Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me build a decent PC-Please!

Options
  • 19-02-2009 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi, I would like to build some nice PC for myself. I'll used it for play games, movies, music, making and converting videos etc. I have 1000euro to spend for my project, that incl. monitor. Can you propose me somethig, and any ideas where can I buy all components for my PC, except Komplett.ie. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

ironderek wrote: »
    Hi, I would like to build some nice PC for myself. I'll used it for play games, movies, music, making and converting videos etc. I have 1000euro to spend for my project, that incl. monitor. Can you propose me somethig, and any ideas where can I buy all components for my PC, except Komplett.ie. Thanks.

No komplett.ie eh?

What about any other online retailer?

If you're for some reason against the idea of just komplett.ie then you're blacklisting the only worthwhile online retailer for Ireland. In terms of price, postage, and returns it's the best we have.

If you're against online retailers altogether then just walk into the nearest computer shop, pull down your pants and prepare to be taken by the sales man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

No komplett.ie eh?

What about any other online retailer?

If you're for some reason against the idea of just komplett.ie then you're blacklisting the only worthwhile online retailer for Ireland. In terms of price, postage, and returns it's the best we have.

If you're against online retailers altogether then just walk into the nearest computer shop, pull down your pants and prepare to be taken by the sales man.

+1 nothing but good experiances from komplett.ie not like dabs who want to know everything about you before you're finally aloud to buy something there and give them money!!

Beacuse I have very little to do, I priced up a PC for you on hardwareversand.de.
    AMD Phenom II X4 810 AM3
    171,81 €

Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P, ATX, Sockel AM3 	
    118,50 €

4096MB-Kit OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 	
    75,97 €

ASUS 512MB ATI HD 4870, PCI-Express
    236,61 €

Asus VW222U, 22" Widescreen, 2ms, DVI 	
    204,28 €

Cooltek CT-K 2 Midi Tower, ATX
    27,50 €

Xilence Power 550 Watt	
    33,02 €

Hitachi P7K500 320GB
    40,83 €

Samsung SH-D163B SATA Bulk schwarz
    12.51 €

Total
    921,03 €

There's a bit of leeway there for postage and/or refining the selection.
    I've not purchased or really looked into DDR3 RAM so you might want to have a look at that selection.

Don't think I've left anything important out in terms of hardware.

The links to these components are attach in a html file to this post.

I would really recommend buying online over buying components in a shop. In a shop you have a poor selection and very overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ironderek

You get me wrong. I don't have anythink against Komplett.ie. I said exept Komplett.ie, because that was only one place which I knew where you can buy online pc komponents(and PC World). I've been asking you if you know any others plases, online shops in Ireland or UK wher you can order PC parts.
    I definitly gonna buy parts for my PC from online shop, without a doubt.
    Thanks galwayguy22 for nice PC, but can you make somethink similar with Intel Quad Core Procesor, and graphic card where you can hook up monitor and LCD TV at the same time. I would like to have also multi card reader build into my pc.

Oh you meant you accept komplett.ie.

Any particular reason you want to go with an Intel Quad Core?

See my ramblings in this thread to see why you should go with the AMD Phenom II socket AM3

• Advertisement

I never had anythik with AMD so I can't compare to Intel, but this time I would like to choose whatever is better.
    What do you think about this:

LG W2252V-PF (2ms, DVI, HDMI)
    AMD Phenom II X4 920 Quad-Core /2.8GHz, 8MB, 125W, BOX, AM2+/ [HDZ920XCGIBOX]
    Pentagram Freezone HP-120 ALCu Karakorum [P7015]
    AsRock A780GXE /AMD 780G
    HIS Radeon HD4870 512MB DDR5 /256bit/ 2xDVI TV-out [H487F512P]
    A-Data 4GB (2x2GB) PC800 CL4 Extreme Edition [MD2800+AD2G0(D)]
    Western Digital Raid 500GB 7200rpm 16MB cache SATAII [WD5002ABYS]
    Pioneer DVR-216D SATA (black)
    Cooler Master Elite 331 (Black)
    Chieftec 500W [GPS-500AB-A]
    Creative Labs Inspire T6100 (5+1)
    Razer DeathAdder
    Razer Arctosa Silver

I never had anythik with AMD so I can't compare to Intel, but this time I would like to choose whatever is better.
    What do you think about this:

LG W2252V-PF (2ms, DVI, HDMI)
    AMD Phenom II X4 920 Quad-Core /2.8GHz, 8MB, 125W, BOX, AM2+/ [HDZ920XCGIBOX]
    AsRock A780GXE /AMD 780G
    HIS Radeon HD4870 512MB DDR5 /256bit/ 2xDVI TV-out [H487F512P]
    A-Data 4GB (2x2GB) PC800 CL4 Extreme Edition [MD2800+AD2G0(D)]
    Western Digital Raid 500GB 7200rpm 16MB cache SATAII [WD5002ABYS]
    Pioneer DVR-216D SATA (black)
    Cooler Master Elite 331 (Black)
    Chieftec 500W [GPS-500AB-A]
    Creative Labs Inspire T6100 (5+1)
    Razer DeathAdder
    Razer Arctosa Silver

The AMD 780G has an integrated graphics card which may cause some problems when installing an operating system and such.

The Phenom II X4 920 is a socket AM2(old socket) processor. If you go with a Phenom II X4 810 and an AM3 motherboard, it will allow you to use DDR3 ram and have far better ability to upgrade in future.

Some HD Radeons have HDMI ports on the graphics card itself, others have 2 DVI ports and you then use a DVI to HDMI adaptor on one of these for TV out. Some cards contain this adapter in the box, others you have to buy it extra for around 15 euro, so be aware of that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

ironderek wrote:

Wha? I just Googled it. Guess where the only English result is? :p Where on earth did you find that thing? :confused::D
    The AMD 780G has an integrated graphics card which may cause some problems when installing an operating system and such.

