Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB Install

• 20-02-2009 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I want to try out a few different distros. Non ubuntu based ones to be exact. I'm having trouble getting a few of them to install via USB though. :(

I've tried openSUSE, Debian and Gentoo - I'm getting nowhere. I've tried using unetbootin as well as this for Gentoo.

I don't have optical drives installed as it's just used as a media server so that's why I was opting for a USB install. I fail, I know. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I found unetbootin to be a bit cranky sometimes. I run it as root and it usually works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I've managed to get them onto the USB, it's just after that they fail (I fail ;)) .

Gentoo asks for a partition and the only one available is that of the USB drive. Tried fdisk but not there so not sure what to do.

openSUSE won't go far as there's no CD drives.

Debian also looks for cd drives.

:( Newb needs help pl0x!

Oh sorry - misunderstood. I've actually only tried bunty variations. Doesn't Suse have a native usb boot creator like Ubuntu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I found Slax very easy to set up in a USB:

http://www.slax.org/

It's very impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Knoppix works fairly well on a USB too.

Advertisement