Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car problem

Options
  • 19-02-2009 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hey everyone just wondering if anyone can give me some advice, i bought a car from naas road motor company 4 months ago. i had problems from day one but i went to a garage today and the mechanic told me that the management lights have been removed and also that the airbags have been blown or removed and the airbag light. i got nowhere when i rang the garage they said the fella that sold me the car is left and the garda said its a civil matter,surely this is illegal?:mad: and is there anything i can do about it . its a 00 vw bora n i paid 4750 euro for it.and i have kids in the car too im disgusted:mad: and does anyone know if that would have been scrapped and resold?should i see a solicitor? if anyone could give me advice id be very grateful, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'd look into getting an outside mechanic to look at it and even give you some sort of report. The airbags are quite important, as far as I recall someone told me about some sort of scam that was going on before, maybe it was a tv program, about people selling airbags, supposed to be worth a fair bit. Also I heard somewhere else about thieves getting into cars by setting the airbags off with a blow to the wheels, these could be stories, but defo something to look into.

When you have an outside report I would firstly take it to the garage and inform them that you will also take it to a solicitor / the gards, either way you should get some come back when you have an experienced mechanic back up your claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Cammy86

Hi, Well for starters having the airbags blown is a safety issue and red ours the car unsafe to drive as when you have a accident the airbags will fail to work. The airbag light is properly just been removed to not enable the light from coming on the dash same as they engine management light. Now I am a bit vary of what they actually did to remove the engine management light because warning lights come on for a reason and if he has just removed the bulb as untrusted mechanics do then you could be running a car with a problem. Did they say what the engine management light was on for? and why they blown the airbags? They can not sell a car unfit for use. I know someone who went to a small claims court as he just brought a vehicle and the turbo went setting him back 700euros. Small claims courts are good, but only cover costs up to 2000euros. Did they give you a warranty on the car? and did you sign sold as seen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Was this same post not over in Motors last week??? If not, someone over there has the exact same problem as you and I posted some advice there to the OP so maybe have a look over there and see how that thread is doing???

I posted on your other thead on this matter in Motor's OP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

amber 22 wrote: »
    the garda said its a civil matter,surely this is illegal?:mad: and is there anything i can do about it

It is illegal, but not criminal, hence the Gardai can't do anything about it. You need to sue the garage for the cost of fixing the car, or to get your money back.

Using the Small Claims Court, your claim cannot exceed 2,000 euro, so if you're going after the full price of the car, you'll need a solicitor. If you get a quote from a couple of garages, on the cost of fixing everything that's wrong with it, and that comes to under 2,000 euro, then you could use the Small Claims Court.

Advertisement