Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you cook ray/skate

Options
  • 19-02-2009 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

exactly as the title says...
    does anyone have any recepies for this fish??:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's nice just fried in a pan with a bit of butter and oil, salt & pepper.

Or put it in a roasting dish. pour some white wine in the bottom and scatter over some thyme, lemon slices, salt and pepper and some dots of butter.
    Put in a hot oven for about 15 - 20 mins.
    The top comes out sort of grilled and the bottom is poached in wine - yum.

I did it on the BBQ once - will again - very nice.

Capers also go well with it.

It's a fantastic fish and no fiddling about with small bones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

great thanks, i remember having it at home when i was younger, but havnt had it since. Dont know what came over me today but just got a craving for it!!
    the oven method sounds good mmmm, thanks again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cover in flour and pan fry for some crunchy bits too.

It's a delicious fish, if you are buying it, ask for "long" ray. You probably remember eating the "wing" parts, the "long" ray is the part from the middle.

It's a bit more "meaty" or something.

I have a hankering for it myself now, but I'm having a steak tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I cook it in the oven on a bed of onions. A little water in the bottom and use the herb I get in the supermarket called fish. Pepper, salt and a little lemon on the top. Long Ray is best but you can get back bone of Ray near me for 1 euro each. Great in these times of belt tighting. :)

ENJOY :D

Advertisement