Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARTS Q

Options
  • 19-02-2009 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Could anyone in Arts tell if the top 100 students in Psychology studies in First Year get into second year Psychology on its own like UCC, UCD NUIG etc

Just wondering as UL is not one of the National University of Ireland if
    it is the same

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The short answer to your question is no - in the UL joint honours arts degree (LM032), the number of people doing psychology in year 2 is capped at 20. It's still a joint honours programme though so even for those, psychology will take up two modules per term, their other chosen stream will take up two and as far as I know they have to pick another module as well (this is simplistic really, some streams have three modules. Psychology always has two). Generally it'll be two from one stream (let's say psychology), two from another stream (any of the other 15 options from first year) and a language module, making five in total.

I'm not sure how many jt hons arts students UL have each year but it's certainly dramatically less than the 2500 that start it in UCD each year. With that in mind, it's quite possible that they wouldn't have 100 students who wanted to continue with it anyway. In UL, first year students choose from 16 subjects, one of which is psychology. Assuming the course grows, that 20 figure will presumably be increased.

The other BA course where psychology is offered as a major option is LM038 (Bach of Arts in Psychology & Sociology). As it's part of the course title, all students in it do psychology for the four years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Thanks for the reply sceptre some great advice sound Lad!
    I see less people are doing Psychology in U.L than in the other colleges because
    the points are so low i have found the answer i wanted thanks

Advertisement