Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Credit Card - Tesco's Maybe?

Options
  • 19-02-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭

Hi

My credit card is about to expire and need to acquire a new one.

I was thinking of getting a Tesco's one but I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with them? Positive of negative.

Also, I bank with AIB and would want to be able to transfer funds from my online banking to pay my credit card bill when necessary. Is it possible to set it up as a designated account that I can transfer funds to?

Sorry this is probably a very stupid question but I've never had a current account with one bank and a credit card with another.

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If your c/c is about to expire you should automatically receive a new one in the post, you shouldn't need to apply for a completely new one :confused:

Do you actually want to switch credit card providers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

A Tesco Credit Card is effectively an Ulster Bank Credit Card which would be worth baring in mind. Tesco isn't cheap - 14.9% APR where as AIB's Click Card is priced at 8.5% APR and BOI's Clear Credit Card is priced at 9.5% APR. Both the Click and Clear cards are useful if you are just using your card to buy goods. Taking money out from both cards can be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

If you pay off your bill in full each month then Teso has one of the best reward cards.

See http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=100102

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I use a Tesco one all the time. No probs at all.

It'd be nice if they'd get internet banking for it. It's a bit annoying having to ring up during working hours to check a transaction. It's all automated though.

Halifax are offering €100 on new CCs at the moment. Might be worth a look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I would not use tesco simply because they have not got an online facility.

As previous poster, Halifax offer €100 or 0% interest for 6 months when you open an account. The rate after that is 11.7%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

stepbar wrote: »
    A Tesco Credit Card is effectively an Ulster Bank Credit Card which would be worth baring in mind. Tesco isn't cheap - 14.9% APR where as AIB's Click Card is priced at 8.5% APR and BOI's Clear Credit Card is priced at 9.5% APR. Both the Click and Clear cards are useful if you are just using your card to buy goods. Taking money out from both cards can be expensive.

I don't mind the APR rate at all as I only use my credit card as basically a debit card (just to buy things online where laser is not accepted)
    I use a Tesco one all the time. No probs at all.

It'd be nice if they'd get internet banking for it. It's a bit annoying having to ring up during working hours to check a transaction. It's all automated though.

Halifax are offering €100 on new CCs at the moment. Might be worth a look too.

Thanks for the heads up about Halifax... Wasn't aware of that. I'll check it out

No internet banking is very off putting though so I may have to reconsider... I like to know exactly what's going on in my account which I can do with AIB
    If your c/c is about to expire you should automatically receive a new one in the post, you shouldn't need to apply for a completely new one

Do you actually want to switch credit card providers?

I do actually want to switch... I've already been in touch with AIB about this. Thanks though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

halifax also doa visa debit card instead of laser if you open a current account with them.
    that might be another option for you

subway wrote: »
    halifax also doa visa debit card instead of laser if you open a current account with them.
    that might be another option for you

Plus the current account has 10% interest on balances up to €2000

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Tesco have already signalled that they intend to sever their relationship with RBS/Ulster and bring the service in-house. The freephone number on the back of the CC has been disconnected, although there is another number you can dial.

There is no problem making online payments to the card, but for some reason the sort code and account number on the statement is not the one to use for making online payments.

They can be difficult to get increased limits out of (RBS/Ulster that is), but other than that I have no difficulty with them, and the points offset the stamp duty.

Would be great to have ability to check account online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I have a tesco one and I pay it using billpay.ie

The lack of online balance is annoying, and I think their phone enquiry service is closed on weekends, even though it's automated.

I think the credit card from EBS (must be a member) which is available from MBNA is great. As far as I know it automatically insures purchases. That's a great feature available in many other countries but isn't common at all here.

• Advertisement

aphex™ wrote: »
    I think the credit card from EBS (must be a member) which is available from MBNA is great. As far as I know it automatically insures purchases. That's a great feature available in many other countries but isn't common at all here.

When you make purchases with a credit card i think they are covered for 90 days here.

davton wrote: »
    When you make purchases with a credit card i think they are covered for 90 days here.

Well i saw nothing about that anywhere in any other bank card website or terms and conditions

Well i saw nothing about that anywhere in any other bank card website or terms and conditions

An example for you being tesco:

[Link]
    Free purchase protection insurance covers certain items worth €65 or more if they are lost, stolen or accidentally damaged, provided they are not already insured. This cover applies for 100 days after your purchase with a Tesco Clubcard Credit Card. An extra benefit is free travel accident insurance. This covers accidental bodily injury or death when travelling, up to a maximum of €80,000 for Classic Card.

davton wrote: »
    An example for you being tesco:

[Link]

Hadn't seen that before. They tried selling me the CPP card protection crap, which I canceled as tesco said they covered you for fraud anyway.

Hadn't seen that before. They tried selling me the CPP card protection crap, which I canceled as tesco said they covered you for fraud anyway.

Insurance they try to sell is 'payment protection' and not to be confused with purchases protection. Its in case you cant make your payments to the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

I switched from AIB to halifax over a year ago, they had the same off and got my 100euro no problem, found the exchange rate very good, no online banking if your don't have a bank account with them... Thinking of switching to tesco myself

Advertisement