Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long Term Travel - Camera, Lens, Storage and the rest

• 19-02-2009 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,651 ✭✭✭✭

So, finally got visa and flights sorted. And in less than 3 weeks im off to Oz. Length of trip unknown, but lets say 1-2 years.

I have no job or accomadation sorted and i'll most likely be travelling alot.
    Ideally, i'd being all my photo gear, external hard-drive and a laptop. But as i'll likely be staying in various hostels at multiple points as I travel about, i'm worried about security. I'm looking for advice from somebody that bit of done similar before.

I have an 400D, and i'll bring the 18-55 and the 50mm prime. Trying to keep weight down so the 70-300 is first dropped if it comes to it. Now, I'm pretty sure the camera is coming along, but if it won't work i'll ditch it for a compact

I'm not sure, but i think its a bit pointless bringing the laptop, it won't be safe and its an extra few kilos in the way. Main problem here is that I'll fill a CF card quick enough, so options are to bring a few cf cards and that be it, or an external HD. Thoughts, advice etc
    (location suggestions too, sure why not :D)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Couple of CF cards aren't going to last you two years! Even bringing a HD, you'll still need a laptop. Surely you don't want to come back with two years worth of totally unprocessed photos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

oh how i remember spending many hours pondering the same thoughts....

You should be fine with what you have...I had far more when I started off - (Computrekker) fully loaded with Laptop, 5D + around 7 lenses and 580ex flash...I even spent 2 months in Thailand with all my gear...In Australia though, its far easier especially once you get transport...Havent been near a hostel though so cant really comment on the security of them...

Saying that though I have sold most of my lenses and went through a variety of bags and still have to settle on the correct one...I am using the time now to prepare for heading on an extended trip through Asia and will probably just stick to camera + 50mm + 17-40 + 70-200f4...The key is to not try to get a bag that fits everything...

I am going to downsize my bag again (from the smallest slingshot to something smaller) and I keep the lenses I am not using separate...as well as having just an ordinary laptop/backpack that can fit the laptop + whatever else - that way I can pawn it off on my girlfriend when needs be :) like flights and stuff

A laptop is a definite but one that is functional but not that you will care about getting stolen/broken etc...as is an external hard drive for keeping separate and storing back ups...There is no way you want to be storing images for sorting out at the end of the trip...you need to keep on top of them as you go or they become way too much

All in all I would go for a good wide anlge + something with good length (you will definitely need it) - I regret everyday selling my 24-70 but it was just far too big and heavy + I used it all the time so I had to have a bag that would fit it while on the camera...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,651 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just to be clear, this isn't a photography trip. Looking for work will be a decent chunk of time, as will general meeting friend from home, parties etc. But obvious, i'd be mad not to take in the sights as best i can

Weight limits are recently down, I must weigh all my stuff to get a figure, but it would be a decent chunk of my 23kg allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

If you are going to rent/buy a car when you're travelling around (and I recommend you do) then hostel security isn't an issue, you can leave stuff in the boot of the car without worrying too much. If you're settled in one place to work, I imagine you'll be renting somewhere that's secure too. So I'd say bring everything you have, especially the laptop. You'll want it not just for photos on a trip of that length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Just to be clear, this isn't a photography trip. Looking for work will be a decent chunk of time, as will general meeting friend from home, parties etc. But obvious, i'd be mad not to take in the sights as best i can

Weight limits are recently down, I must weigh all my stuff to get a figure, but it would be a decent chunk of my 23kg allowed.

Whats a photography trip? Some weird drug? - i think its obvious that unless you worked for Nat Geo or something that photography wont be the main focus but what has looking for work, meeting friends etc got to do with advice about bringing camera gear with you?

Will you not be bringing your camera gear as carry on so no real worry about the weight (I have yet to have any carry on weighed by any airline no matter what the weight limit is)

By the way good luck with the job hunting when you get here...its naerly as bad as home just a few months behind...

and also, id definitely second getting a car or even better a van - place is far too big without one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

In all honesty if i was going away for a duration of 6 months or longer then the laptop would be coming with me, no doubt about it.

