Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of installing granite window sills.

• 20-02-2009 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Looking for feedback.

Is there a difference cost wise in fitting granite sills as oppose to concrete sills?
    Builder is stating that 15" window cills are charged at a daily rate whereas 9" concrete sills are charged at an hourly rate. This he claims is due to the weight of the sills, however the fitters never lift the sills as they have a devise to lift them.
    Suppliers of sills claims this is nonsense.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 cilldara34

I agree it should be built in to the price of doing the blocks. No difference in the instalation apart from the weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

cilldara34 wrote: »
    I agree it should be built in to the price of doing the blocks. No difference in the instalation apart from the weight

+1 should be no different. I know installing granite cills wasnt an issue with the builder when we were building our house. It was in the price. If i had of installed gold cills it would of made no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

dlambirl wrote: »
    +1 should be no different. I know installing granite cills wasnt an issue with the builder when we were building our house. It was in the price. If i had of installed gold cills it would of made no difference.

Actually it would, gold would expand and contract more than concrete and would result in cracking of the plaster around the cill and possible water ingress.

The cost issue depends on the contract, is it a fixed price contract?
    If it is an extra then it gives the builder an excuse to charge what he wants (within reason). It actually sounds like he might have concrete ones ordered and not want to put in the granite ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

How much do the actual granite cills cost? Where can they be bought? At a regular builders providers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

There are loads of suppliers in Ireland..google and you will find any of the crowds that sell natural stone etc for house will also sell these...you wouldn't typically find them in local hardware or Building suppliers though....

• Advertisement

OK Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 secionn

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.
    The Contract was for the inclusion of supplying and fitting concrete sills. They asked me to look at some granite window cills, and I liked them. I knew there was a price difference between the supply of both products and I was happy to pay the difference. I was not told that there was a cost difference in fitting them. The granite sills have been fitted now and I have been given a bill of €1400 extra for fitting. I was told this was due to the weight of the sills, and fitting concrete sills is charged at an hourly rate but the cost of fitting granite sills is on a daily rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭wardwil

This is abosolute nonsense. Tell him that you will get another builder. The cills themselves are no difference to install. You have to put your foot down as this man is walking over you saying something like that!

Ask him how many other jobs has he for the rest of the year in a nice way to enlighten him how tight things are out there and if he still persists with over charging you, tell him to get of the site!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

I've recently swapped concrete cills with granite in my build.
    Builder just charging diff in cost of concrete vs granite.

-Coley.

coley wrote: »
    I've recently swapped concrete cills with granite in my build.
    Builder just charging diff in cost of concrete vs granite.

-Coley.

How much were your granite cills i.e. how much for one cill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

I'd have to check - anyway per cill doesn't make sense as they would be different lengths - I'll see if I can dig out the /ft or /m diff.

-Coley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

coley wrote: »
    I'd have to check - anyway per cill doesn't make sense as they would be different lengths - I'll see if I can dig out the /ft or /m diff.-Coley.

Thats correct. Lintol and cills are sold per linear length either "per foot" or "per metre" length.

It doesn't matter if its concrete or granite its sold "per foot" or "per metre" length. The OP's builder is extracting the fluid. :D

Wardwil has given very good advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Granite cill costings recently obtained were:

15 inch 65/Lm
    9 inch 55/Lm

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭fuchia

I changed my sills from concrete to granite. No extra charge from blocklayers to fit them.

Fuchia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

fuchia wrote: »
    I changed my sills from concrete to granite. No extra charge from blocklayers to fit them.

Fuchia
    Why and how did you dig up this thread????

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭fuchia

Very slow day at the office:)

Advertisement