Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High pressure problem with gas boiler

Options
  • 19-02-2009 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all, I have potterton gas boiler(sealed system)

In the last couple of weeks the pressure has risen to three and above on the gauge. Taken advice i have drained some water from one of the rads three times and the pressure will drop but gradually rises up again.

Any idea's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

More than likely your pressure vessel is gone on the system thus allowing the pressure to build up - No Expansion!! You did not say which model of boiler you have.... Potterton is the manufacturer I know but they do lots of different models!! Depending on the model the expansion vessel could be internal in the boiler or external... usually in the hot press or attic! If external it will look like a red football that has been slightly flattened!
    If external would be fairly easy to fix but if internal I have found manufacturers charge crazy prices for them! I am a Registered Gas Installer by the way so I have a good understanding of these things:rolleyes:
    If internal in the boiler do NOT attempt to repair yourself as it can be quite tricky to sort and technically illegal for anyone other than a ***"competent person" *** to effect the repair.

*** As per IS813 - Irish Gas Safety Standards!!

Hope this helps!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭eire_dd

thanks mate

it only says system on the boiler, i think thats the model......

Have a look at the pressure gauge when the boiler is cold and note the reading (i like them to be 1.5 bar, but anything over 1 is good), turn on your boiler, the pressure will rise as the pump kicks in and as it gets hotter, but only about 0.5 bar which is normal, if the expansion vessel is defective then the pressure will rise quickly and go quite high 2.5-3bar, the hotter the boiler gets the higher the pressure will be, if this is the case then you need to check as minigolf wrote the expansion vessel to see if it has it's charge inside or if it's split and needs replacing , if it's split then be aware it tends to indicate dirty system water. Now you know as much as me, and after all of that you might want to check if your filling loop to make sure it's not letting by and over filling the system, Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

eire_dd wrote: »
    thanks mate

it only says system on the boiler, i think thats the model......
    It is a System 30/80 or a System 60/100!

It is internal in the boiler and is quite a job to replace.... but you will be glad to know are readily available! :D About €85 + Fitting + VAT!

Advertisement