards....!

:o

You kinda proved my point there!

Im not saying i think he is good, bad or indifferent, i just answered the question with the obvious answer

Whichever player gets the most stick for being sh*t is the most underrated!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Gareth Barry has developed into one of the most sensible and composed all-round central midfield players in Europe. Distribution wise, he's as economical as Fabregas - in the sense that he rarely, if ever! gives it away, and his distribution is almost always perfectly weighted, and to feet. Even if he has to try buy himself a yard or two of space he can do it and release it without ever losing composure. Defensively, his reading of the game and physical strength are as good as most centre-halves in the league, and he's now piping-up with 8 to 12 goals a season. His biggest strength of all though is his positional sense. Always in space and available to keep things ticking over when his team have the ball, always in the right place defensively when they don't...

In that role he plays - at what he does, I honestly can't think of anyone better. Carrick, Pirlo, Mascherano, Frings & possibly Toulalan are all probably better at individual parts of the game, but none of those are a better all-rounder than him.

And before people come on here saying Gerrard this and Fabregas that, we're talking about 'the most under-rated player' here remember.

Barry doesn't get half the credit he deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'm all for bigging up Barry but he's in the England team you know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Barry was better last season in my opinion, he's been playing with a groin injury all this season

still no denying he's top notch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Since I think Rio Ferdinand is the best defender in the world [or at least joint with Carvalho], and most don't even think he's the best defender at United, I'd say him.

O'Shea is doing well for himself now that he's not being played in midfield, his career was getting messed up by that. Fletcher has started to get the credit he deserves, and I think Park has a fairly decent level of respect, at least among United fans.

I think Ashley Young is one of the best players in the premiership, and is dragging Villa up the table, yet doesn't get the press plaudits (and hence most peoples) he deserves

JPA wrote: »
    I'm all for bigging up Barry but he's in the England team you know!

I know what you mean but he's only broken into the England team over the last year or so. He doesn't have nearly the profile a Lampard, Gerrard, or Fabregas does, but he's every bit as valuable to his respsctive team as those players. Hence 'under-rated'. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Samurai wrote: »
    pfft if by dodged you mean signed shorey i'd say the bullet hit us straight in the face!

we hardly signed a left back instead of a right winger now

• Advertisement

Because there's no denying he has potential, Spurs just don't seem to be the right club for him. I think he could play better at villa....that's if he put some effort in.

he'll never be as good a player as milner is gonna be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Titus Bramble without a doubt. He may make a serious **** up every now and again but makes up for that 10 times over.

PHB wrote: »
    I think Ashley Young is one of the best players in the premiership, and is dragging Villa up the table, yet doesn't get the press plaudits (and hence most peoples) he deserves

ash has gotten far more than he deserved this season. hes not been great by his own standards, tho yesterday he was absolutely phenomenal. put in enough world class crosses for us to have won 5-1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ha Helix is talking about Bentley to people responding about Bale.

hmm Underated.... well from a Villa point of view, Although yes he can be slightly dodgy at times ,Zat Knight imo is very underated. Consider how good he has been for Villa recently when called upon, his aerial presence and the fact that he is only actually 4th choice CB he doesent deserve the stick i see him get at times.

Also i think non-Villa fans underate Milner and Petrov, although tbh it took quite a while for even Villa fans to rate Petrov in the prem. However this season Petrov would be a major candidate for Villa's player of the season so far and yet its Ashley Young (who deserves the praise too) talked up as a possible prem POTY while Petrov does not even get a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

ha villa have totally hijacked this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Tuncay & Palacios

• Advertisement

Zat Knight is not just erratic though, he's WILDLY erratic. When he loses concentration, more often than not, it's in goal threatening situations. Take last night for exampl.e..... He went to ground too soon against Wagner Love, who just one-two'd round him and scored, and then after that he decided to nod the ball back to Guzan, knowing that there was an opposition striker between him and his own goal - I think for a split second he thought the opposition player would still be off-side if he got possession of the ball????? - not if Knight heads it back he's not! It's just stupid little things like that... you get a few of those from him every game.

