Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Issue

Options
  • 19-02-2009 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

I had a faulty charger for my mobile (less than a year old)

Went into the shop and was told i would have to buy a new one and fax the recepit to three.
    Did that and was credited with the amount in phone credit instead of money..

I dont want the credit i want my money, no credit has been used.
    am i within my rights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I know that under the "repair, replace or refund" thing, you do not have to accept credit. However, I'm not sure if this would fall under the same kind of credit as getting a credit note in a shop. I would think it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

sounds to me like a reasonable solution tbh. officially it's probably a bit dodgy but the only way to force them to give you your money is to go to the small claims court and that costs €15 which would kind of defeat the purpose. that or keep calling them and giving out but i don't see that working

why don't you want it in credit btw?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What's the difference?

You paid for a phone and the charger came ''free'' with it. It didn't work so they refunded you in credit for one that you bought, credit which you would normally buy anyway.

So, what... you want them to hand you actual cash? So you can buy the credit yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Dont want credit because i simply dont top up that phone.. ( i have two )

But when i had to buy the charger that is breaking my consumor rights no?

because, its under a one year warrenty, meaning im entitled to a "repair, replacement, or a refund" and a refund its not applicable in this situation.

Instead i got a "credit" of the amount, and remenber those illegal signs in shops stating they only give credit notes to items brought back.

i simply want my 20 euro back, two letters were written to them and still they are telling me they cant do it.

The small claims court they would have to pay my fee if i won anyway no?

pp_me129 wrote: »

no you forfeit the €15

what shop told you to buy a charger and fax 3? was it a 3 store? they shouldn't have told you to do that in the first place firstly because they're supposed to deal with it and secondly because it seems you were never going to get a refund from them.

if you really want your €20 back i'd take it up with the shop because they're the ones in the wrong here. they made you buy something you didn't have to by giving you wrong information. but again, if they refuse outright to do it your only recourse is the small claims court and it's just not worth it for €20. really the best thing is to just make €20 worth of calls or buy some ring tones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

But when i had to buy the charger that is breaking my consumor rights no?

because, its under a one year warrenty, meaning im entitled to a "repair, replacement, or a refund" and a refund its not applicable in this situation.

Instead i got a "credit" of the amount, and remenber those illegal signs in shops stating they only give credit notes to items brought back.

i simply want my 20 euro back, two letters were written to them and still they are telling me they cant do it.

I thought the 12 month warranty was on the handset and only 3 months on other essentials....you did alright.....if you'd come in to me I'd probably have told you to whistle for it.......more diplomatically of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If you have two of them, what was the point in getting an extra charger when you already had one for the other phone? :confused:

You do know your phone number could stop working/credit will run out if you don't top up every 6 months, right?

Two phones two numbers two differnet brands...

And there is a one year warrenty on ALL electrical goods in ireland

To get the charger i was first told to fcuk off by the three shop, telling me you bought the phone online you send it back online, then i sent a email and got a reply to go back into the shop and do the above... The shop had never before even heard of this but said they would give it a try.

Yes i know my phone could go off, but has not yet and it was bought in augest, it does not bother me ill buy a new sim for another 6 months as nobody has one of my numbers the phone is used for other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The charger should be covered under the same warranty as the phone. The charger does not come free with a phone, it's all included in the one price when you buy it. You don't have to accept the credit, ring Three, tell them to take the credit back and issue you with a cheque for the money.

Tryed, All i got was we cannot refund the credit blah blah blah...

• Advertisement

Tryed, All i got was we cannot refund the credit blah blah blah...

you will find that with them. they will repeat the same phrase over and over again. you will get nowhere with them so ask to speak to a team leader and if that gets you nowhere, send in a formal complaint and if they ignore it, contact comreg 14 days later

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Sam,

Why bother ? You are a voice crying in the wilderness . No-one cares before the incident. It's human nature.

Three is good for what it is. They've a nice cheapo tariff in the UK. They have an extremely polite customer service which is hamstrung by their rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Three do not have to give you a refund. The choice of repair, exchange or refund is up to the retailer not the consumer.

A charger either works or it doesn't. A defect in manufacture would be immediately noticeable.

The warranty on phones only covers the phone itself and doesn't cover batteries, memory cards or chargers. Three were actually being generous by giving you call credit to the value of the charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ok, there are few ways to go about this...

1. 3 Will send you out a replacement charger if you ask.

2. If 3 don't have the replacement charger, they will ask you to buy one in a shop and fax them in a recipt for a charger and refund the money on your account.

3. Drop the charger into when you bought it, they can send it for repair and it'll be exchanged under warranty if it's not void....

As for the shop employee not helping you out as you bought online, can you really blame him...

jahalpin wrote: »
    Three do not have to give you a refund. The choice of repair, exchange or refund is up to the retailer not the consumer.
    well if you want to get technical about it they didn't give him any of those 3 things
    A charger either works or it doesn't. A defect in manufacture would be immediately noticeable.
    the same could be said for any electrical product but it would still be an incorrect thing to say. having seen dozens of chargers go faulty while working in the industry i can say for definite that they do indeed break
    The warranty on phones only covers the phone itself and doesn't cover batteries, memory cards or chargers. Three were actually being generous by giving you call credit to the value of the charger.

i don't know where people got this idea. he bought a product that included a phone, a charger, a battery and a memory card and they are all covered by manufacturers warranties. i know some shops try to limit the warranties on things like this but they are 100% wrong to do so. if i bought a charger separately i would expect it to be covered by a warranty and i expect no less if the charger is included with a phone instead of in its own case
    Ok, there are few ways to go about this...

1. 3 Will send you out a replacement charger if you ask.

2. If 3 don't have the replacement charger, they will ask you to buy one in a shop and fax them in a recipt for a charger and refund the money on your account.

3. Drop the charger into when you bought it, they can send it for repair and it'll be exchanged under warranty if it's not void....

As for the shop employee not helping you out as you bought online, can you really blame him...

the problem here is that he doesn't want the money refunded to his account which he technically doesn't have to accept, although as i've said it seems reasonable to me

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sam Vimes wrote: »

the problem here is that he doesn't want the money refunded to his account which he technically doesn't have to accept, although as i've said it seems reasonable to me

your right it's resonable, what's do the other networks do when you buy onlline....any of them send you out a cheque?

your right it's resonable, what's do the other networks do when you buy onlline....any of them send you out a cheque?

i don't have any personal experience of working in a network store but i would say it's your number 3, ie you can go into the store and be given a replacement whether you bought it online or not. it's all the same company after all

Rang again today, seem to be getting somwhere was told this is a exceptional case and if i ring back monday i will be put onto a team leader or supervisior.

Why are they not there on a saturday :S, Customer Service :rolleyes:

Advertisement