Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting.

Options
  • 19-02-2009 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Okay due to some unpleasantness that's been building for quite a while,
    I need to get out of the house I am currently in, asap.

I have never rented before, nor do i know the first thing about renting.
    can anyone tell me where to start?
    and also, my mom tells me it's a bad thing but can someone tell me exactly what is a bedsit?

Im scared of renting because i don't know who i'd potentially be sharing with?

I'd be very thankful for any help offered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

There is a place on Catherine Street couple of doors up from the Citizens information centre that does lettings, they have some good places on offer.

A bedsit is a one room flat which has your bed, your kitchen in it. most of the time you will be sharing a bathroom with other tennants and these can be filthy at times.

your best off looking for something where you have your own bathroom and where the kitchen and bedroom are separate.

house sharing is a somewhat nomadic existance, as a lot of them are owned by people paying off their mortgages, or will likely be sold after a few years, you end up going from house to house to house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 neonheartbeat

I was thinking of just renting a room, because it's all i can afford right now..
    I havent a clue what to do I'm stressed off my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

are you in college, working, what side of the town do you need/want to be close to. Male/female? age?
    Now is a good time to be looking, landlords are crying out for tenants and rents are dropping.
    It sounds like renting a room is your best option. view any place ur interested in twice, and suss out the people you'd be living with. also, take a spin around the area at night to see is it noisy, are the tenants busy with guests etc etc etc.
    daft.ie is the place to search for house shares.
    I rent a room out at the moment, and its going quite well, but u can get good and bad tenants.
    I doubt a lot of people will be selling up these days, so a room share will probably be for as long as you like. Be prepared to have to compromise with who you live with, regarding visitors, tv, noise, clean ups etc etc.
    best of luck with it!!

im in college and work weekends. male 19. non smoker, non pet enthusiast.
    only drink when out with friends. neat freak.

thanks so much for your post!
    very informative, i would never have thought of driving passed in the evening to
    see what the area is like.

where u in college? suss out the bus routes closest to the college, and figure out places all along the route that you could live at. you dont necessarily have to be close to the college if you find a good place near a bus route.
    Was renting for years myself, u pick up the tricks as you go along. If you're a neat freak, mind who you move in with, as it might not be the case with others, and can cause tension!

• Advertisement

limerick senior, so i guess id need a bus that goes to mulgrave street

well a lot of buses from outside town would come in that way also i think, wouldnt they? Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Friends of mine were living in a place not too far from Limerick Senior, just off Gerald Griffin Street. Nice block of apartments. Rent was €800 per month for a 2 bed last year, it's €750 now which I'd say is negotiable...so find another person and find €350 a month and you'd be sorted in a shot.
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=539813&search=1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

ninty9er wrote: »
    Friends of mine were living in a place not too far from Limerick Senior, just off Gerald Griffin Street. Nice block of apartments. Rent was €800 per month for a 2 bed last year, it's €750 now which I'd say is negotiable...so find another person and find €350 a month and you'd be sorted in a shot.
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=539813&search=1

They're tiny tho,you wudnt fit a Micra in the livingroom

jackncoke wrote: »
    They're tiny tho,you wudnt fit a Micra in the livingroom
    ya, you couldnt even get it in the door :pac:

• Advertisement

would getting finance on an apartment be an option?

I'm totally clueless, what would i need in order to qualify for finance?

finance? to buy??? or like rent allowance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Sounds like renting is going to be quite difficult if you are only working weekends. Rooms will be anything from 200-400 a month

Is there no way you can stay at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

I don't know if you've resolved this yet but..

Remember, you'll need to pay one months rent in advance and one months rent as a deposit.

Daft.ie is a very good place to look for flats or house shares. I found my city centre flat through them and am now into my second year living here.

Remember to try and get as much included as possible in the rent. TV license, Bins and in some cases the gas and electricity are included.

It's a renters market at the moment and whatever they advertise as the rent is negotiable. Many people during the boom went buy to let for second properties and are now struggling to pay mortgages on properties they can't sell.

You can now find 3 bedroom houses in places like Dooradoyle for as little as 700 a month. Castletroy can be a bit more expensive due to the university and the need for student accommodation.

Flat hunting is stressful but quite a relief when you find the right place. Good Luck!

Advertisement