Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi rip off

Options
  • 19-02-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

My wife took a taxi from UCC to bus station at 9pm & it cost 10 euros
    Is this reasonable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

It's a half an hour walk.
    Google Mappo

just depends on if half an hour of your time is worth €10...

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I got caught for €10.00 from Fr.Matthew Quay to Train Station. I would have walked - but I had heavy luggage, hence taxi. Just back from London where we spent £17.00 on a taxi from Chiswick W4 to Heathrow. Traffic was great, it took 15 mins but the £17.00 fare would have been the same if we'd been stuck in traffic, it was a fixed price to the airport. We are being "screwed" by taxi Companies here in Cork. J

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

What do you mean ?

They are charging the agreed rates on the meter.

If you wish you could contact a hackney and agree a fixed-price in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

Is it reasonable? No.
    Is it the correct fare? probably.

Note that you are taking the most traffic heavy route in the City. The meter doesn't stop when you're in traffic.

Walk in future. Its not that far.
    She would have walked but she had to catch the Carrigaline bus as they are not frequent at night. And it was not rush hour it was 9pm
    I always felt that taxis in Cork were more expensive than in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

wasper wrote: »
    She would have walked but she had to catch the Carrigaline bus as they are not frequent at night. And it was not rush hour it was 9pm
    I always felt that taxis in Cork were more expensive than in Dublin.

Well, either they are or they aren't - prices being a factual matter it shouldn't be impossible to verify one way or another. The fare sounds expensive alright (considering that a trip from city centre to the airport is about €10-12 depending on what luggage you have with you), but on the other hand it's not like anyone's forcing you to take taxis.

I don't think high taxi fares are a new thing. I remember being ripped off to the tune of €15-20 for a taxi from the city out to Glounthaune plenty of times when I was in college - the simplest solution is "don't take 'em if you don't think they're worth it". That does mean you have to make alternative transport arrangements though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Trip from Town to Togher 4 years ago 10 euro
    Last week cost me 12 Euro
    I dont think there is a big difference in medium length journeys its the short ones that are pricey cause the second you hop in the taxi i think its not far off 4 euro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

7 or 8 quid is the normal fare from the train station to college.

(taxis out to glounthaune range from 15-25 depending!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Got a taxi from Jurys on western road to Mayfield before Christmas - 26euro - now THAT'S a RIP OFF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

buy a car

right now the taxi drivers are on a mission to collect back all those 1c's and 10c's they left people off with over the years. let the recession Stephen sort them out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

well seeing as how a singe to carrigaline is 3.10, and the cab to the bus station was 10e.. getting home was 13.10 plus the time to wallk from the bus.

next time call 021 4371111 and order a cab from the base in carrigaline,
    usually 15e droppign you to your front door. this sounds a better deal to me. but that might be because i think taxis are robbing cnuts and i think hackneys are generally pretty fair.

and 5.70 for a return to carrigaline!??! jeebus.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

Shocking to think that during the day it only costs around two euro to get the bus from UCC to the train station...

CommieBaz wrote: »
    Shocking to think that during the day it only costs around two euro to get the bus from UCC to the train station...

rly? it used to be 1.45 from CIT

towel401 wrote: »
    rly? it used to be 1.45 from CIT
    True, but I've been told that prices have gone up as of late. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

city centre to inniscarra takes 20- 25 mins and cost 42 euro! thats an expensive night out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

cork1 wrote: »
    city centre to inniscarra takes 20- 25 mins and cost 42 euro! thats an expensive night out
    Thats the sort of journey youd need to be spliting a few ways anyway, and you should negeotiate a price before leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

was in cairo about ten years ago, got a cab on arrival at 3 or 4 am from the main bus station to where I was staying on a road called midan tahir. The taxi driver took the best part of half an hour and kept having to ask directions. It cost 10 us dollars (massive amount at the time especially somewhere like egypt) but i was too tired to put up much of an argument. Next day I got up to find i could have thrown a stown at the station and that midan tahir translates to central station. Cheeky bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Back in 94 we gave a cab driver something like £150 for a 20 min cab ride. We had no idea of the exchange rate. 1 trillion lira was like £1... If I could catch that little bugger now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

€8 on average from Town to Ballinlough, which i think is pretty average, although one guy tried to charge me €12, good lord I was not paying that much lol. That's a return bus journey to Dublin.

Vinta81 wrote: »
    €8 on average from Town to Ballinlough, which i think is pretty average, although one guy tried to charge me €12, good lord I was not paying that much lol. That's a return bus journey to Dublin.

So did you just pay him the 8 euro instead?

• Advertisement

So did you just pay him the 8 euro instead?

Yup, I said very politely that I usually pay about 8/9 euro and looked all confused at him and I gave him 9 I think it was.

I'm not a cheap Pennys girl, but I wasn't about to pay €12 for a taxi from Patrick St to Drisscolls lol.

Proper order, some taxi drivers will try and get away with murder, especially if you're a student.

Proper order, some taxi drivers will try and get away with murder, especially if you're a student.

Oh don't I know it! I found Yellow Cabs were bloody nice about fares, I worked a stint in Redz and they always sorted me out when I'd be finished at 3/4am lol. €6 sometimes! Really nice guys!

Oh don't I know it! I found Yellow Cabs were bloody nice about fares, I worked a stint in Redz and they always sorted me out when I'd be finished at 3/4am lol. €6 sometimes! Really nice guys!

You heard it here first ladies and gentleman, this first positive comment about a cab company in this topic! :pac:

You heard it here first ladies and gentleman, this first positive comment about a cab company in this topic! :pac:

Ah well I have to give credit where credits due!

Ah well I have to give credit where credits due!

I just find it hard to give credit to taxi drivers after I was once charged 15 Euro to get from one side of Mallow to the other. It usually costed 6 Euro. :mad:

I just find it hard to give credit to taxi drivers after I was once charged 15 Euro to get from one side of Mallow to the other. It usually costed 6 Euro. :mad:

How big is Mallow? It's out the country right? Maybe it depended on the time? Or maybe he didn't like the look of ya :(

Or maybe he didn't like the look of ya :(

Discrimination!:eek:

Haven't been living in Mallow long, but I'd say it isn't as big as, say, a town like Ballincollig. What peeved me was the random price jump, coz I always got that taxi at the same time every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Guy tried to charge me and a buddy 12 euro from Patrick Street to Driscolls on the ballinlough road one night too. Added an extra 2 euro when it should have been only one and when I said it to him he said "ok just give me 11".. Left 10 euro, not sure he even deserved that.

• Advertisement

How big is Mallow? It's out the country right? Maybe it depended on the time? Or maybe he didn't like the look of ya :(

mallow is a tiny, miserable scumbag infested hole of a town. about 1.5 mile across if u must know

Advertisement