Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New kitchen units

Options
  • 19-02-2009 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

hey,

my wife wants to get a new ikea kitchen unit with a sink.

i'm well able for the installing of the unit, i'm grand on electrics, but i've never tinkerered with plumbing.

is it tricky to install a sink, or should i just get in someone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

gar_29 wrote: »
    hey,

i'm well able for the installing of the unit, i'm grand on electrics, but i've never tinkerered with plumbing.

If your handy, and have a few very basic tools you should be absolutely fine... its not rocket science....

I'm guessing the pipes are in more or less the right locations.... You can get flexible pipes to connect to the taps, which give you lots of options....

You might need to move the waste pipe slightly.... This is fairly handy too, you just glue the fittings/pipe with pipe cement ( roughing up the mating surfaces with sand paper is a good idea too )...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 bocha

go for it - possibly one of the simpler plumbing jobs - assuming plastics pipes involved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

gar_29 wrote: »
    hey,

All of the drainage fittings as simple and readily available from any DIY store, and most of them just push together with rubber seals and screw compression rings nowadays. If your piping is copper, then you could use compression fittings -- elbows etc and some 15 mm (1/2 inch) copper pipe and 1/2 inch - 1/2 inch BSP adaptors to connect to the taps. Personally I always use "Yorkshire" solder fittings as they do a better job and don't leak. If you use them, and any plumbing shop or builders suppliers will have them, then you need a good gas blowlamp preferably with a curved pipe soldering deflector, some wire wool to prepare the ends of the copper pipe, and some soldering flux. The fittings have their own solder in a ring inside. If you need to cut the copper pipe you should buy a pipe cutter (not particularly expensive). It's all very straightforward. Feel free to PM if you need help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭cossworxenergy

go for it! easy peazy. if you have copper pipes. just seal the fitting with silicone tape and will give ya a perfect seal. Electrics be careful not to put too much on the one circuit. dont have a washing machine and dishwasher on the same circuit theyll just overload and trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 deedon

I got a quote recently for fitting a new kitchen. The fitter added 150 euro for fitting the sink!
    Worth giving it a go yourself for that cost!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement