Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blueprint for EU army to be agreed Today.

• 19-02-2009 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

A security blueprint charting a path to a European Union army will be agreed by Euro-MPs on Thursday.

The plan, which has influential support in Germany and France, proposes to set up a "Synchronised Armed Forces Europe", or Safe, as a first step towards a true European military force.

Will we be exempt from this or should we look at the small print in Lisbon a little closer?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/4689736/Blueprint-for-EU-army-to-be-agreed.html

eurocorps-badge.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Bring it on I say, at some stage in our species evolution we're gonna have to come together as 1 big happy family.

In the short term of things though I'm of the opinion its always better to be the Blitzkrieg-er than the Blitzkrieg-ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Ireland secured exemptions from this during the negotiations so we don't have to be a part of this initiative which is really just a franco-german one, as opposed to an EU one. Personally though I think us being exempt from it isn't really good enough, at the end of the day we're still a part of the EU and if a militaristic EU isn't what we want then we shouldn't vote for Lisbon just because we wouldn't be a part of this army initiative.

Then again others would argue that other EU countries should be free to form a common EU army if they want. I'm sure there'll be plenty more debate on this anyway in a few months time if not sooner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

the EU was only set up to stop the Germans and French killing each other, so I guess this is logical progression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Delightful stuff.

So when do I get to take part in an invasion? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Will we be exempt from this or should we look at the small print in Lisbon a little closer?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/4689736/Blueprint-for-EU-army-to-be-agreed.html

eurocorps-badge.jpg
    Well they left us off the badge anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Well they left us off the badge anyway!
    Hopefully we will get kicked out of the Union by then, default financial deficit, Lisbon rejection, etc. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

yay im going to join.....where will the main base be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

A European Army has been on the table for as long as I remember...well 1992 at least. I actually got involved with some of the planning for engineer resources in the late 90's but the French and Italian representatives caused big issues at the session.

It would be great for the EU IMO. An Army that could front up to Russia & China without the support of the US is no bad thing. Hell if planned and funded correctly then they could challenge the US. The only problem is that it would never be a effective fighting force with all the political games that the EU play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would like to see what large transport plane they will come develop for mass deployment of troops and equipment. A military variant of the A380?.

Advertisement