In his defence though, he did score the injury-time equaliser against Arsenal in a 6 pointer, and getting the winner against Mourinho's Chelsea on his home debut for the club he always supported is the stuff of dreams. I think Villa fans do have a curious liking for him... he's a mad cnut, but he's OUR mad cnut. A loveable oaf. Not the most under-rated player in the PL though...

Also i think non-Villa fans underate Milner and Petrov, although tbh it took quite a while for even Villa fans to rate Petrov in the prem. However this season Petrov would be a major candidate for Villa's player of the season so far and yet its Ashley Young (who deserves the praise too) talked up as a possible prem POTY while Petrov does not even get a mention.

aye its gas

stan and luke young have both been ahead of ash in terms of performances this season imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Denis Irwin was hugely underrated in his day. Only now does he seem to get the recognition which he deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I have to say that Paul Scholes never gets enough credit

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Scholes? Good shout I suppose, United fans tend to bracket him with Zidane and nobody agrees so I guess someone is misrating him ;)

• Advertisement

ah i dunno about that, you wont find too many football fans who dont acknowledge just how good that bloke is and was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Gilesy is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Ji sung park he has a great work ethic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Scholes is the most over-rated under-rated player in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Scholes is better than Zidane.

IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Robert Green - Brilliant Keeper.

Richard Dunne, Phil Jagielka - Fantastic defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

+1 for Tuncay. Lovely player to watch.

And Arteta doesn't get enough praise for his immense contribution to the Premier league. He wouldn't look out of place in any of the "Big Four ™" midfield imho. Very unlucky to have some really world class players ahead of him in the pecking order for Spain (although I'm surprised he has never been selcted for Spain, could be interesting when he qualifies for Brit residency).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There are very few underrated players in the Premier League.

I think as it stands this minute there is certainly not an underrated player at any of the big four clubs, maybe some overrated but none underrated. Villa, City and Everton are well known teams also and I don't believe that players are underrated at any of these clubs.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Robert Green - Brilliant Keeper.

Richard Dunne, Phil Jagielka - Fantastic defenders.
    Can you tell who doesn't rate them? Really they are all highly touted players.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

agreed. +1 for tuncay.

and yeah, amazingly i can see where u are coming from with the Scholes > Zidane opinion Theresalwaysone. scholes has been amazingly good for so many years. utd were blessed to have him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

gareth bale

i'd love villa to take him from spurs while we're at it we'll take bentley too, thanks!

you can have them... this post hurt my brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

djimi traore gan daubt...hes probaly the worlds most underrated defender. you remember that goal he scored against burnley in 05/06? pure class his touch is amazing for one so tall.
    he even has it own song...

To Blame It On The Boogie

Don’t blame it on the Biscan,
    Don’t blame it on the Hamann,
    Don’t blame it on the Finnan,
    Blame it on Traore,
    He just can’t, he just can’t, he just can’t control his feet...

I wish the chels would sign him...how could scolari not hav seen he alone was the answer to shoring up chelseas defense. i am of the opinion that because scolari failed to sign djimi traore that it was the reason he was sacked? whos with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think as it stands this minute there is certainly not an underrated player at any of the big four clubs, maybe some overrated but none underrated.

i'd refer you back to page one and the Arbeloa post!

gareth bale

i'd love villa to take him from spurs while we're at it we'll take bentley too, thanks!

Bale is completely over-rated, not under

Big Bad Titmouse Bramble!

He is in the top 1% (actually, its probably more like 0.0001%) with regard to football ability on a planet of about 6 billion and yet he is called sh*t and stupid on a daily basis by fat blokes in uncomfortable shirts that cost 50p to make and £50 to buy WHO have never kicked a ball in their collective lives:eek:

OooooooooOOOH, hark at you with your controversial, out there opinion.

