Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest Spoke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

WTF?

I've rarely read a more rational and well put argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Not a moob in sight either. Disappointing given the events of the part week :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

I have no idea what happened in the past week......a recession?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

3 recessions, 2 recoveries and a monkey did a poo. But it was a cute monkey so that one's touch and go on the positive/negative news scale. The Sunday Mirror had a ten page pull out on it though. Possibly for the monkey to wipe its bum with. Who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

That was left in the spoke, it was Duffy attempting to form a feeble argument against this letter that was ripped out, you can see the first few lines of his reply have been black markered. Idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

200px-Redfoxxtott.png

You all had your chance! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

banquo wrote: »
    200px-Redfoxxtott.png

You all had your chance! :D

Huh?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    Huh?:confused:

Bit of the Simpson's episode where Homer becomes in charge of Springfield's waste disposal. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Banquo ran for VP of communications and development, that was him telling us we should have voted him in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

That issue of the spoke and all the others for the rest of the year would've been no different had he been voted in, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Banquo ran for VP of communications and development, that was him telling us we should have voted him in!

I know who Banquo is :P I just didn't get what the Simpsons image meant. I do now;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

348j3g4.jpg

Graphic design.
    Serious business.

PrivateEye wrote: »
    348j3g4.jpg

Graphic design.
    Serious business.

Should have been my campaign poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Alright, thats it.

I'm going on lunch now, over to Pugin via the arts block to pick up a copy of the spoke (hopefully a fresh rack copy, not a solied blue-chairs copy) to read.

Opinions to follow

efla wrote: »
    Alright, thats it.

I'm going on lunch now, over to Pugin via the arts block to pick up a copy of the spoke (hopefully a fresh rack copy, not a solied blue-chairs copy) to read.

Opinions to follow

Bump for great justice.

Whatyathink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

BOOOOOORING!

Bump for great justice.

Whatyathink?

I couldn't find one!

I assumed this wouldn't get any more comments until the next issue, so...I left it alone.

I did have some rather nice fish though, with those yummy thin chips.

Ok, opinions to follow next issue. I'm not a fan anyway.....

A fittingly bad issue to bow out on for the year, and something I'm going to show to all Comms/Devs hopefulls next year and then say "..but nothing like this, ever again- promise?"

Comic Sans, pixelated pictures, 'What ____ Club/Soc Had For Breakfast' spacefiller articles, bad interviews (tragically often with good subjects) ,and the fact there was not a dissenting/questioning voice in the house (the fact the thing has been reduced to a love-in is one of the main problems with it, student journalism CAN have a pair of balls if it wants to) were just some of the problems with it.

I wouldn't show that to a student from UCD, DCU, NUIG, TCD or any university with even a half-decent newspaper. In fact, why is it not a newspaper- it even looks ridicolous.

So, to bid it farewell with another MS Paint job.... (As I'm sure it was itself)
    2qjxbfp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

have yet to pick up a copy for myself, but saw someone using it to dispose of their used teabag earlier in the arts block, so it musn't be anything spectacular. Older boardies, was the Spoke ever any good? I'm in second year and can't really ever remembered being wowed by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Teabag!

have yet to pick up a copy for myself, but saw someone using it to dispose of their used teabag earlier in the arts block, so it musn't be anything spectacular. Older boardies, was the Spoke ever any good? I'm in second year and can't really ever remembered being wowed by it.

I was not disposed of in the spoke today :p

though i was in the arts block today around 4.30 ish,

my advice is dont bother picking it up, its like the daily mail without john waters....

and much much worse....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I wouldn't show that to a student from UCD, DCU, NUIG, TCD or any university with even a half-decent newspaper. In fact, why is it not a newspaper- it even looks ridicolous.

I was in NUIM today (BCFE student) and happened across it. I'd read about it on this forum before so sorta knew what to expect. It didn't disappoint.

Surely a college as huge as NUIM would have people with some kind of writing/layout/news skills? TCD don't have a journalism course either yet their paper is absolutely stellar.