You take photographs in your every day life in Ireland, and enjoy that enough to proccess them, post them on here and talk about them, and photography in general...why would that stop when your exploring a new continent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

I'm currently pondering the same questions

Just bought a Lowepro Fastpack 350 for my needs, hopefully this covers camera, laptop, external hard drives and the other odds and sods.

Was thinking of bring 40d body, 10-22mm, 24-70mm and then either 70-200mm f2.8 or depending on weight, Sigma 18-200mm

Then chargers, batteries, some filters, two Western Digital passport drives and an Asus EEE laptop(no good for processing but ok for organising).

Also recently acquired a Gitzo 1540t traveller tripod - ridiculously compact and light, this is perfect for travelling. Will stay in main backpack without being noticed.

Just have to be vigilant then to keep it all safe....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Am I the only one who thinks getting the battery grip for the 400D qwould be a great idea for the OP as that way he could easily use standard AA batterys with his camera if he didn't get the chance to charge his canon batteries :)

I know I find it extremely useful!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Be careful with those Australians. Nasty unsophisticated people. They are decended from convicts you know.

It is a real dilemma of how to take good gear & travel light as well. The Laptop is probably essential as you will want to do some PP on the move, but it can also be a hassle as it's an easily stolen item. I think that most of the Hostels will have secure storage available.

I would get a couple of USB Powered HDD for storage. Load your RAW data on it as well as the laptop & keep them as seperate as possible (incase the laptop gets nicked). When the Drive is getting full post it back to someone at home. Make sure it's arrived safely before deleting from the laptop.

Do you plan on being "on the wallaby" for the whole two years?

CabanSail wrote: »
    I would get a couple of USB Powered HDD for storage. Load your RAW data on it as well as the laptop & keep them as seperate as possible (incase the laptop gets nicked). When the Drive is getting full post it back to someone at home. Make sure it's arrived safely before deleting from the laptop.

Do you plan on being "on the wallaby" for the whole two years?

Bringing my WD 250gb, I tend to delete as I go, so i won't fill it too quick.

As for being on the wallaby, I don't plan to, but i have no idea what is coming, the last 6 months my life has pretty much been turned upside down, so i have no idea what the next 24 will contain.

If I knew I would be sorted after a certain number of months, I'd have the laptop shiped over then, or bring it (depend on how many months). But I really don't want to spend an extended perioid of time with it unsecure. Hostels are as safe as people have made out. Friends have had cameras and phones taken.

• Advertisement

Hostels are as safe as people have made out. Friends have had cameras and phones taken.

Hostels are as safe as you make them dude, i have stayed in hostels very often over the years and have never had any problems.
    It's easy to blame the hostel when things go missing, i would suggest that most of the time if you leave something like a laptop, camera etc lying around in ANY situation there is a good chance of it being nicked.

You have to take responsibility for security.

Most Hostels offer secure holding or safeboxes for these kind of things, use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Just a quick note on the hostel here (since I can't contribute to the equip nifty fifty take alongs, no clue about that)

I was in OZ, stayed in hostels most of the time, never had anything stolen. Notheless, a mate of mine had his Canon SRL, tripod, lenses & laptop "dissapearing" from the safe box @ the hostel... He was gutted!

I'd agree with keeping it in the boot, or just close to you. My 'valuables' were either near me, under the bed in a bag with a padlock or stashed away in a closet behind a pile of clothes... :o Just make sure you don't "show off" your gear to prominently.

Also, if you stay in a hostel for a bit longer, you can find out for yourself how safe or unsafe it is, that's my experience.

Eirebear wrote: »
    You have to take responsibility for security.

Most Hostels offer secure holding or safeboxes for these kind of things, use them.
    Thats were that went missing from.

Mellor wrote: »
    Thats were that went missing from.

Fair enough, i'm only speaking from experience etc etc.

i think people freak themselves out a little too much about security etc. 99% of the time common sense is the best security you can have.

Advertisement