Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from formula to cows milk

Options
  • 19-02-2009 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

We trying to change our daughter from formula to cows milk. The problem is that when she was born she wouldn't take a room temp bottle so we had to give her a hot bottle. But now she won't take the cows milk and we have tried everything.

I was wondering has anyone else experienced this trouble???? Does anyone have any ideas for us to try???
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

With mine I mixed formula with cows milk in increasing quantities until they got used to the taste ie for the first few days maybe 3/4 formula to 1/4 cows milk, increasing to half and half etc. Or start with less if yout think she won't tolerate it.
    Or maybe try cool milk in a cup if you haven't already. She might see it as a different drink so she won't expect it hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

we put a bit of chocolate powder and he drinks it all the time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

littlebug wrote: »
    With mine I mixed formula with cows milk in increasing quantities until they got used to the taste ie for the first few days maybe 3/4 formula to 1/4 cows milk, increasing to half and half etc. Or start with less if yout think she won't tolerate it.
    Or maybe try cool milk in a cup if you haven't already. She might see it as a different drink so she won't expect it hot.

You dont say how old child is. Is it necessary to change from formula at this exact time? Usually we try to advise that cows milk can be given from 12/12 but not written in stone. Some children never get to like cows milk.
    Just try cutting down formula and increasing solids with additional dairy foods including yogart, cheese etc to ensure she gets calcium in her diet. You can also slowley add and hide small amounts of milk in all sorts of foods. EG mashed potatoe with milk and butter (not marg or low fat anything until age 2 years.

It's Very dangerous practice adding ANYTHING to formula. Never never do this. Formula is artifical feed = chemical = designed to mimic human food.
    Add anything and the chemical compound is changed.
    This was the cause of infant deaths in the 1950s-60s.
    Nowdays people are much more educated and understand not to do this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

We also added increasing quantities of cows milk to the formula over the course of 3 or 4 days. If the baby is used to a heated bottle then don't change that, we still heat our childs bottle past room temperature.

Billiejo wrote: »
    You dont say how old child is. Is it necessary to change from formula at this exact time? Usually we try to advise that cows milk can be given from 12/12 but not written in stone. Some children never get to like cows milk.
    Just try cutting down formula and increasing solids with additional dairy foods including yogart, cheese etc to ensure she gets calcium in her diet. You can also slowley add and hide small amounts of milk in all sorts of foods. EG mashed potatoe with milk and butter (not marg or low fat anything until age 2 years.

It's Very dangerous practice adding ANYTHING to formula. Never never do this. Formula is artifical feed = chemical = designed to mimic human food.

Well you learn something everyday. This is common practice.
    Yes my children were both a year old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭kaa

yes my child is over one. she is 14months. plus back in the 1950s - 60s they didnt have the technology we have so. im not adding it to formula. plus my doctor told me i could wean her any way i see fit. and plus why would you wait till they are 2 to add milk to their diet when others say one??

apologies for giving bad advice there..:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭kaa

littlebug wrote: »
    apologies for giving bad advice there..:o

it's ok. she finally is drinking abit out of her cup but she still prefers the cows milk out of a old small coke bottle with a straw. i just punched a whole on the top so i can put the straw in.

thanks for the advice anyway.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Usually we try to advise that cows milk can be given from 12/12 but not written in stone.

Who exactly is the "we" you are referring to?
    billiejo wrote:

Can you back any of this up with research findings, data? I'd rather you would than just say stuff like this speculatively.

The formula of the 1950's and 60's is a world away from the formula today. Modern baby formula is derived from cows milk, with additives and nutrients added (or in the cases of proteins and some salts, taken away and/or processed to make them more digestable) to make it suitable for a growing baby. How on earth could adding cows milk to a cows milk derivative change the compound to such a degree that it would kill children?

Again, I'd rather you had something to back this up. Otherwise, it's misinformation at best and scaremongering at worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tadgh12

Our son is one and we are changing from formula to cows milk. Are you meant to water down the cows milk or just give full fat cows milk and if so how much cows milk is he meant to get a day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Full fat cows milk, and just replace the drinks of milk he is having with it.
    How many bottles/cups of milk is he having atm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tadgh12

Thaedydal we wer giving him an 8 oz btl in the morning and an 8 oz btl at night - 5 oz full fat milk and 3 oz water and during the day he would drink water.

Advertisement