Yours is a sh!t post of the highest sh!teness!! If all football fans were to take your attitude, then we wouldn't be able to give an opinion (except to do a Jamie Redknapp and say they're all top top. But that would be a bit boring now, wouldn't it??)

I think it's taken as a given that Premier League footballers are better players than posters on Boards. When someone says a player is sh!t, they are comparing them to other professional footballers!

I ain't gonna win an Oscar anytime soon. but can i still call Keanu Reeves sh!t???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

monkey9 wrote: »
    OooooooooOOOH, hark at you with your controversial, out there opinion.

Yours is a sh!t post of the highest sh!teness!! If all football fans were to take your attitude, then we wouldn't be able to give an opinion (except to do a Jamie Redknapp and say they're all top top. But that would be a bit boring now, wouldn't it??)

I think it's taken as a given that Premier League footballers are better players than posters on Boards. When someone says a player is sh!t, they are comparing them to other professional footballers!

I ain't gonna win an Oscar anytime soon. but can i still call Keanu Reeves sh!t???
    I fail to see the controversy in maths!?:eek:
    Desperatly looking for an internet fight are we?:o
    Are we having a bad day?:o
    Poor you!:D
    If all football fans were to take your attitude,
    You dont know me, you dont know my attidude,
    You do know yourself and by the looks of it, self loathing
    What ever your projecting onto me, doesnt fit, different hat size
    What with that big head and all!:eek:

Bramble is the most underrated player in the Premier league!!!

ooh btw I doubt there is any scale or measurement of acting ability that would place Keanu Reeves in the top 0.0001% in the world with regard to talent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Bramble is actually overrated. People say he's sh!t, but he's actually worse.

You dont know me, you dont know my attidude,

I do know your attitude to the below
    and yet he is called sh*t and stupid on a daily basis by fat blokes in uncomfortable shirts that cost 50p to make and £50 to buy WHO have never kicked a ball in their collective lives:eek:

I know this because you posted it and then i read it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Lee Catermole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Tony Hibbert

Kenwayne Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

kevin davies or brede hangeland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Jonas for Newcastle. Works his socks off for us every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Christiano Ronaldo for sure :p

i'd refer you back to page one and the Arbeloa post!
    What about Arbeloa, Spanish International and first choice at Liverpool. How is he underrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Oh ye, Kenwyne Jones and Cisse too - I think they're both deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Stephen Ireland.

Having watched him the other night in the flesh for the first time I can safely say he's the best midfielder I've seen pull on a City shirt in the best part of a decade. The guy is simply a machine. Is up and down the pitch all game and doesn't get tired. It's great seeing him get pissed off when he doesn't get passed the ball. He wants to win so bad, and was absolutely disgusted when we conceded late the other night.

Here's a pic of him at the end of the game -

Ireland.jpg

Yes he's a bit strange off the pitch but on it there's few in the league better imo.

i dont know anyone who doesnt think ireland wouldnt walk into most teams in the world

hardly underrated like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Helix wrote: »
    i dont know anyone who doesnt think ireland wouldnt walk into most teams in the world

hardly underrated like

We'll see when the end of season awards are handed out. He won't win any of them (other than probably our club award) and won't make the Team of the Season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Id say you'll be presently suprised this season Xavi6. Ireland's been excellent this season and v consistent. He's def been noticed in the press for it.

What will be interesting is whether he wins any of the player nominated awards..

He's definitely been the most outstanding midfield player this season.

He's not underrated in any sense I don't think..

As per underrated players, you could probably take your pick of any the Arsenal players really bar Fabregas. Arsenal's style of play and Wenger's management style means that collectively Arsenal as a team get the plaudits, when individually there are several top class players in there who prob don't get the recognition they should..

Xavi6 wrote: »
    We'll see when the end of season awards are handed out. He won't win any of them (other than probably our club award) and won't make the Team of the Season.

no youre right he wont win, but that doesnt make him overrated

he doesnt deserve player of the season

• Advertisement
Advertisement