Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Guy

Options
  • 19-02-2009 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else seen the chap that walks around Dublin city centre dressed up in full U.S Army gear (circa ww2)? Its a pretty impresive outfit, seems to have the full set up, its just that he is always in it. He looks like an extra in saving private ryan. Anybody now what the story with him is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Maybe he's a shell shocked extra from Saving private Ryan and doesn't realise the war is over?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Wow, it lasted a full minute on after hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Has anyone else seen the chap that walks around Dublin city centre dressed up in full U.S Army gear (circa ww2)? Its a pretty impresive outfit, seems to have the full set up, its just that he is always in it. He looks like an extra in saving private ryan. Anybody now what the story with him is?

An army guy with equipment suited for the 1940's, you say.

Are u sure he's just not a member of the Irish Defense Forces?

Hazys wrote: »

Im 100% sure, it says U.S army on his outfit. He has the hip flask, backsack, shiny boots, the lot. Mad skinny as well so he is.
    ive always wanted to ask him what the story with the get up is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Hazys wrote: »

Well unless they were using Battlevests, Steyrs, 203's, NVE etc. back in WW2 no he's not a member of the DF :rolleyes:

Yeah I've seen him a few times up by College Green, lord knows why he wears all that gear though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

ive seen him between rathmines and ranelagh a good few times

skinny as hell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Ah I think I know the lad your the lad your talking about. He started with the hat first the slowly added more gear. No soldier or actor, Just a little different. He lives off the Navan Road. Also strolls around wearing WWE belts now and again.

He sure looks convincing. I wander if its all authentic stuff or copys. Its a weird little hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

dancor wrote: »
    strolls around wearing WWE belts now and again.

What a fruitcake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I personally haven't seen him, or heard of him.

But lads, the thread has been moved from AH, so lets not turn it into a slagging match against the lad, ok?.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Mairt wrote: »
    I personally haven't seen him, or heard of him.

But lads, the thread has been moved from AH, so lets not turn it into a slagging match against the lad, ok?.

I just deleted the redirect from AH which might help a little. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

never saw or heard of this guy before... odd :confused:

I wonder what would happen if someone wore a SS uniform around town...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

whiskeyman wrote: »
    never saw or heard of this guy before... odd :confused:

Then we would have to get Harry Hill i the midde of them and shout FIGHT!!!
    Then they run at each other from either side of the room and battle to the death. My money would be on the SS guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

whiskeyman wrote: »

I remember seeing a guy in an outfit not dissimilar to a KKK one on O'Connell Street a couple of years ago carrying a placard. Can't remember the wording but let's just say it wasn't very tolerant. Said it to a mate and he told me he saw him heading towards Moore Street so he probably didn't last too long.

Would love to see this guy from the OP though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

lol,
    I heard about this guy the other night, havent seen him myself but he sounds like a very "interesting" character.

someone should take a photo or something.,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Havent heard of him myself but could he eventually be a Naked Cowboy (NYC) type of Dublin?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

ive seen him between rathmines and ranelagh a good few times

skinny as hell

yeah i seen this guy near ranelagh las weekend as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Yeah, I was just thinking of him.

I assumed he was one of those useless buskers who stand still, leaving for the day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Fair play to him .He could join one of those WW2 renactment units that you see on the web ,with loads of other like wise guys and live out the whole GI role. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭mafiaboy

yeah i know this guy your on about he is from crumlin near the four roads pub, this is a new thing for him its been gonig on for about a year used to see him and his mate walking tru town with there cd player playing one ear pice in his ear and one in his mates ear i think the entyness between there ears would make them hear stereo ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

disssco wrote: »
    What a fruitcake.

We've had our 'fruitcakes' in Dublin before. People like oul Bang Bang who ran around 'shooting' people with the big old key he used as a gun. There was also Damn the Weather who they said was shellshocked during WW1, and he'd come up behind you and shout "Damn the weather!" And of course there was poor oul Forty Coats.

But we didn't think of them as fruitcakes... they were just accepted as the colourful characters that roamed the streets of Dublin and enriched the city... bringing a smile to a face at a time when a smile was needed perhaps.

Good to see ol' Dublin is producing it's harmless street characters still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

On that note,Whatever happened to the lady that used to dance around the O' Connell St median, usually wearing colourful clothes/hats? Haven't seen her in a long time. We used to know her as 'Mad Mary' but I presume that wasn't ACTUALLY her name...

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Ste.phen wrote: »
    On that note,Whatever happened to the lady that used to dance around the O' Connell St median, usually wearing colourful clothes/hats? Haven't seen her in a long time. We used to know her as 'Mad Mary' but I presume that wasn't ACTUALLY her name...

If it was this lady she hasn't been seen for awhile and no one seems to know what happened to her.

holy.jpg

I wonder has anyone got a photo of the army chap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rashers wrote: »
    If it was this lady she hasn't been seen for awhile and no one seems to know what happened to her.

holy.jpg

She was run over by a 13A bus...
    of course I'm only kidding

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Masada wrote: »
    lol,
    I heard about this guy the other night, havent seen him myself but he sounds like a very "interesting" character.

someone should take a photo or something.,

i see him every day going home from college, he always gets on my bus, the 122 outside starbucks... the fact i do photography and always have a dslr on me...really should 'shoot' him

badum-tish

I'll get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Rashers wrote: »

holy.jpg

That's exactly who I was referring to. Haven't seen her in a few years alright.

Advertisement