Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pack a Rucksack and see how far i can walk?

• 19-02-2009 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Anybody else tempted to do this , every now and then i get the urge to pack a rucksack and see how far around the world i can walk, im caught in the middle of an apprenticeship right now so cant just pick up and leave but the journey is calling!!
    Just pack a bag walk east get ferry to france walk east/south east and keep goin for as long as i can !!! Am i the only one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Patrickisperfec

I think of doing it all the time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Anybody else tempted to do this , every now and then i get the urge to pack a rucksack and see how far around the world i can walk, im caught in the middle of an apprenticeship right now so cant just pick up and leave but the journey is calling!!
    Just pack a bag walk east get ferry to france walk east/south east and keep goin for as long as i can !!! Am i the only one?

Well you'll get around 40 miles before your feet turn into two giant blisters. I'd take your time! And walking on highways/roads will get very, very boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Valmont wrote: »
    Well you'll get around 40 miles before your feet turn into two giant blisters. I'd take your time! And walking on highways/roads will get very, very boring.

My feet are battle hardened at this stage , so i can handle any blisters that do occur .
    Id stick to smaller roads as much as possible id try to avoid highways or major routes as much as i could , i think youd miss everthing if you just walked the major routes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

My feet are battle hardened at this stage , so i can handle any blisters that do occur .
    Id stick to smaller roads as much as possible id try to avoid highways or major routes as much as i could , i think youd miss everthing if you just walked the major routes

Well as long as you have some good boots and make sure to go off the beaten road I'm sure it'll be amazing. Not that I've ever done anything like that though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Valmont wrote: »
    Well as long as you have some good boots and make sure to go off the beaten road I'm sure it'll be amazing. Not that I've ever done anything like that though!

Has anyone??!!

• Advertisement

darrenh wrote: »
    Has anyone??!!

ya check this out its really cool
    http://home.earthlink.net/~earthwalker1/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Why not, if you are bored and open minded then it sounds like a super idea. Maybe try a variation on it, google 'Experimental travel' and see what you can come up with. Like walking out your front door, take your first left, first right, first left and so on. Don't do this on planes or boats:pac:

Otherwise if you want a long walk but still want to see your apprenticeship out then buy Bill Bryson's excellent book 'A Walk in the Woods'. It might inspire you to get into training then go and actually walk the Appalachian Trail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I think it would suck tbh. Unless it was in the wild of course.

well to be honest doing it in the wild wouldnt be an option for most people unless you take the time to go away and learn survival and hunting skills , i think the film into the wild is a good example of how people think i will go and live on my own for the year. whereas the reality is a lot of people wouldnt have the basic skills to survive very long. If you have seen into the wild you might not know that the river he couldnt cross to get back actually had a pulley system to cross half a mile up stream but because he didnt bother getting a map he didnt know about it and died !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Just back from rtw trip but already planning more! I'm definitely doing this as soon as I possible:

Around Dhaulagiri

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sammyv

'Into the Wild'...good film, very sad ending. Just be careful, whatever you decide to do!!

Advertisement