1: Print Thread
    2: Leave outside S.U office
    3: Run

Feedback.

^^The BCFE paper is (not seen one in a while mind) top notch. I do a show up on the radio station up the road so often see copies. Of all the college papers I've seen (Cork, Galway, Belfast, all the Dublin Uni's) The Spoke is the worst.

There is no diversity of opinion in it, its one clique of mates taking the piss and it looks dire. If you can't pirate a copy of Photoshop in 2009 you're an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

^^The BCFE paper is (not seen one in a while mind) top notch.

Aye we've won Small College Publication of the Year twice in a row now! Wait until you see next year's when I'm Design/Layout Ed. :p
    There is no diversity of opinion in it, its one clique of mates taking the piss and it looks dire. If you can't pirate a copy of Photoshop in 2009 you're an idiot.

Totally agree with that. Doesn't seem like they've any direction with it at all. Just a random collection of sloppily written pieces. If they got just one editor who actually knew journalism and someone who can use Quark/InDesign they'd go a long way to a better 'paper' next year. Also while Photoshop isn't the best for producing publications it'd be a damn sight better than Microsoft Word or whatever the hell they're using now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Da Wolf

I 100% aggree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

^^The BCFE paper is (not seen one in a while mind) top notch

The Spoke is the worst.

Pure proud of that, my brother edits the BCFE newspaper.

And yes, the spoke is ridiculously bad, there really isn't anything positive to say about it. The Comic Sans drives me insane, not only that but does the editor think we're blind?! I mean, the font size is HUGE.

I don't know if there is a magazine equivalent of Quark (or maybe you can use Quark for magazines too, I don't know) but if there is then they should be using that to design and lay out The Spoke. The thing looks like it's been put together using Microsoft word and paint.

This edition is also nothing to be particularly proud of. I realise that we don't have a dedicated journalism course but with (probably) around 600 English students as well as media students we should be more than capable to produce half-decent Magazine without too much trouble.

We can, it is shameful. It needs a non-SU soc of enthusiasts (which depends on another set of variables...). Who is / are responsible for the spoke? Oh and yes, it was ****e six years ago. Not on this scale though.

Da Wolf wrote: »
    I 100% aggree.

The fact you only have 1 post makes me wonder if you only joined up to say you think The Spoke is sh/te? Not giving out about that, because I agree completely but that's dedication.

Can't find a single post in defence of the thing either. It'd be a public service next time not to fill a recycling bin with one letters page, but the whole rag instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

I don't know if there is a magazine equivalent of Quark (or maybe you can use Quark for magazines too, I don't know) but if there is then they should be using that to design and lay out The Spoke. The thing looks like it's been put together using Microsoft word and paint.

I know for a fact that the SU have a licence for some version of QuarkXpress, because it was used for the Spoke back in the days when it took a newspaper format. I don't know if they still use it now mind, but at least back then it wasn't quite as ridiculous looking. Not to mention that we had been promised increased frequency this year, but didn't really get it, and certainly not enough to warrant the increased amount of filler

The use - if 'use' is the word and Duffy Duck can use it - Adobe inDesign. Been using it for years myself, wonderful program. Though I've yet to make the leap to v4.

I'd like to meet Terence o' Callaghan to see the smile of satisfaction on his face. I'd bet you could almost smell the ''I told you so'' off him. If I were him I'd call in once a week to R. Duffy and be like ''Hey Richard, how's it going? Hm? Awful? LOLbye"

Edit: @Privateeye, pics are awesome.

• Advertisement

Do people think:

a) newspaper format is the way to go? (Think The Observer, Trinity News) as opposed to the Transition Year Schoolmag look?

b) there is any chance a paper like The Advocate could survive in NUI Maynooth? A proper alternative to The Spoke is needed, but advertising etc. can get in the way costwise.
    ''Hey Richard, how's it going? Hm? Awful? LOLbye"

:D

"i herd you liek crapdesign"

Advertisement