True, but very unlikely... you usually wind up stuck in VGA mode when installing any version of Windows anyway up until you download the latest Catalyst/ForceWare... and the vast majority of OS support the HD3200, its hardly brand new anymore...
    The Phenom II X4 920 is a socket AM2(old socket) processor. If you go with a Phenom II X4 810 and an AM3 motherboard, it will allow you to use DDR3 ram and have far better ability to upgrade in future.

Bear in mind that DDR3 still commands a hefty price premium. Also, the 810 isn't the best overclocker out there; nowadays you almost have to get a Black Edition CPU to overclock an AMD well (no messing with HTT!); if the OP is thinking of overclocking he might want to jump up to the 940BE or consider an odd compromise and go AM3 but using the X3 720BE as a CPU instead; higher overclockability (on AM3 mobos) and much lower price and power consumption against the loss of one core.
    Some HD Radeons have HDMI ports on the graphics card itself, others have 2 DVI ports and you then use a DVI to HDMI adaptor on one of these for TV out. Some cards contain this adapter in the box, others you have to buy it extra for around 15 euro, so be aware of that.

Most ATI partners are usually pretty good about this, HIS in particular; its the CrossFire bridges that are always getting left out in my experience. From what I've seen that model should come with both as standard accessories.

I'm really confuse now - go for AMD or INTEL? I want to say that I would not overclocking my PC.
    What about this:

640GB Western Digital WD6400AAKS 16MB SATA2-59,63 €
    ATX Midi NZXT Alpha Case ALP-001 - black with Window -57,32 €
    1024MB HIS Radeon HD4870 GDDR5 HDMI DVI PCIe-200,15 €
    Samsung SH-S223F/BEBE black SATA Dual Layer ReWriter bulk-19,34 €
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3 P35 S775 FSB 1333MHz PCIe ATX-80,20 €
    Netzteil ATX be quiet! Straight Power BQT E6-550W-76,62 €
    2x2048MB Kit OCZ Reaper HPC 1066MHz CL5-80,64 €
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 1333MHz S775 12MB 45nm-247,30 €

or:
    Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz Socket LGA775, 1333MHz, 12MB, BOXED w/fan
    Asus P5Q PRO, P45, Socket-775, DDR2, ATX, GbLAN, Firewire, 2xPCI-Ex(2.0)16
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI-I, HDMI, HDCP, Lite-Retail
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 160GB SATA2 8MB 7200RPM+Samsung SpinPoint F1 500GB SATA2, 16MB 7200RPM
    OCZ StealthXStream Powersupply ATX/EPS,500W, 120mm Fan, 20/24pin
    Crucial DDR2 BallistiX PC6400 4096MB CL4 Kit w/two BallistiX 2048MB's, E.P.P

Can somebody based on components at www.komplett.ie listed for me everything(I mean everything) what I need for my PC with AMD Phenom II inside. Thanks.

• Advertisement

AMD Phenom™ II X4 810 Quad Core

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 3GB CL9

Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P, Socket-AM3

Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5

Samsung SpinPoint T166 250GB SATA2

Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner

Sapphire Adapter HDMI female-DVI-D male

Samsung 22" Wide Syncmaster T220 1680x1050 2ms

Antec Three Hundred Black CASE

OCZ StealthXStream Powersupply ATX 500W

TOTAL: €1,055

Includes the appropriate DVI to HDMI adapter which will allow you to hook up to the TV, audio and video over the HDMI cable.

3GB of ram. You'd hardly notice the "advantage" of 4GB anyway.

Links in the attached basket.

Do I need any CPU Cooler? Or anything else for that PC?
    Is AMD Phenom™ II X4 810 Quad Core better than Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The 810 is marginally inferior to the E8400 when dealing with applications that can only utilize one or two cores and not enough instances of such programs are used simultaneously to heavily load more than two cores due to the speed differences (2.6GHz vs 3GHz). In any situation where more than two cores are loaded (i.e. heavy multitasking, most games running alongside heavy background processes) and applications that are CPU-intensive and inherently massively multithreaded (e.g. most antimalware, sound/video editing/encoding inc. Photoshop, some newer games) the extra cores give the quad a massive win (effective maximum of 10.4GHz vs. 6GHz) or simply allow other processes to operate if intense processing has maxed out 2-3 other cores. Market trends suggest that more and more applications (even games) will become massively multithreaded in the immediate future so a decent quad is also slightly more future-proof (a very subjective term in computing :p)

As for CPU cooler, the 300 is a decent case so you wouldn't need any more than the stock cooler if you don't intend to OC.

Do I need any CPU Cooler? Or anything else for that PC?
    Is AMD Phenom™ II X4 810 Quad Core better than Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz?

You can't really compare the two.

The AM3 Phenom will serve you better in the long term, because it is a quad core but also because it fits the new AM3 socket. You can upgrade in future, spending minimal amounts of money but still maintaining very good performance.

The Core 2 Duo, while a very good range of CPUs, are now in a defunct, out of date socket. To upgrade here, you would need to move up to the Core i7, which mean's buying a new CPU + Motherboard + DDR3 ram.

At this current time, with €1000, to achieve very good performance AND maintain that performance over a long period of time by maybe spending a small bit down the road, I'd definitely recommend the AM3 Phenom II route.

I may sound like an AMD fanboy, but whenever I purchase computer hardware, I ALWAYS go for what makes the most sense at the time of buying, what gives the best Price/Performance ratio and what gives a simple and cheap upgrade path in future, regardless of the brand or manufacturer.

Advertisement