Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how do you get a hard drive to work with the xbox 360?

• 19-02-2009 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

hey ppl am after getting a Philips 120 GB hard Drive thinking that i could put on movies and music on it and run them through my xbox but when i plug it into the xbox it does not find it. Is there anyway to connect the two together. any help would be great. Thanks :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

You dont. Sorry.

I do this sometimes (not a lot, admmitedly) using a memory stick. I think i had trouble doing it until I got a media update when i first joined xbox live, and then it all started working properly.

I could be wrong, but if you're connected to the net, then you could try accepting the (optional) media update.

Your PC is obviously recognising the hard drive, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Mondo_ie

yeah the hard drive is bang on just not working on the xbox
    i'll try and see if the media is up to date
    i'll let u know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

weepsie's right, the only reason why it doesn't work might be file system. it has to be FAT32. if it is not either backup all data and repartition it or get some application like acronis hdd manager and change it to fat32.
    make sure the xbox is connected to inet, it is needed to download codecs

FAT32 Or HFS+

NTFS is not supported.

I have my external formatted as HFS+ with a program called MacDrive for the pc, which allows the use of apples(HFS +) filesystem in windows.

The benefit of this being that it does not have FAT32s 4GB filesize limit, so i can the watch HD-WMV films which are over 4 GBs generally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

As stated the hard disk must be formatted using the FAT32 filesystem to be "seen" by the xbox, you can format this in "Disk Management" in windows xp/vista, just right click the "My Computer" icon, click manage, choose disk management, then right click the external harddrive and choose Format, then pick the FAT32 filesystem over NTFS, note that formatting will erase all information on the hard drive so do any neccesary backing up first before doing this

Nick

docentore wrote: »

Speaking of which, does anyone know if the 360 can support .MKV files? I have to convert them to AVI if i want to watch them on the 360..?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Speaking of which, does anyone know if the 360 can support .MKV files? I have to convert them to AVI if i want to watch them on the 360..?

Nah, Only AVIs (Divx/Xvid) codecs etc and some more common ones, unfortunately, MKV files don't seem to be considered when choosing formats to support by companies :(.

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

you cant play MKV files directly on the xbox but if you use TVersity then you can stream the files from your laptop/PC to the xbox through your local network....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

docentore wrote: »
    weepsie's right, the only reason why it doesn't work might be file system. it has to be FAT32. if it is not either backup all data and repartition it or get some application like acronis hdd manager and change it to fat32.

Just to add that after I did this Vista didn't recognise the Fat32 partition

Had to go into Disk management and set the Fat32 partition to be active and then I had to mount it in order to be able to move files onto it through explorer

A bit of a faff but it is sorted now

• Advertisement
Advertisement