Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noob Ubuntu problem

• 19-02-2009 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭

Finally got decided to spend some time getting to grips with a new OS. I deleted the lower taskbar, and now when I minimise stuff I cant get it back :o Tried creating a new panel, but it doesn't solve the problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Have you still got the top panel. Right-clicking on that and selecting New Panel ought to do it. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Have you still got the top panel. Right-clicking on that and selecting New Panel ought to do it. :confused:

That just creates a new, blank panel and when i open say firefox and minimise it, I cant reopen it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

happened me yesterday in kubuntu, couldn't figure out how to do it, i could get a new panel but it didn't have all the icons, i reinstalled, as i had only installed the day before, sorry cant be of more help, but ya its a silly problem that's not easily fixed, even when you do, do the obvious things like right click new panel :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Using Xfce on Xubuntu, though I'm sure the proceedure is similar for yous..

Right click on the blank panel.
    A Menu should popup.
    Click "Add new item"
    A list of available plugins should appear
    You're looking for something along the lines of 'Icon Box' or 'Task List'
    Select it and click 'Add'.
    Bob's your uncle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

thanks for that,
    is there a way to save your session state, settings, a restore point like in windows, and do system restore if you mess up ? kubuntu 8.10 kde4.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

when you right click on the new blank panel, select "add to panel". In the popup, select "window list". That's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Bah, too late. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Saving a session state is simple enough. I know Xubuntu gives an option to save your session state on shutdown. What this means, is that when you reboot and login, any running programs which were still running when you shut down will start again.

A full system restore, I'm less sure about. I've never used that Windows feature.... it's never worked properly for me. If I've ever gotten to the point where I need a system restore, it's usually better to just nuke and install from fresh. Usually though, *buntu systems are reasonably reliable. Any system I've had has only broken when I start mucking around in places I should know better.

Even then, I've been able to fix anything I've broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

ALT+Tab didnt work?

Advertisement