Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private v Public v Semi Private in Drogheda

Options
  • 19-02-2009 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there, just found out we're expecting and really our only option is to go public in Drogheda but I've heard so many bad things about the hospital. Is Semi Private even available there? Anyone been there recently that can let me know what it was like. If worse comes to worse we will get the money to go private. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Hi there,

First off - congrats on your pregnancy. Your options in Drogheda are

Private
    Public
    Midwife Led Unit

There's no semi-private option.

If you are eligible for the Midwife Led Unit (low risk - normal pregnancy) you get private care for free. You'll get to know a small team of midwives, labour in a private suite (along with birth pool and pull out bed for hubby) birth in the same suite and can go home early and have midwife visits at home or stay and have your postnatal care in the hospital. Waiting times for appointments are very short too - most mums are seen on time.

It's a fantastic option and there are only 2 in the country. If you decide you want an epidural (the birth pool is fantastic for labour) you'll be brought in to the public labour ward where you'll have your epidural.

Best of luck !

Tracy

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

I gave birth in the Lourdes in 2007, I wanted to give birth in the Midwife Led Unit which, as SanFran07 says seems to be a lovely, natural (ie. NO pain relief except gas & air) option. Unfortunately I went overdue and had to be induced so I was turfed out of the MLU into the public system!

I found the nurses/midwives in the public ward to be mostly great, though it was not the birth experience I hoped for - I found it a bit 'conveyer belt' and the labour ward was horrible but what d'ye expect i suppose (I think many/most maternity hospitals are the same). I was relatively lucky to be on ward with only three beds but still found it impossible to sleep with other babies, a private room would have been heaven... but worth a couple of thousand euro? mmm not sure.

Anyways, I emerged at the end of it all with a healthy baby which is the main thing! I am pregnant again, and all going well I will try for the MLU again (early days yet).

My advice? If you have the money to spare go private. Otherwise, go public, it's a bit rough and ready but as I say the nurses/midwives are good, and hopefully should only be for a few days max until you can bring your little bundle home.

Hi Kaylee,

Things have changed a little since 2007 in the MLU. You now have up to 14 days of going past your EDD before you are moved to the consultant led ward. For pain relief you can have gas/air, pethidine and use the labour pool - if you decide to have the epidural you move to the consultant ward.

Best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

SanFran07 wrote: »
    Hi there,

If you are eligible for the Midwife Led Unit (low risk - normal pregnancy) you get private care for free. You'll get to know a small team of midwives, labour in a private suite (along with birth pool and pull out bed for hubby) birth in the same suite and can go home early and have midwife visits at home or stay and have your postnatal care in the hospital. Waiting times for appointments are very short too - most mums are seen on time.

It's a fantastic option and there are only 2 in the country. If you decide you want an epidural (the birth pool is fantastic for labour) you'll be brought in to the public labour ward where you'll have your epidural.

That sounds absolutely brilliant !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Habitat

Thanks SanFran07 & Kaylee, reassurance was fantastic. I have met with my doctor and am awaiting my confirmation from the hospital. How can I ask to be included on the MLU. Do I need to do it now or should I want until I hear from the hospital? This sounds fantastic and I would really love to be involved.
    Thanks again!

I would ring the MLU yourself and they'll have a chat with you about getting on the scheme then when you go to your booking in appointment at the hospital you can tell them that you want to go to the MLU.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 little ol me

When you go to the hospital for your booking in appointment they'll ask you if you'd like to be considered. Then they'll go through your medical history and find any excuse not to let you on the program. No, just kidding but they are very strict: any potential complications/family history and you're out. I had ticked all the boxes, except for one.....typical :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Habitat

Thanks to everyone who responded, I am definitely more calm now. Thanks for your advise and help!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hiya does anyone know how far along u have to be to still ask to use the mlu. Im very far along and really want to change to the mlu as im hearing more and more about it and wasnt told anything bar i couldnt have pain relief so of course i said no straight away but now i know more and am dying to join it but not sure if am too late along in my pregnancy to do it???

• Advertisement
Advertisement