Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Golden Circle" - should they be named?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think we need to ask the question of why our government are working so hard to protect these peoples identities.

The public have a right to know since we bailed these people out.

If nothing stops the government releasing the names and they don't release them then it basically implies there is a benefit to them in not doing so unless they can give another valid reason for not releasing them which they have so far not done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Where's a good whistleblower when you need one?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Where's a good whistleblower when you need one?

Being paid off and selling his whistle in this country it seems.

thebman wrote: »
    Being paid off and selling his whistle in this country it seems.

There's bound to be at least one person who doesn't get paid enough to keep his mouth shut and is weighing up the repercussions of spilling the beans. With huge amounts of money at stake, life is cheap for a desperate entrepreneur.

I don't know why they are being called the golden circle since the object of the exercise was to put them in debt by circa 45 million each to buy shares that could rise or fall.

More like stupid circle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

... the object of the exercise was to put them in debt by circa 45 million each ....

Was it now?

Are they in debt?

Are they going to repay the money?

That's not the impression I'm getting ...it'll be you and me buddy.

Different story, had the shares risen ...but they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

My understanding of the 10 buying the shares is that, the actual collateral for the 10 was the very shares that they were about to buy. So if the share price collapsed then the collateral was zero. Sound economics or what? So now 300 million of that debt will be written off. Its like there was no risk to the 10 at all and almost as if they knew that they would be saved?

I doubt if the 15 customers with loans of 500 or so million each will ever have to pay back the money, as it will probably be swallowed up by the taxpayers. As each day goes by its like a toxic bank that allowed the big developers to get the bail outs in the form of loans months before the banks en masse were bailed out. It makes the Mafia look respectable, perhaps the Mafia are looking in and see Ireland as a place to do business? It all fits into place it was to rescue the infamous 15 and FF above the good of the nation IMO.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    My understanding of the 10 buying the shares is that, the actual collateral for the 10 was the very shares that they were about to buy. So if the share price collapsed then the collateral was zero. Sound economics or what? So now 300 million of that debt will be written off. Its like there was no risk to the 10 at all and almost as if they knew that they would be saved?

I doubt if the 15 customers with loans of 500 or so million each will ever have to pay back the money, as it will probably be swallowed up by the taxpayers. As each day goes by its like a toxic bank that allowed the big developers to get the bail outs in the form of loans months before the banks en masse were bailed out. It makes the Mafia look respectable, perhaps the Mafia are looking in and see Ireland as a place to do business? It all fits into place it was to rescue the infamous 15 and FF above the good of the nation IMO.

Didn't the latest report say that the bank's shortfall would be about 12 billion by October? If this figure is correct, then the 300 million is chicken-feed.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Didn't the latest report say that the bank's shortfall would be about 12 billion by October? If this figure is correct, then the 300 million is chicken-feed.

Not really the point though is it.

Why is the taxpayer expected to foot the bill for dodgy deals? We shouldn't be. These loans should be outside the guarantee.

Not really the point though is it.

Why is the taxpayer expected to foot the bill for dodgy deals? We shouldn't be. These loans should be outside the guarantee.

I agree entirely that the tax-payer should not have to foot the bill for any of the uber-dodgy crap that's been going on.

My point is that it's going to get a hell of a lot worse in the not too distant future - and I can't see how the tax-payer can afford to lash out any more money on Anglo's pear-shaped business.

If it were not for the "anonymous" high-profile people involved, the bank would have been allowed to fade into the oblivion which it deserved. The rest of the financial world looked on with open mouths when the government decided to "rescue" it, this having a knock-on effect with regard to AIB/BOI shares, and the financial reputation of Ireland as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I wonder are FF still happy to trot out the lie that the reason the banking bailout was required was because of global issues ?

Obviously, we shouldn't have to bail out Anglo AT ALL, since their situation was of their own self-inflicted crap and dubious shenannigans.....

But of course, in FF's usual shortsighted way, there was no caveat on the bailout.......even if Anglo's demise had been due to murder or something I reckong FF would still bail it out.....

WBankers!

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    But of course, in FF's usual shortsighted way, there was no caveat on the bailout.......

I honestly don't think Fianna Fail are that short sighted...

Corrupt - Yes
    Dodgy - Yes
    Don't give a **** about anyone but their rich buddies - Yes

But nobody is that stupid. These are educated people - Who knew full well what they were getting us into.. Who have just taken advantage of us, big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 xniamhx

Bertie's bankers are really coming back to haunt everyone now, and I love how he isnt around to be taking any of the flack he so rightly deserves.

The government should have seized the passports of these men and not allowed them to leave the country,throwing them in jail for economic treason!

Prudent people, like my grandmother for example who has worked hard all her life, has lost over €150,000 in Irish Life because of these greedy disgusting low life bastards, and she currently has no idea whether she should leave or take out whats left.

Fitzpatrick should be extradited back to Ireland and left to rot in a cell for the rest of his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

I think we need to ask the question of why our government are working so hard to protect these peoples identities.

The public have a right to know since we bailed these people out.

If nothing stops the government releasing the names and they don't release them then it basically implies there is a benefit to them in not doing so unless they can give another valid reason for not releasing them which they have so far not done.

You dont know how close you are to the truth with this comment. Thats all i can say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Fianna Fail will still get in next time. Look at those knuckle-dragging tards nice people in North Tipperary who keep voting in Lowry.

Lowry is fine Gael, and these kind of shanigans - what Lowry got up I dont even remember - are in the half-penny place compared to the bankers, etc. People in Tipperary probably feel they needed some of the action, most of which goes to Dublin 4 types running banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

They should be named in the obituary columns.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

deadhead13 wrote: »
    I wonder how many of them have been to ff's infamous galway races tent.

Allegedly one of the Golden boyz is a personal & close friend of an An Taoiseach (I did'nt say which one!) & could be a large building contractor from the County of Galway.
    ALLEGEDLY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

That's only 4 of the 10. :D Does not name my man!

Is it McNamara Tom Texas? At least tell us what is rhymes with :P

Or PM me if I'm right :)

• Advertisement

He could be on the list - I don't honestly know.

But as for whom I'm on about.....think FF!

Sorry, the first 3 or 4 letters of the surname rhyme with bat!
    Now figure it out.:P
    (Jaysus I will have some egg non me face if this alleged person is not on the list!)

Advertisement