Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oblivion vs Fallout 3? The debate...!

• 19-02-2009 11:18pm

Well,
    As regular boardsies will attest, I'm a BIG lover of Oblivion.

At the moment, I'm about 40 hours into Fallout, a couple of quests under my belt, and just taking it easy. Absolutely LOVING it!

So which is better?

So far, IMHO, Oblivion, by a very (very) thin margin.

But it's a close call! :)

What does everybody else think???

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ive never played Oblivion Im afraid. However I reckon Fallout 3 is one of the best games Ive played ever. :)

[off topic]Do you play Kingdom Game by any chance? [/off topic]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Could never get into Oblivion. I tried to get into it a few times, but it never clicked with me.

Love Fallout 3, just beat it the yesterday and loved it from start to finish. Will have to go back and finish the optional quests I didn't finish, but the Game is nothing short of excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

both excellent games but oblivion has much more going on in it, fall out 3 far too easy and quick to complete.At least in oblivion you have all the guild missions and stuff plus all the add on games and a horsie too.Loved fallout though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I prefer Fallout a lot more. I didn't really like the Oblivion battle system. It was very clunky. The Fallout one is much better with the VATS system. The atmosphere is also a lot better. The whole apocalyptic world is much more interesting than the childish fantasy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Macker14717

there both crap fps all the way

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

big fan of RPG for decades, but couldnt get into either. Both seemed boring and Fable 2 kicked both their asses for grabbing your attention and not letting go.

Sorry, I really tried with both and both are good but nothing more then that imho.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    big fan of RPG for decades, but couldnt get into either. Both seemed boring and Fable 2 kicked both their asses for grabbing your attention and not letting go.

Sorry, I really tried with both and both are good but nothing more then that imho.

DeV.

Funnily enough I'm the opposite - though I really did enjoy Fable 2, in fact more than I thought I would. The only reason I haven't played it in a while was my Xbox RROD'ing.

However I was never able to immerse myself in it the way I did Oblivion - for want of better words "make it mine" (for example, the customisation of your homes / wizard's tower, Deepscorn Hollow, etc.).

One thing that made Oblivion special though, was the little details (the suicidal troll, etc.) that you can just come across. Haven't seen anything like this in Fallout yet, though I'm hoping I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Funnily enough I'm the opposite - though I really did enjoy Fable 2, in fact more than I thought I would. The only reason I haven't played it in a while was my Xbox RROD'ing.

However I was never able to immerse myself in it the way I did Oblivion - for want of better words "make it mine" (for example, the customisation of your homes / wizard's tower, Deepscorn Hollow, etc.).

One thing that made Oblivion special though, was the little details (the suicidal troll, etc.) that you can just come across. Haven't seen anything like this in Fallout yet, though I'm hoping I will.

You come across the crashed UFO yet?

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    You come across the crashed UFO yet?

No, but I'll keep a sharp eye out! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I'm not usually a fan of orcs and slaying ye olde creatures but I must admit oblivion lasted me (with add on) over 100 hours. It was so addictive, a real joy to play.

I liked fallout but too easy, story boring, combat just not quite right... I dunno it just was missing the spark of magic for me tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

there both crap fps all the way

They're not aiming to be a FPS. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Out of everyone I've spoken to, those that loved F3 hated Oblivion, and vice versa.

I just could take to F3 at all , nothing about it hooked me.

However I played Oblivion to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I've played both extensively and pretty much completed not only the
    main quests but also all the side quests in both. To do this in Oblivion
    took me nearly 6 months compared to 2 months in Fallout 3, Fallout 3
    is a much shorter game and I can't help feel they kept content out of
    the main Fallout 3 game just so they could sell more DLC.

Oblivion had much more room for indepth gameplay, you could spend
    ages customising potions/weapons/items/spells. The various guilds
    added a serious number of additional gameplay.

I actually like the VATS system and wouldn't mind if they had it in future
    Oblivion type games.

As for Fable II, I found it too simple. I started it before Fallout3 and have yet to finish it - I'm about 75% through.

