Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest Spoke

• 19-02-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Why was that page ripped out?

I'm simply dying of curiosity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

I'm a bit curious myself. Perhaps it was because the Canteen Correspondent finally admitted to being responsible for the canteen fire?:D

All in all though, this months issue of The Spoke is a bit of a disaster, more so than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I haven't seen it yet but he's not havin a great year, is he? Check out the RAG week posters, they say 2008 but half of the 8 is tippexed out. The poor person who had that job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Hmm... well the response to a letter complaining about the GLBT's effort to get a GLBT rights officer on the committee is missing, as well as the canteen correspondent.

Then the page about Baby Blue Training (GLBT thing), and the Lion's Club is cut out too... I'm dying to know why too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Youth Defense?

I'm going to blame them for all the mischief on campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Something to do with a member of The Spoke staff being biased about the elections, nothing incredibly scandelous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

John wrote: »
    Youth Defense?

I'm going to blame them for all the mischief on campus.

It's true. Youth Defence stole my helper monkey :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Hand_Of_Steel

Somebody did something that they should have done, and the offending piece had to be removed. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

See my sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

kisaragi wrote: »
    Hmm... well the response to a letter complaining about the GLBT's effort to get a GLBT rights officer on the committee is missing, as well as the canteen correspondent.

Then the page about Baby Blue Training (GLBT thing), and the Lion's Club is cut out too... I'm dying to know why too!

I thought it was something to do with the GLBT thing too. Like maybe the reply was 'Damn straight they shouldn't have a rights officer. They shouldn't even have rights!' Now THAT would be scandalous.

Disclaimer: I don't agree with that. It was just a scandalous example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Aldebaran wrote: »
    All in all though, this months issue of The Spoke is a bit of a disaster, more so than usual.
    I won't even pick it up anymore, surely running it through a spell check couldn't hurt? Also it is alarming the amount of people running for this position who didn't even take the time to run a spell check on their own manifesto...

• Advertisement

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Also it is alarming the amount of people running for this position who didn't even take the time to run a spell check on their own manifesto...
    ARGH it made my eyes bleed. How hard is it?! I was reading my Spoke in my lab (obviously not doing work) and started marking all the spelling mistakes (I didn't want to do work you understand). It made me sad. Perhaps in the pathetic sense too. But really, it's a publication.

I remember a Spoke a while ago where the editor was whinging about people complaining about the spelling. Oh boo hoo. Use a spellcheck and you'd have nothing to whinge about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 bright_eyes

I second that, I dont really like it except the year planner is handy.

Comic sans - the original sin of the amateur.

It should be noted that there was a distinct lack of Comic Sans this issue. I once wrote an article and shuddered when I saw they'd put it in Comic Sans. How rude.

Yup, only 6 out of 28 pages. Just 23% comic sans is the new record for this year's Spoke.

Dear idiot editor: pick a house style and stick to it. Also, learn how to use Adobe inDesign. Also, less of the Gill sans condensed. Also, have regular leading in the body text, don't mix it up like that. It has adverse effects on my blood pressure.

Please God just let me fix the damned thing already.

/Patiently awaits election day

Are you going to also put interesting articles in The Spoke? I guess that's not really the editor's fault. I have noticed that most of the posts on this forum are wittier than most articles in The Spoke.

Actually AFAIK they have to turn away some articles every month.

So yes.

Anyone read Geoff Greene's interview? :)

I love that guy !

It's a funny interview, but I wouldn't vote for someone who's funny for the sake of it. The job requires a lot of ideas and organisation.

He's definitely got the ideas, not sure about the organisation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Anyone think there'll be any hanging around on Monday morning? Never got to get one on Thursday.

Ah yeah, I'd say there'll be plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    Anyone think there'll be any hanging around on Monday morning? Never got to get one on Thursday.

There were tons in the SU on thursday.

Somewhere in the SU there's a bin with 14,000 torn out pages in it.

A paper bin, hopefully.

Probably with Richard Duffy stuffed in upside down, also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

banquo wrote: »
    Probably with Richard Duffy stuffed in upside down, also.
    One can only dream:pac:

Should take a pic of it and make it the next cover. Or make him get all 14,000 pages together and spell out in huge letters I WILL NOT USE COMIC SANS EVER AGAIN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pakblue

Apparently this is what was ripped out of the spoke.
    Letters To The Editor
    Posted February 20th, 2009 by communications
    Issue: Who Will Be Your Next President?
    To the editor -
    I am writing in response to the GLad To Be article in the December issue of The Spoke. They say that one of their major campaigns for the year is the addition of an LGBT Rights Officer onto the Student’s Union Executive next year. I do not understand why this is a Societies issue, when the Union Constitution is an issue for the Constitutional Review Committee to deal with, not a Society. The GLad To Be is a social network for all students, and it is the duty of the elected SU officials to see that the rights of all students are looked after. Issues of discrimination or hate crimes fall under the remit of the college, as those are legal, rather than social issues. If the current officers responsible for handling LGBT Rights issues are not comfortable with that task, then the training they are given needs to be adapted, rather than adding a new position to deal with someone that is covered in at least one Sabbatical Remit. Implying that the officers elected to fulfill those positions are failing to do so is an insult to the Union and the suggested solution is simply introducing a dangerous precedent.
    If every minority group is eligible to have a Rights Officer sitting on the Student Union Exec, the Executive could potentially double in size in the next few years. The LGBT community has no more and no fewer rights than the rest of the student body, and this proposal is setting them above the general population, which is something that undermines the concept of a Rights Officer.
    I urge the members of the Constitutional Review Committee to consider all sides of this issue when voting, and to respect all NUIM students’ rights.
    Sincerely,
    A Concerned Student

http://nuimsu.com/spoke/who-will-be-your-next-president/letters-editor

I have to say I fully agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Why was it ripped out? :confused:

Advertisement