I'd rate both Oblivion and KOTOR above Fallout 3, but I preferred
    Fallout 3 to Fable 2, Mass Effect or Jade Empire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Christ I find it very hard to compare because they are both such different games at the end of the day. I loved both of them because I adore fantasy and I adore sci fi so it was pretty much win win for me! :D
    the suicidal troll

Ah so you are yet to meet Mr. Lopez in rivet city? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

i love F3, and oblivion will be an essential purchase based on what i've heard. i'm back playing it again after foolishly following the main quest through (most of the time) and finishing it on level 13. i missed out on over half the map!

Asmodean wrote: »
    Ah so you are yet to meet Mr. Lopez in rivet city? :D

Yep, but no funny note, he just moaned a little and I ignored him! :)

i love F3, and oblivion will be an essential purchase based on what i've heard. i'm back playing it again after foolishly following the main quest through (most of the time) and finishing it on level 13. i missed out on over half the map!

Oh, I would recommend both! Oblivion you'll hopefully love, and as for Fallout, part of the beauty of the game is wandering about making your own adventure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Oblivion - swords and magic
    Fallout - guns and nukes

but for one thing i dont think u can limit the debate to jsut those 2 as ild put these 2 down here as good in their own way...

Fable 2
    Mass Effect

Ild go with Oblivion and Mass Effect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Fallout 3 wins it for me.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I loved Mass Effect, I even liked the "another, different coloured planet but essentially the same thing" bits of it because while it was filler.... I WANTED more of the game and I was happy enough getting that much.

For me the camera work on M.E. was astonishing, things like the deliberate out of focus for a split second effect were used really well (and now are being abused like the Matrix bullet-time).

It was a flawed masterpiece but still, a great great game imho.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Macker14717

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    They're not aiming to be a FPS. :rolleyes:

yeah i know that bud what im sayin is that fps are way better than that crap on a stick

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Mass Effect was good while it lasted, but the side missions were copy/past rubbish.
    Thats where Oblivion/Fallout 3 did well. The side missions were far more involving, detailed and fun than their main quests.

I got fed up of Oblivion in the end but Fallout 3 really engrossed me throughout tho I felt cheated when it ended so abruply as I thought I was tking my time with the main quest.

I'll definately play Fallout 3 again. I would think twice before reinstalling Oblivion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

DeVore wrote: »
    I loved Mass Effect, I even liked the "another, different coloured planet but essentially the same thing" bits of it because while it was filler.... I WANTED more of the game and I was happy enough getting that much.

For me the camera work on M.E. was astonishing, things like the deliberate out of focus for a split second effect were used really well (and now are being abused like the Matrix bullet-time).

It was a flawed masterpiece but still, a great great game imho.

DeV.

Speaking off, what make you off this excellent teaser ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

yeah i know that bud what im sayin is that fps are way better than that crap on a stick

Yeah FPS are good, but we're talking about RPG's here not FPS.

Personally it has to be Fallout 3. I loved Oblviion and it stole hours & hours of my life, but I couldn't help wishing numerous times throughout it that I had a gun of some sort. Fallout 3 fulfilled that wish, and is easily one of the best games I've played in about 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

would we be having this debate if fallout 3 and oblivion were not from the same company?

for me though I loved both in their own way and both for their longevity and how i was hooked to then from hour 1 of play many a late night spent on both. I could see why some dont like them though at the end of the day its down to personal taste isnt it.

Loved mass effect even though i only got just over a week out of it and that was with 2 play throughs.

I see DeV is still singing Fable 2's praises must give this another go only played it for a few hours before moving on to something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Yea the whole same but different planets were crap! but the main storyline is waay better than the oblivion story line.. while the side quests and all are bit weak in comparison i do think that for a a fully engrossed main+side questage thats were fable comes into it!!

or can play mind**** nonsene like tekken!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 0isin

hi i have got both games and think that fallout 3 is a shorter game than oblivion but has slightly more to do,thats my opinion anyway.Oblivion is a bigger game and has a lot of hidden glitches.So keep your eyes open!:eek:

Hi sorry to bother you i was just wondering how to start a debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

0isin wrote: »
    Hi sorry to bother you i was just wondering how to start a debate

start a new thread and set the question

• Advertisement

thanks!

Advertisement